U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 23,263 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I am new to this board but have enjoyed reading everyones posts. We are a family of five from San Diego and just recently made a move to Las Vegas (BAD DECISION!!). We are in a postion to move again and are seriously thinking of Colorado, somewhere outside of Denver as my husband has to stay close to a city for work.

What are some good areas? My husband and I will be flying to Denver this weekend and are staying in Englewood and plan on traveling to different areas to see what appeals to us. Some of the areas we have looked at online are communities outside of Boulder. We've also been told that North on the 25 is lots of small dommunities being built up. Another town we hear is nice is Bailey.

We will be looking to rent at first, either an apartment or maybe a house. We are definately looking for good schools, we have a daughter who just started middle school, one in first and a son who is 4. We would like somewhat of a small community, maybe not even so samll as just a place that has a good sense of family. Here in Vegas there is none of that! This is definately not the place to raise children!!

How are utilities outside of Denver? What about groceries and gas for your car? Any info on the cost of necessities would be greatly appreciated. Is $30 an hour a decent enough wage in Colorado? We are not looking to move to any richy area, we are very conservative. We will be taking a pay cut to move but you need every bit of the higher wage to live in San Diego and Vegas.

Again I appreciate any info. Can't wait to go to Denver this weekend and hopefully start planning our way out of Vegas!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 PM

11,657 posts, read 32,638,123 times
towns north of denver off i-25 are new construction. new services. old farmland. Dacona, Erie, Brighton.

How close is close to a city for your husband to work in? Bailey would be an hour, one way.

Average house price in the metro area is $265,000. Gas $2.70 today, and groceries? I spend $400 a month give or take.

Family friendly? Go south to Castle Rock or Parker or Highlands Ranch. Cheaper housing and highly rated schools. Take Lincoln east to Parker, west to HR and south on 25 to Castle Rock.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 424,672 times
Default you will love Colorado

My sister and brother live in San Diego and I am still stuck in the Bay Area but I know Colorado a bit, it is where my wife is from and we visit her family often. Check out all the citys close to where your work is. I personally have chosen Parker but Lone Tree, Highland Ranch and Littleton are very nice as well. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 23,263 times
Thank you for the response! My husband and I just spent last weekend in Colorado. Although we didnt' have a lot of time we drove most of the suburbs around Denver. We also visited Parker and liked it alot. I think we both liked Castle Rock the best though. Littleton was nice also. We couldn't get over how nice people were no matter where you went. We are now waiting to hear about a job for my husband, hopefully by the end of this week so we can get our kids out of Vegas!! This place is terrible, I'm about ready to take the kids out of school and just home school them until we get to Colorado. Where in San Diego does your family live? Are they happy there or also looking to move? Do you like the Bay area? I visited a few times as a kid. I hear it's very busy now. Thanks again for the info!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:37 PM

11,657 posts, read 32,638,123 times
Good luck on the offer. I was the trailing spouse 17 years ago from the bay area, never looked back.

Weather is sunny, sky is blue, mountains are beautiful.
Housing is newer, appealing, more affordable than CA
Traffic is better than I have ever experienced in SF, CA or DC
Schools where I live in Douglas County are highly rated. Tag line: "learn today. lead tomorrow."
Lots of stores being opened. Lot of commercial buildings being sold for record prices.
Real Estate market, decidedly on the buyers side. Great time to buy, here and put down roots.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 AM

8,476 posts, read 18,968,306 times
We moved to Colorado, Englewood first and now in Parker. Have been here for 4 1/2 years (Parker, 2 1/2). We own a house in south Parker. Parker is great, but growing fairly fast......lots of people at the Wal Mart on the weekend and a new Target Supercenter opening in Oct. Parker isn't as much the "small town" environment as it use to be.....ask anyone who has lived there for years. Lots and lots of new houses being built.
You also know that we can get some fairly nasty thunderstorms, heavy lightning and hail here? Winter can get somewhat nasty also.....freezing temps, snow and sometime blizzard conditions. I have video and photos of all of it. We have seen snow on Halloween as well as Mothers Day weekend.
Just be sure you understand this stuff before you move here.
We lived in So. Calif. for a number of years, but are orginally from Ind. and Mich. and knew what the weather was like here. It don't really bother us.
Good Luck

Old 09-26-2006, 08:49 PM

648 posts, read 2,832,202 times
Hey there-

Denver is a great area. However, Colorado Springs is more conservative and is smaller then Denver. It is about 40 minutes south of Denver. There is plenty of jobs down here aswell. Just an area you might want to look into. What does your husband do? SHEP

Old 10-01-2006, 12:47 AM

76 posts, read 235,138 times
Just an FYI on the schools when comparing them to California's - while Douglas county has the best schools along w/ Cherry Creek, there is no state adopted curriculum therefore there is no text book funding. Each teacher is on their own as far as their resources are concerned. Each district decides where to spend their money and it may or may not go to books. Hard to compare apples to apples given that the state testing is not the same as California's.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 AM

21 posts, read 152,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashep View Post
Hey there-

Denver is a great area. However, Colorado Springs is more conservative and is smaller then Denver. It is about 40 minutes south of Denver. There is plenty of jobs down here aswell. Just an area you might want to look into. What does your husband do? SHEP
Shep,

Colorado Springs sounds wonderful. Can you tell me how I would go about finding the aerospace industry jobs in the Springs? We've looked at the civilian airforce aerospace/defense jobs but where would we get info on the private contractors in the area? Thanks for any help.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 AM

24,421 posts, read 45,310,536 times
Default Col Spgs Job Data has been posted to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandmama
Shep, Colorado Springs sounds wonderful. Can you tell me how I would go about finding the aerospace industry jobs in the Springs? We've looked at the civilian airforce aerospace/defense jobs but where would we get info on the private contractors in the area? Thanks for any help.
Try this link:
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ed=1#post53028

s/Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver