Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,238,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Psshh.

Not a jab at the Front Range, but...

If you want to live from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, then do it. But to do it right, live up in Briargate or Surrey Ridge or Cherry Creek or 2 miles up Upper Bear Creek Road in Evergreen.

Be rich, have a two income household. Drive around in a Landrover and a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe.

Do it up. $600.00/month car payment? No problem.

What the heck? It's only money.

With regards to Pueblo, it's been a while since I've heard denizens from Colorado Springs or Denver brag about how much less violent crime they have compared to Pueblo... lately.

If you want good schools in Pueblo County, I recommend you look at the Colorado City/Rye area, Pueblo West, or maybe Pueblo County out on the Mesa.
Pssh. I no longer live in Colorado period my friend. But if i did, i would not want to live anywhere south of Castle Rock. I love Colorado Springs, I love Pueblo but at this point in my life, i don't think i could do either. I've always thought Colorado Springs lacked severely on the entertainment side of things for a city of its size, although with the new adult arcades around town and developments, its slowly changing. Pueblo, well i have good memories at CSU Pueblo but most of the entertainment we did in Pueblo involved kegger house parties and getting stoned everyday after class.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:57 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,267,489 times
C2H! I remember you. Well have fun in Houston. How bout them Texans?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,240 times
Thumbs up Pueblo it shall be (Don't be hating on Pueblo Denver people)

I have lived in Pueblo since I was 3 years old and sometimes I wish I lived up in Denver or Colorado Springs because there is a lot more to do. But at the end of the day, I am happy that I live in Pueblo, surrounded by my family and friends. I live in Pueblo West to be precise, which is a beautiful neighborhood that has hardly any crime, great schools, and a great view of the mountains. The new developments on the north side of Pueblo are very nice suburb style homes, while the south side has many large trees and has older retro style homes. I am with a lot of the previous posters about the bad sides of the city such as the east side, Bessemer, etc. Don't listen to Dave Barnes up there about the negatives about Pueblo, he is probably just a native of Denver that doesn't think anybody should live elsewhere. I do have quite a few things to say about Denver that I truly hate! Such as the citizens that hardly glance at you because they think they should be the kings of the town, or they are way to busy to even say "hi". We do have a smaller unemployment rate I must say but the drive up to Colorado Springs takes less time than traveling from Denver's west side to the airport on the east side. So many people I know work up in Colorado Springs.
Denver also has horrible unsafe drivers that drive 80 MPH in a blizzard on I-25, NO KIDDING! Probably the best thing about Pueblo is that downtown it feels like a large city, while you can drive 15 miles west and you are in a prairie. I did some research, and I saw that Pueblo is the second cheapest place to live in the U.S. It is really nice to have a little extra change in your pocket!
So if you are coming to Colorado for the snow, Pueblo is not the place to please you with snow. Pueblo is the only Desert east of the continental divide that receives, at the most, 1ft of that wonderful white stuff per year. The same goes with rain, we don't get much of it either, but when it decides to rain, it rains heavily! So, are you impressed of our small family down here in Pueblo? Come and give us a try and live here!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmclau View Post
I have lived in Pueblo since I was 3 years old and sometimes I wish I lived up in Denver or Colorado Springs because there is a lot more to do. But at the end of the day, I am happy that I live in Pueblo, surrounded by my family and friends. I live in Pueblo West to be precise, which is a beautiful neighborhood that has hardly any crime, great schools, and a great view of the mountains. The new developments on the north side of Pueblo are very nice suburb style homes, while the south side has many large trees and has older retro style homes. I am with a lot of the previous posters about the bad sides of the city such as the east side, Bessemer, etc. Don't listen to Dave Barnes up there about the negatives about Pueblo, he is probably just a native of Denver that doesn't think anybody should live elsewhere. I do have quite a few things to say about Denver that I truly hate! Such as the citizens that hardly glance at you because they think they should be the kings of the town, or they are way to busy to even say "hi". We do have a smaller unemployment rate I must say but the drive up to Colorado Springs takes less time than traveling from Denver's west side to the airport on the east side. So many people I know work up in Colorado Springs.
Denver also has horrible unsafe drivers that drive 80 MPH in a blizzard on I-25, NO KIDDING!

Probably the best thing about Pueblo is that downtown it feels like a large city, while you can drive 15 miles west and you are in a prairie.

I did some research, and I saw that Pueblo is the second cheapest place to live in the U.S. It is really nice to have a little extra change in your pocket!
So if you are coming to Colorado for the snow, Pueblo is not the place to please you with snow. Pueblo is the only Desert east of the continental divide that receives, at the most, 1ft of that wonderful white stuff per year. The same goes with rain, we don't get much of it either, but when it decides to rain, it rains heavily! So, are you impressed of our small family down here in Pueblo? Come and give us a try and live here!
Excellent post! I could not have said it better myself. I really liked your comment about our downtown and I never thought of it that way but you are 100% correct.

One thing that you might not know is the city is applying for a state tourism grant that would allow us to double the size of the convention center, build a Professional Bull Riders training facility that will be called PBR University and it will be one large complex that could be used for conventions making it close to 250,000 square feet. It will, also, have a theater for concerts and a Olympic size pool for swimming events. They predict over 800,000 people a year will come to downtown after its built. This will cause more condos, restaurants, retail stores, and hotels to be built making that a busy area and more like a big city downtown then it is now.

Here is a link to the thread for you, and the OP, to look at if you want more information on it: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-tour-16.html

Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM

17,669 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default I drink to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
will be called PBR University
I will drink to that.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmclau View Post
Denver also has horrible unsafe drivers that drive 80 MPH in a blizzard on I-25, NO KIDDING! Probably the best thing about Pueblo is that downtown it feels like a large city, while you can drive 15 miles west and you are in a prairie. I did some research, and I saw that Pueblo is the second cheapest place to live in the U.S. It is really nice to have a little extra change in your pocket!
Thanks for the invite, Pueblo is definitely on our radar

We like Denver for the fact that it is a large city, like Miami, and all of the amenities that come with large cities. However, we absolutely like the feel of a small/mid-size city such as Pueblo. My two options are as follows (job wise) either obtain a Colorado teaching license and teach in Puelo, or utilize my military experience, along with my TS clearance and work in Colorado Springs, either scenarios will work for us, and we plan to buy a house n Pueblo. For now, (that is until we visit and just in case we don't like it) it looks like we are leaning towards Pueblo. We just like the fact that it is small, and we are still close by to Denver and Clorado Springs. We will keep you guys posted

Old 12-15-2011, 12:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,238,398 times
Quote:
C2H! I remember you. Well have fun in Houston. How bout them Texans?
Yeah the texans are finally seeing some success after 10 years strong in the game. What part of Houston did you visit?

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 38,679 times
Default Pueblo will be discovered once people take a closer look at the data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Your welcome! I have a lot of knowledge about Pueblo so any question you have feel free to ask.........

That is a really cute house but I always advise people to avoid the east side of town as well as Bessemer and the area town town by the state hospital. I always tell people to look at the south side of town, north side of town or Pueblo West (Pueblo's largest suburb). From reading you post I think you would like the area by Pueblo Community College (PCC) or CSU Pueblo. PCC is more in the center of the city while CSU Pueblo is on the north side and the houses are newer but both areas are very nice and you can find affordable houses.
I agree completely with Josseppie's guidance regarding avoiding the East Side. It's too bad because the East Side has some cool houses and people there have a strong sense of community but the crime and the schools are horrible. In fact, the reputation of Pueblo and Pueblo schools is much worse than it deserves to be because crime statistics and school test scores for Pueblo are pulled way down because of what's happening on the East side of town. Northside, Belmont, Mesa Junction, Aberdeen - these are all great areas with something for just about everyone.

I grew up in Pueblo, moved away for college, grad school and work but in the last 2 years have started investing in Pueblo real estate, primarily in the Mesa Junction area near PCC and plan to move back soon. Pueblo is a fantastic value. Best weather in the state of Colorado, lowest cost of living in the country, rich in history and diversity, excellent cultural activities, CSU-P and PCC are emerging as excellent low-cost options for college, etc. If you want big city entertainment, drive 40 min to the Springs or 90 min to Denver. I made it to the Denver airport from Pueblo in 90 minutes (on a Sat - no traffic in CS) last week. You can drive up for Broncos/Rockies/Nuggets games - are you really going to attend every event? Is it worth paying triple for housing so you only have to drive an hour less? Same for other events/activities.

In Pueblo you can buy a nice house in a decent neighborhood for under $100k. If you're handy you can buy a decent house that needs work for under $50k. Really. Try that in Denver or CS. Or anywhere else that has 300+ days of sunshine a year.

If you're worried about education for your child, check out the excellent magnet and charter schools or send your kids to fancy private schools in CS with the money you're saving on housing.

Another great thing about Pueblo is ease of driving around town. CS and Denver are congested and it takes a long time to get from point A to point B. You can get just about anywhere in Pueblo in under 10 minutes. It's a beautiful thing. Leaves more time so you can enjoy a slopper and a schooner for lunch.

For people who sling mud at Pueblo, let them sling until they realize they're paying 2-3 times extra for more traffic, worse weather and probably living in a neighborhood that resembles just about every other subdivision in the Western US built in the last decade, devoid of personality and completely car-dependent. If you've seen the opening for Weeds (tv series on showtime) then you know what I mean. That's life in suburban Denver, just like "Aggrestic".

I predict that Pueblo will be discovered in the next 10-20 years, especially as boomers retire with insufficient funding and more and more people telecommute from home offices and realize they can live anywhere. If you buy a house now and lock in your mortgage or pay cash, you'll be all set. Wait 10-15 years and you'll probably be paying substantially higher prices.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM

16 posts, read 38,679 times
Quote:
Psshh.

Not a jab at the Front Range, but...

If you want to live from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, then do it. But to do it right, live up in Briargate or Surrey Ridge or Cherry Creek or 2 miles up Upper Bear Creek Road in Evergreen.

Be rich, have a two income household. Drive around in a Landrover and a Cadillac CTS-V Coupe.

Do it up. $600.00/month car payment? No problem.

What the heck? It's only money.

With regards to Pueblo, it's been a while since I've heard denizens from Colorado Springs or Denver brag about how much less violent crime they have compared to Pueblo... lately.

If you want good schools in Pueblo County, I recommend you look at the Colorado City/Rye area, Pueblo West, or maybe Pueblo County out on the Mesa.
I like this post. And I agree that Pueblo County D-70 schools are probably a better bet than D-60. But, I wouldn't recommend Pueblo West. Lots of people love it but mostly it's a good place to buy cheap land and build a new house with a view of the rockies. Personally, I wouldn't want to live there because it always seems windy and the drive to/from Pueblo on Hwy 50 can be crowded. I like the northside, especially in the "Avenues" north of 24th and west of Elizabeth if you're looking for bargains. Near the Country Club or in Northridge/Eagleridge you can find something more upscale. Belmont near CSU-P is a nice area as well. You can spend loads of cash for a fancy house on the Walking Stick golf course but I wouldn't - bad soil out that way and no personality.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 13,628 times
Living in Pueblo is an aquired taste.many people just do not care for it as much as they do the other cities along the front range.I have lived in colorado springs and i just enjoy Pueblo west and its simplicity more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver