Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 AM

40 posts, read 281,588 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some information about the attorney job market in Denver? I am a transactional attorney and specialize in water law and some environmental matters. I assuem there is a lot of work in this area and that housing is affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,130 times
I would think that you would be able to find a job around here since water rights is a hot topic here in CO. But I know nothing specific about the job possibilities.

What is your definition of affordable housing? Are you interested in city, suburban or rural living? Particulars would help us narrow things down for you.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Here is one lawyer's opinion. I have quoted this several times. I would think attorneys would know this stuff.

posted by bouldergranola:
Quote:
The local bar is small and quite collegial - we're all mostly graduates of CU or DU law school. It's great for us who go to school here and want to practice in Denver, but it makes it very, very hard for outsiders (non-Denverites) to find employment. Strong alumni ties play a huge part in law firm recruitment and hiring.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:41 AM

40 posts, read 281,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Here is one lawyer's opinion. I have quoted this several times. I would think attorneys would know this stuff.

posted by bouldergranola:
Quote:
The local bar is small and quite collegial - we're all mostly graduates of CU or DU law school. It's great for us who go to school here and want to practice in Denver, but it makes it very, very hard for outsiders (non-Denverites) to find employment. Strong alumni ties play a huge part in law firm recruitment and hiring.
Thanks for the info.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
You're welcome.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,209 times
Default Attorney Jobs in Denver

Hello all -

My fiance and I are planning on relocating to Denver from Las Vegas and I'm looking for some information on the legal field in the local area. We have visited Denver numerous times and fell in love with the city instantly. We have had our dream on hold for quite a while....keep hoping that the economy would pick up. We're starting to feel like it's now or never as far as moving, but I don't want to make a huge mistake by leaving the job I have now if I'm not going to be able to find employment any time in the near future in Denver.

The bar in Vegas is different than most cities - we're a more transient town, so it seems to be a little more open to outsiders than most cities. I've been sending resumes to some places in Denver, but haven't had a whole lot of luck. I've been an attorney in Nevada for 5 years now and have some significant trial experience, so I'm not applying fresh out of school. I have also passed the February 2009 Colorado bar, so I'm licensed. However, I am obviously applying from out of state, so I'm not sure if that is the reason for the lack of interest, or if there are just not many attorney jobs out there right now.

Any info would be appreciated. Again, I don't want to make a huge mistake by leaving my job, but we've also been wanting to make this move for over 2 years now and can't keep waiting much longer. Thanks all!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,209 times
Hi -

I had seen that previous posting; however, it was over two years old. The economy has obviously changed substantially in the past couple years, so I was wondering if anyone had updated info on the attorney job market there now. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:17 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I work in law, although not a lawyer. A friend just told me about how her husband has been searching for months for work. He has a job now but hates it. He's been sending out hundreds of resumes. Just recently he had a interview. They chose 40 applicants, then interviewed 20. He didn't get it. He has five years under his belt and graduated at DU here.

Things are not so good in law right now. We all have jobs, those of us that have them anyway, and there have been very minimal layoffs, but absolutely no hiring is going on. Sorry I couldn't bear better news! I know things aren't going well in Vegas either. If you have work in Vegas, my advice is to sit tight until things pick up. You are competing against an entire host of Colo. natives in jobs.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,482 times
There are no jobs in Denver. I got laid off in July after working for 6 months post law school. I have gone on 2 interviews since July and one of them was for the firm mentioned above who interviewed 20 people. They told me they got over 200 resumes and the associate who interviewed me is now no longer with the firm. A craigslist posting I replied to got over 70 applicants. I'm also applying to Seattle firms from Denver and they sometimes don't even send me a rejection letter so I think every market is bad right now and applying from out of state makes things more difficult because you cannot easily go in for an interview.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,241 times
Colorado, particularly Denver has one of the worst attorney job markets in the country. We were hit hard by the recession. Even if you come from a first tier law school, graduated in the top 25% and have years of experience, you will have a very difficult time finding a job here and competition with be fierce. If you move here, have enough money for 6+ months of unemployment.

Colorado was hit very hard by the recession. [url=http://www.nalp.org/law_firm_jobs_in_2010]NALP - The Association for Legal Career Professionals | Law Firm Jobs in 2010 - A Tale of 20 Cities[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: