Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,079 times

Advertisements

Hi all - i'm excited to make my first post here (apparently I'm easily excited)

I've been reading the forum for a few hours today and I'm looking for some very specific guidance and suggestions. I'll do my best to keep everything as brief as possible and I totally apologize if it still ends up long winded.

Me: early 30's. Any week I either work at home or I'm flying out of DEN to anywhere in the country or Oz. I've lived right downtown for 2 years and I'm totally spoiled walking to everything it offers. I'll head out to the mountains weekly during the season but I HATE driving in traffic. Actually i generally hate driving anywhere.

What I want: my current loft is not large enough for 2 people and I want something larger. Budget is preferably $350k or less for a 3br. I don't mean to insult fans of older construction but I really hate the aesthetics of it (and I couldn't fix a house to save my life). I need the high tech, high efficiency home.

South and West of downtown is eliminated because I can't go further from the airport. Out of everywhere I've looked with my realtor my favorite spots have come down to:

Broomfield - I love how wide open it can be. I bike a lot and the attraction of biking from home to the foothills is huge. I like being inbetween Boulder and Denver and the tollroad gives me easy access to DEN. The drawback is that I can't seem to find homes within walking distance of bars/restaurants/city centers/ect and downtown Denver becomes a quick walk into a 20-30 min drive without traffic.

Stapleton - I'll be careful here because I see that there are a lot of ..strong.. opinions regarding the community but I viewed a 3/3 right on central park that I really like. There is a smattering of food/drink choices a quick walk away and more will eventually be built. The light rail will be a huge benefit for getting to the airport. I have trail access to the cherry creek bike trail.

What I need to help with is two fold:
- Am I completely missing any communities/neighborhoods you feel are a great fit? Perhaps I need to look more into Arvada?
- What should I expect lifestyle-wise with living in either of these two choices? Will I need to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere in Broomfield? Will the open spaces eventually be eliminated by new construction? Are Stapleton residents ...how can I put this without insulting anyone...the kind of white people who go to Kevin James movies or may think the Stepford Wives is a documentary or is that more a Highlands Ranch thing?

Totally appreciate any help from people who know these areas well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
try east - closer to work.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default My advice

1. I-70 gets you to the airport.

2. All (and, yes, I am exaggerating) the restaurants in greater Denver are:
a. north of Hampden Ave
b. east of Sheridan Blvd
c. west of Colorado Blvd
d. south of 44th Ave

3. Surf to Zillow and use filters to find possibilities.
a. I would set the max price at $375K
b. I would set the min year to 2000

4. My personal bias is "the North Side".
For example: 4539 Tennyson St, Denver, CO 80212 MLS# 1057977 - Zillow
which is 4 blocks from my house in Berkeley.
You want new? These 7 units are really new.
Walk Score of 90+.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:21 PM

Thanks Dave!

Those lofts look really nice but the footage and lack of a 3rd BR might keep me away. If I finish the basement in the new construction in Stapleton it bumps me up to around 2400 and provides the cave i need to hide in when the lady is home.

I'm going to zillow your surrounding area and see what single family homes are available as well

Hey Dave - are you familiar with the housing near the corner of Wolff St and 38th Avenue right behind the Sunflower Market? There are nice looking homes right there but I know nothing of the history of the surrounding area.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIaLocalYet View Post
Hey Dave - are you familiar with the housing near the corner of Wolff St and 38th Avenue right behind the Sunflower Market? There are nice looking homes right there but I know nothing of the history of the surrounding area
I can answer that, as I live very near and shop at the Sunflower Market and my dentist is located in this development. Your post intrigue me and you write well with humor--I like that.

The development is Highlands Gardens Village (HVG) Highland's Village Garden It is the redevelopment of the old Elitch's Amusement Park. I think it is great little development. It really started the whole renewal in North Denver. HVG is not so exciting with many venues but it is connected right to Tennyson Street which has extensive amenities down a walkable street. Also you have access to all the exiting places on West 38th, from Wheat Ridge to Denver. HVG is in West Highland and Borders Berkeley; Highland is just east.

It does have many newer condos and apartments. I have seen many condos built all around the area and I think there is new place on West 44th near Sheridan. Parks and Open Space are extensive with Berkeley Lake, Rocky Mountain Lake, Sloans Lake, Inspiration Point and smaller parks all around the area.

I have lived just up the road in Arvada, of Tennyson for 26 years. This area was having difficulties when there was the Amusement Park. It was never decayed. The area was getting old and the Amusement attracted some rowdy people. That is all in the past. North Denver is what the whole areas is called and is Denver Dialect of the Northwest, centered on West 38th. North Denver was traditionally the Italian area and became mainly Hispanic. However, now the area is becoming the new "in" areas to live and is attracting all new people. The neighborhoods are being redeveloped and renewed and has many new residences with new shops, restaurants intermingled with the old. The area is much safer than the past and is attracting families with children. You will see many people strolling on the Streets.

