Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

I've seen the topic of "Moving without employment" come up in a few other threads and wanted to ask a couple questions regarding my situation...

There is a possibility I will be moving to the Denver area without employment and I have never rented an apartment. Will an apartment complex rent to someone without a job? Will they except a bank statement or something along those lines confirming you have the funds needed to stay current with your rent payment?

My goal is to secure a career/job prior to the move, but will not let it stop me from taking the plunge. Also, if I end up moving unemployed, where would a good starting be? Being a single guy, I would like to be close enough to the city to enjoy the night life, but would spend most of my free time outdoors/ in the woods.

Wherever I initially land will most likely be temporary, as I explore the state and job market, I'm sure I will find a location perfect for my personal and professional needs.

A little background to help you out...

Early thirties, single professional. I have spent my entire working career in the heavy equipment rental industry and have done everything from wash equipment to rental/operations management. My initial job search will be in the industry, but I am not opposed to starting on the ground level of a new industry. In my spare time I enjoy being outdoors. I'm an avid triathlete, runner, cyclist, fisherman and hunter. Coming from Florida, I'm really excited about the opportunity to use my mountain bike for mountains and not just flat dirt trails.

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to your advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
I'd recommend focusing on the "finding employment first". I'd recommend books such as Tony Beshara "The Job Search Solution" or Richard Bolles "What color is your parachute". What if your job search finds you a great job somewhere like Salt Lake City of Manchester, New Hampshire, or Pittsburgh, where you can do plenty of outdoors activites ? Wouldn't you be happy that you didn't limit yourself to Colorado ?

I don't have any specific advice on where to live if you do move out to Denver without employment. It appears that the majority of Heavy Equipment Rental companies are located in Commerce City / North Denver which is a gritty, rough and tumble kind of area with relatively high crime. Probably not too expensive to live there. Not sure if living in an area like that would bother you or not. I suppose it doesn't really matter where you live in the area when you don't know where work is.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Davros,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I have thought of other places before Colorado, but the more research I do and the more I talk to people about their experiences, all signs point to Colorado. I'm sure all the locations you mentioned have a lot to offer, but just from the side of my personal interest, Colorado has it all.

My ultimate goal is to secure a job prior to moving and I have time, but I won't let that get in the way. I've worked hard, have no debt and have the savings to support making the move without a job if needed. I don't care what state you're in, there is work. It may not be glamorus or pay big bucks, but if you're not affraid to work you can make ends meet.

Thanks again and here's to taking chances.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotNtheDark View Post
There is a possibility I will be moving to the Denver area without employment and I have never rented an apartment. Will an apartment complex rent to someone without a job? Will they except a bank statement or something along those lines confirming you have the funds needed to stay current with your rent payment?
Yes, if you have, say, three times the annual rent in your checking account, say about $30k, then many apartment complexes will consider that sufficient.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
I rented an apartment (off 13th and Columbine in Congress Park) once without a job but with money in the bank. I just offered to pay 6 months rent up front. They gladly agreed, and I didn't have to worry about rent checks for half the lease.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Again, I hope to secure employment in advance, but worst case I can still rent a place to lay my head. Much appreciated.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
You might also consider an extended stay motel/hotel if you can't find an apt. to rent right away. Although I realize it's not ideal, it could actually prove to be good because it will give you time to really find a neighborhood that meets your needs and to determine what type of commute you will have once you find employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver