U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,981,129 times

Advertisements

I've always have been a big fan of your city and find it very likable...but they are two things that would possibly drive me bonkers if I lived there...
1, even though it's somewhat minor, are the big time temperature and weather changes, I don't think there's any other city in the country (major anyway) that can have 0 degrees F one week and than 1 week later have 50 with all the snow gone, even in Dec and Jan.
Secondly, though and this is the ? I have for you all....how do you feel about your closest city or metro area, with over a million people. just like your town, being almost 500 miles away?
And that area is Salt Lake City, that's not like a NYC, Miami or LA by any stretch, of course.....
or since you figure you have all you need right there, who cares?
It's just like, if I want to see a NFL game, besides the Bronco's, I'd have to drive almost 700 miles or a major performer like Lady Gaga (just throwing that out there, not a fan of hers)....I'd probably have to go all the way to Albuquerque, if I couldn't catch it in Denver......
Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,725,435 times
Yeah the temperature can change a lot, this certainly isn't the only place that happens. The record temperature shift is in Montana, where it went from -50 to 50F in 24 hours.

Doesn't matter to me the closest other big city is SLC, Denver is big enough city and has pretty much everything I would want out of a city. Any other city I would want to go to would be a plane trip / vacation anyway.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 PM

129 posts, read 200,023 times
I do think the isolation, and distance from other large cities is a minus, in my case especially (as a musician).... However, it's not near as isolated as living in Hawaii was, altho I'd still go back to live there...

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM

16,885 posts, read 26,216,271 times
Default Yes, it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
how do you feel about your closest city or metro area, with over a million people. just like your town, being almost 500 miles away?
Not good. We don't have Trader Joes for that reason. It took IKEA forever to come here.

On the other hand, we have 700 miles to the east of us to bury our trash before hitting Kansas City. No landfill shortage here.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,587,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not good. We don't have Trader Joes for that reason. It took IKEA forever to come here.

On the other hand, we have 700 miles to the east of us to bury our trash before hitting Kansas City. No landfill shortage here.
lol! Maybe Kansas should put that on their license plates. "America's Landfill".

I've heard that since TJs has built a distribution center in Ft. Worth, we're on the short list to get stores

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM

What's the big deal with TJ's anyway? People were raving about IKEA but I went there and it actually ended up sucking

Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I've always have been a big fan of your city and find it very likable...but they are two things that would possibly drive me bonkers if I lived there...
1, even though it's somewhat minor, are the big time temperature and weather changes, I don't think there's any other city in the country (major anyway) that can have 0 degrees F one week and than 1 week later have 50 with all the snow gone, even in Dec and Jan.
Secondly, though and this is the ? I have for you all....how do you feel about your closest city or metro area, with over a million people. just like your town, being almost 500 miles away?
And that area is Salt Lake City, that's not like a NYC, Miami or LA by any stretch, of course.....
or since you figure you have all you need right there, who cares?
It's just like, if I want to see a NFL game, besides the Bronco's, I'd have to drive almost 700 miles or a major performer like Lady Gaga (just throwing that out there, not a fan of hers)....I'd probably have to go all the way to Albuquerque, if I couldn't catch it in Denver......
Thoughts?
I never think of Denver as being isolated. You can drive to so many interesting things/places in the mountains and be home the same day. It's only about an hour and a half flight to the West Coast.

As for the temperatures, it was 64 degrees in the city on Sunday, then snowed yesterday. Yes, it's crazy. But better than being somewhere where the temperature doesn't get above freezing for months on end. And Summer is quite consistent (not the wild temperature swings) and extremely pleasant.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
What's the big deal with TJ's anyway? People were raving about IKEA but I went there and it actually ended up sucking
It's a HUGE deal! And when TJs comes to Denver (oh yes, they WILL come), you too will fall under the spell. They lure you in with the cheap and tasty salsa and before you know it, you're hooked on the affordable, yet delicious frozen meals in a bag, cheeses, and nuts so cheap, you'll buy them for the squirrels in your yard

Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's a HUGE deal! And when TJs comes to Denver (oh yes, they WILL come), you too will fall under the spell. They lure you in with the cheap and tasty salsa and before you know it, you're hooked on the affordable, yet delicious frozen meals in a bag, cheeses, and nuts so cheap, you'll buy them for the squirrels in your yard
I just want Dunkin Donuts to come, that's the only thing not here that I miss about the east, and really about it.

I heard they were expanding to Denver in early 2013

I will try this TJs though if they do show up

Old 12-20-2011, 04:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,981,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I never think of Denver as being isolated. You can drive to so many interesting things/places in the mountains and be home the same day. It's only about an hour and a half flight to the West Coast.

As for the temperatures, it was 64 degrees in the city on Sunday, then snowed yesterday. Yes, it's crazy. But better than being somewhere where the temperature doesn't get above freezing for months on end. And Summer is quite consistent (not the wild temperature swings) and extremely pleasant.
Of course, it's not isolated from outdoor recreation and smaller cities like Cheyenne, but you have to admit it is isolated from other major cities and driving in a car, is a lot easier to go to somewhere, than flying is for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>