Public transportation is good with bus service, direct to downtown on 38th, 44th, 32nd. and Sheridan, running North to South. I also do not like to drive; it shows as I drive now about 2500 to 3000 miles a year. I use public transit often and I know the routes. The area along Sheridan is going to see very significant changes in Public transit with the opening of the West Line to Lakewood with a station, just south of Colfax. That will open next year. Additionally, there will be a rail station on the Gold Line at West 60th and Sheridan, opening in 2016. That station is walkable from my house. Sheridan has many of the basic stores that North Denver lack and these changes to public transit are increasing developments nearby with significan development near Sloans Lake, in Edgewater.

Biking is very easy from this area to the local parks and you can easily go into Wheat Ridge which has one of the largest extensive park system along Clear Creek with trails.

What is the significant about the renewal of North Denver is that it affects the redevelopment of the older contiguous suburbs. That makes all the whole area a better place to live. We are improvement along 32nd, 38th, 44th in Wheat Ridge. Big Improvement in Edgewater. We will see improvements in Lakeside. Lakewood is now seeing fast redevelopment along West Colfax and anticipated development along the new rail line.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-07-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
That place on Tenneyson St looks would worry me, it sold a few months ago for $80k less than it's current listing price, i.e., price gouging?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM

that was a great reply - I think you may be vaguely familiar with your area.

I don't want to make strict comparisons but...how would you compare your area to living in Broomfield or Stapleton? Stapleton strikes me as very young, active and social which i prefer. Broomfield I have no idea because it's not as densely populated, right?

I'm over-analyzing everything because this is my second time purchasing a home and I'm trying to avoid the mistakes I made the first time and have everything perfect. I just can't quite figure out what perfect is.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM

30 posts, read 98,887 times
Maybe the area around Southlands Mall in southeast Aurora would fit your needs. E470 to get to DIA, buses to and from the mall that could take you to lite rail stops, plenty of shopping and eating... might be a consideration.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM

473 posts, read 849,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora303 View Post
Maybe the area around Southlands Mall in southeast Aurora would fit your needs. E470 to get to DIA, buses to and from the mall that could take you to lite rail stops, plenty of shopping and eating... might be a consideration.
If he likes being near the foothills and travels frequently to mountains that's way, way, too far away.

I'd stay with his original neighborhood, and he he can be need the "B" bus Park and Rides he'll find very easy access to Downtown Denver and Boulder, and the airport too via Skyride

Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIaLocalYet View Post
that was a great reply - I think you may be vaguely familiar with your area.

I don't want to make strict comparisons but...how would you compare your area to living in Broomfield or Stapleton? Stapleton strikes me as very young, active and social which i prefer. Broomfield I have no idea because it's not as densely populated, right?

I'm over-analyzing everything because this is my second time purchasing a home and I'm trying to avoid the mistakes I made the first time and have everything perfect. I just can't quite figure out what perfect is.
Broomfield is very family oriented city. It became a bedroom community for Boulder and Denver with easy access on I-36. It is changing rapidly because it is attracting many of the large retail and light industries that shy away from Boulder with their restricted growth and anti-business climate. It has also, 10 years ago, formed its own City/County, which the other is Denver, because it was over multiple counties. Now it is in full control of its own future.

It has a big mall, Flatirons, and all the shops in and and around plus the huge Interlocken Business Park. It has a good tax base from that area.

It has many new housing developments. There is big developing happening at Wadsworth and I-36 called Arista Arista You may look at this place as an option to live, as it has good public transit to the airport and downtown. It has many new condo developments. It has sort of slowed down in development with the recent economic downturn but will take off.

You cannot compare Stapleton with Broomfield. Stapleton is a development and neighborhood in Denver and Broomfield is a growing vibrant City/County. You have said it right, Stapleton does attract the young and social. Broomfield attracts the more conservative and family oriented with the exception of the Flatirons Mall http://www.flatironcrossing.com/ area and Arista.

The areas that would be best for you in Broomfield would be in and around Flatirons Mall or the Arista, as I mentioned. Most others areas of Broomfield are just newer or older developments with really no unique characteristics, other than sprawl. However, I do find the older denser neighborhoods along Midway, from 121 to Main Street, very nice and good for a family situation.

Flatirons Mall does have many condos around and it would be easy to bike. It is near a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Station. Arista will come to a big attractions, as it gets going. It is adjacent to a planned rail station and a BRT. Public transit will be great from all these locations. In addition the whole area is well served by a Call-n-Ride http://www.rtd-denver.com/PDF_Files/..._callnRide.pdf

Keep in mind that Broomfield shares many of the characteristics of Louisville and Lafayette as those cities are all close proximity and services amenities are interchanged between them all.

Another good area to keep in mind along the fast growing I-36 corridor is around the Church Ranch Exit in Westminster. It would have the good fast bus service to Denver and Boulder and it is surrounded by many shops, restaurants that are near the big Westminster Promenade http://thewestminsterpromenade.com/ Also the area is well served by trails and the big Westminster City Park with three recreation centers is just down the road at Sheridan.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-07-2012 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver