Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM

40 posts, read 174,831 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Having recently graduated with a bachelor in Criminal Justice I was fortunate enough to learn a lot about gang activity in cities all over America. Although Denver has/does have gang activity it is not near as bad as other major cities in the US. One thing that Denver does have is an active gang unit which strives on helping Denver’s youth before they can get hooked on the “thug life” or helping them get out of it. If you do find yourself in an area in CO where gang activity is present you will just have to work close with the community to get your kids involved in programs and school. All of these areas that you mentioned do have good schools and communities you just have to put yourself in the right neighborhoods J[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 12,445 times
I think that where ever u go gangs are gona be there period. you can live in a "bad" hood N not get intourble, it just depends on YOU as a person, i lived in montbello N i didnt get involed with gangs or nothing because I KNOW BETTER! peer preesure sucks but again it depend how strong YOU ARE!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM

66 posts, read 319,137 times
Default Gangs are a problem anywhere

Anywhere and any big city you go to in america, your gonna have gangs and sketchy neighborhoods. Everyone on this forum seems to be talking about east denver and montbello/aurora/park hill/5 points. And there's a lot of gang activity in those areas. Primarely african american gangs claim those neighborhoods in east denver. Except in north aurora there is a large hispanic population of gangs/sets/etc. So if you want the african americans then you should go to southeast denver or east denver. However, there have been growing hispanic sections in east denver (five points, cole, whittier, clayton, etc). But if you want the hisanic/latino (mostly mexican american) sections of denver, then go to north denver, northwest denver, west denver, southwest denver, and northeast denver. northeast denver is like elyria swansea and commerce city. southwest denver is the areas around lincoln high school and kennedy high school. west denver is the areas that feed west high school. northwest denver is the edgewater/sloans lake/edgewood/northeast lakewood neighborhoods. north denver is the neighborhoods feeding north high school. And there is a poster who is saying that in aurora his car was stolen and all that other stuff in one night. they've obviously never lived west of highway I-25. from between highway I-76 and hamden ave and from casa bonita on west colfax to highway I-25, thats the latino history and culture in denver. the hispanic gangs run northeast denver, north denver, northwest denver, west denver, and southwest denver. and most of aurora is nice. north aurora the hood and west aurora is sketchy but south and east aurora are VERY NICE. very wealthy areas. the areas that arent in denver county that are "the hood" or have gangs are commerce city, north and west aurora, northeast lakewood, edgewood, edgewater, twin lakes and sherrelwood. and FEDERAL HEIGHTS IS NOT BAD!!!!! federal heights is just like hill billys in westminster. trust me on this. its about half white and half hispanic but not gangster or all hispanic. North high, jefferson high, west high, lincoln high, kennedy high, and adams city high are all latino schools. south high is about a third white, a third african american, and a third hispanic. george washington high is half african american, a quarter white, and a quarter hispanic. manual high is about half african american and half hispanic now days. east high is about 60% african american, 20% white and 20% hispanic. montbello is no longer the african american neighborhood or school that it was in the 80s and 90s and early 00s. its about 60% hispanic and 40% african american. aurora central high is three quarters hispanic and a quarter african american. the gangs follow the way the neighborhoods are. so at north, west, lincoln, jefferson, kennedy, and adams city, your gonna find all hispanic (mostly mexican) gangs.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekks View Post
I know this thread is old but I need to add my 2 cent's. Being a white boy who grew up in north denver.. Yea colorado does have gangs and no they arnt a joke. I ran with NSM, Nordenos, ect all the northside clicks and they where brutal. Not one weekend party we went to that didnt get shot up. Alot of my friends got shot, went to jail or died before I decided it was time to move and leave that BS behind.

What you need to understand about denver.. it's so diverse and so big that there are no real ghettos that you need to worry about going to. You could be at the mall in middle of whitevill and see someone get shot.

Just because its not watts, or compton dont think your safe. Cross the wrong person and you will find that out.
I agree. ive heard of all the north side sets.
WikiAnswers - What are the names of gangs in Denver Coloardo
This is a list created by the denver gang and graffiti task force. its a list of all the denver metro area sets.

I live on west colfax ave and benton street. my neighborhood feeds jefferson high school and west high school. its all latino areas man. North high is all north siders (nsm, uta, XIV) and jefferson high is a mix of north siders who live by 26th and 29th and sheridan, and the west siders who live down by west colfax ave. to me the main latino culture in denver resides from I-70 and sheridan blvd to sheridan and hamden ave. and I-76 and federal down to hamden and federal. and west colfax ave and teller st down to west colfax ave and federal. the latino (mostly mexican) schools are north high school, jefferson high school, west high school, lincoln high school, kennedy high school, and adams city high school.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Default Neighborhoods

Im only talking about northeast denver, north denver, northwest denver, west denver, and southwest denver.

Northeast denver-feeds manual high school and adams city high school
elyria swansea-87% latino
commerce city-84% latino

north denver-feeds north high school
chaffee park-92% latino
regis-75% latino
berkeley-76% latino
sunnyside-87% latino
globeville-91% latino
highland-87% latino
west highland-71% latino
jefferson park-89% latino

northwest denver-feeds jefferson high school/north high school
sloan lake-72% latino
edgewater-82% latino
edgewood-80% latino
northeast lakewood-80% latino

west denver-feeds west high school
west colfax-84% latino
sun valley-56% latino, 26% african american, 10% asian
villa park-92% latino
barnum west-93% latino
barnum-93% latino
valverde-88% latino
lincoln park-94% latino
baker-82% latino

southwest denver- feeds lincoln high and kennedy high
westwood-88% latino
athmar park-89% latino
ruby hill-85% latino
mar lee-84% latino
harvey park-81% latino
harvey park south-70% latino
college view-75% latino, 10% asian
bear valley-60% latino, 15% asian
overland-65% latino, 15% african american

Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
Im only talking about northeast denver, north denver, northwest denver, west denver, and southwest denver.

Northeast denver-feeds manual high school and adams city high school
elyria swansea-87% latino
commerce city-84% latino

north denver-feeds north high school
chaffee park-92% latino
regis-75% latino
berkeley-76% latino
sunnyside-87% latino
globeville-91% latino
highland-87% latino
west highland-71% latino
jefferson park-89% latino

northwest denver-feeds jefferson high school/north high school
sloan lake-72% latino
edgewater-82% latino
edgewood-80% latino
northeast lakewood-80% latino

west denver-feeds west high school
west colfax-84% latino
sun valley-56% latino, 26% african american, 10% asian
villa park-92% latino
barnum west-93% latino
barnum-93% latino
valverde-88% latino
lincoln park-94% latino
baker-82% latino

southwest denver- feeds lincoln high and kennedy high
westwood-88% latino
athmar park-89% latino
ruby hill-85% latino
mar lee-84% latino
harvey park-81% latino
harvey park south-70% latino
college view-75% latino, 10% asian
bear valley-60% latino, 15% asian
overland-65% latino, 15% african american
I don't know where you're getting these numbers, but they are all way off.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't know where you're getting these numbers, but they are all way off.
i was not talking about the neighborhoods as a whole. iw as speaking specifically about the schools in those neighborhoods. And the schools in those neighborhoods are all those.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
i was not talking about the neighborhoods as a whole. iw as speaking specifically about the schools in those neighborhoods. And the schools in those neighborhoods are all those.
So, you pulled those stats from elementary schools?

I better watch myself around those thuggish 5th graders from now on....

Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
I am having a little difficulty understanding some of these newer posts. So, all these schools have a high percentage of Latino and we, the readers, are supposed to draw bad conclusions from that fact. I have lived in the Denver area, for a long time. I have been to all these neighborhoods. OK, I have not been to these schools but as it was pointed out many are elementary. So, what is the point?

It does not make me afraid. It does not make me upset because the poster alleges his knowledge about Gang activities and Gang names. Maybe in his associated group of the uneducated and the under achievers, this information affects his life. I have seen this attitude before, making more of what is real to make one important. Look at me--I am part of the mafia, the street gangs, I know the names; I know their signs etc., when the only importance is among the delinquent few.

Most people in all these neighborhood go about living good lives and striving hard to survive. To stereotype a whole group for perceived bad behavior because people are Latino, Hispanic, Black, Asian, or in my case of Sicilian Immigrants is just ignorant.

I grew up in New York and I have left many of my prejudices; and I now view people as individuals;they are individually bad or individually good but I will not ascribe bad behavior because one is part of a group, by religion, color or ethnic origin.

Yes, this is a over used lecture about what it takes, to get along in a multicultural society, but it must be the way, even if it becomes difficult and challenging. For, there is no other way into the future for the "peace" in America and the "piece" of the American Dream for all.

Livecontent

Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So, you pulled those stats from elementary schools?

I better watch myself around those thuggish 5th graders from now on....
No, from all schools in the areas combined. High schools, middle schools, and elementary schools. And dont say im a racist against latinos or something. Im half mexican (my mom was a chicano) and half greek. And im not saying there arent hard working mexicans in these areas and great people. im just saying that yes there are gangs present in these areas. But if you chose to stay straight and avoid from interracting with the gang kids then you should be alright. And no you should not be afraid of 5th graders, you make me laugh. Please go to north high, jefferson high, lincoln high, west high, adams city high, and kennedy high, and tell the gang kids attending the schools that there not for real or that you can take them. Because it wouldn't happen that way trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver