Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 85,872 times

Advertisements

Hello - We didn't make a decision yet...a family member had a health crisis, we had to put the move aside, but are planning to move this summer. I just began searching for homes again and feel somewhat at square-one....we're still considering both city & 'burbs...weighing the pros & cons of both. Greatschools.org is a great resource, but it doesn't give the entire picture. For example, in Denver, some schools may have a poor CSAP rating, but they might be e.g. a magnet ESL school...yet the non-ESL students score highly. The ESL & non-ESL students are instructed separately, but the ESL students are still subjected to the same English standardized tests. (Just an example.) i've contactd many Denver schools directly and have gotten the inside scoop that way. If I have concerns about low CSAP scores, I just say so and inquire about it. Principals, secretaries, and administrators have been receptive and understanding about my inquiries. An important aspect of DPS is the Choice system. Each DPS school seems to have some magnet status or specialization. Thus, DPS families are free to 'choice' into the appropriate school for their child. For us, we're really interested in having our children attend neighborhood schools and we don't want to drive long distances for their schooling. Also, the more in-demand schools are often full and very difficult to actually choice into. Also, be aware that the choice process has passed for now, I think....may happen each Jan/Feb? I've found the DPS school system fairly difficult to navigate, but have also found that there are some really good schools within the mix, especially at the Elementary level. If we live in Denver, our aim will be to live in a boundary with an Elementary and Middle school that we feel reasonably good about - and our children will attend their boundary schools. When High School rolls around, if we're not comfortable with our boundary H.S., we'll look at trying to choice our children into other schools at that time. The 'burbs (at least, those areas with good schools) might be alot less hassle to navigate the system, but Denver offers more diversity and culture, which feels very dynamic. It's a tradeoff and we're still undecided. I'm also impressed with DPS's healthy lunch menu that's been implemented in recent years. Anyhow, I hope this helps and best wishes with your move!

Last edited by Nickycoli; 05-29-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 PM

56 posts, read 92,486 times
May I just put a plug in for Bradley International Elementary?

Also I work for DPS and am quite familiar with lots of schools (as well as the choice process) since my own kids go to DPS schools. If you have questions, I might be able to help.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 AM

40 posts, read 82,039 times

Don't rely on greatschools.org exclusively, so much of the guest ratings are homeowners trying to keep their property values up. And the so-called highly rated schools teach directly to the test their website uses.

Second, Cheeseman Park is a wonderful park for kids. We go there weekly and find the playground, great-lawn, pavilion, proximity to the Botanical Gardens superb.

Congress Park is somewhat a car-culture, as it's not easy to walk to shopping, schools, & exclusively family only.

Lastly did you look at Capitol Hill? Excellent walkability to downtown and shops. Many 1900s historical Denversquares, some quite large.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM

812 posts, read 1,470,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with your comment about Californians in Wash Park.. part of the reason I didn't like it and I am a recovering Californian.
I presume you all know more about Wash Park demographics than I, but when I lived in Denver from 1996-2000, the Wash Park area was already getting trendy and "fancy." I had roughly 10-12 friends who were relatively new homeowners in the area. Not a single one was from California. Michigan, New York, Illinois were represented, among several other states of origin, along with 4-5 "native" Coloradans. I, born in California but with rural Colorado roots back to the 1880's, could only afford, at the time, a little condo near St. Mark's west of City Park. Loved it over there, though each one of my Denver-native friends informed me it was "the ghetto" before they actually came and had a look. One of them ended up buying my place in "the ghetto," which I quite enjoyed.

I'm familiar with Californians being the source of every problem in Colorado ranging from beetle-kill to windshield cracks to radon in the soil, but my non-scientific observation of who was moving to Wash Park when I lived in the area included FAR more non-Californians than Californians.

I know we fight a losing argument here and our role is to simply shut up and take it, which is fine. I'm good with that, though I will admit to a personal weakness of chiming in once in awhile when blamed for yet another problem that was going to happen anyway. Sorry. I'll crawl back into my "former Californian" hole now and scheme up more creative ways to wreck everything.

For the OP, all three neighborhoods are great places to live. Yes, each micro-area has its own pros and cons which you'd likely have to experience for yourself before a fully-informed decision could be made. Thoughts and prayers for the a full recovery of your family member. Good luck with the move and welcome!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM

143 posts, read 275,446 times
The neighborhoods are very similar. I think Park Hill has the most civic/neighborly vibe and you would be happiest there.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC123 View Post
May I just put a plug in for Bradley International Elementary?

Also I work for DPS and am quite familiar with lots of schools (as well as the choice process) since my own kids go to DPS schools. If you have questions, I might be able to help.
Thanks - That is Awesome of you! We're currently in the Denver area looking around. I'll let you know if we have further DPS-related questions. We sincerely appreciate your kindness!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your thoughts and tips. Very encouraging to hear that you're keen on Cheesman's Park for kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post

Don't rely on greatschools.org exclusively, so much of the guest ratings are homeowners trying to keep their property values up. And the so-called highly rated schools teach directly to the test their website uses.

Second, Cheeseman Park is a wonderful park for kids. We go there weekly and find the playground, great-lawn, pavilion, proximity to the Botanical Gardens superb.

Congress Park is somewhat a car-culture, as it's not easy to walk to shopping, schools, & exclusively family only.

Lastly did you look at Capitol Hill? Excellent walkability to downtown and shops. Many 1900s historical Denversquares, some quite large.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 PM

Thank you - Your remarks re park Hill are very appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
The neighborhoods are very similar. I think Park Hill has the most civic/neighborly vibe and you would be happiest there.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM

473 posts, read 849,042 times
Agree and disagree:

Quote:
Agree - Thank you. Most people dismiss Cheesman Park as a place where gays cruise around in convertibles blasting Madonna. While yes this happens during summer weekends, there are plenty of other demographics too. Kids, dog people, soccer/volleyball games - and it's extremely family friendly.

Quote:
I think this should be noted as "by comparison" to other downtown neighborhoods. Congress Park has three east/west bus lines, close to many restaurants along Colfax, and a reasonable walk or quick bike ride to Cherry Creek north/CC Mall. Plus the two clusters of shops and restaurants along 12th Ave - and on 13th and Vine. (Wymans, Shells and Sauce, Madison Street) and two great ice cream places.

I live in Congress Park and it's definitely not all families. There are young/old couples w/out kids, elderly, students, and singles all sharing the same neighborhood.

However - I think it would be MUCH better to raise kids in Congress Park versus Capitol Hill. (noting Cheesman Park as dividing line.) Certain blocks of Capitol Hill are sketchy. There are a few apartment buildings here and there with, well, characters I wouldn't want my kids near. By comparison there ARE more families in Congress Park - which means more parents watching out for their kids and their peers.

I bike home from work daily and see kids biking in groups, playing in yards with other kids, and parents mingling and socializing. But given the diversity I don't feel like I live in the 'burbs where it's nothing but big families - where some lone guy would be out of place. Congress Park also has more homes and less apartments, thus less transient nature, and just and more settled/small town-ish than Capitol Hill. Capitol Hill does have its nice mansions, but many are divided up into apartments, crammed between highrises, and too close to halfway houses and crummy apartments.

I rented in a Capitol Hill high rise for years and loved it. However when I bought a place I chose an actual house in Congress Park - been there since 2004, and being on the other side of the park/gardens from Capitol Hill doesn't make me feel isolated at all. I can still bike/bus downtown or Cherry Creek in a breeze, and parking is much better for myself and visitors.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 06-07-2012 at 11:57 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
^^^^^

I live in Congress Park as well and agree with everything James stated.

I work from home and go days without driving at all. My daughter goes to school 5 blocks away and we have plenty of parks, shopping and eats nearby. The only time I really need to drive is to pick up groceries, but even then there is a Safeway, Wholefoods and King Soopers within biking distance.

The only thing I don't like about Congress Park is that we are having an influx of people tearing down the older homes and replacing them with new ugly houses that don't fit in. We strongly need a Historical Society to protect the older houses before we end up like Cherry Creek North (overpriced and bad construction BS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver