Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 16,595 times

Advertisements

I'm try to relocate to Denver or anywhere close to Denver. I live in central PA and work for the Navy as a IT Systems Analyst working with the SAP system. I'm currently updating my resume to target potential jobs in the area. What tips do you have for an out of stater? I was planning on listing my Uncle's Denver address as my "future" address.

Is getting a job near impossible from PA? I could potentially live with my Uncle while I look for jobs, but I need health insurance. So I would like to have a job locked up. I'm also in my 20s and have 3 years experience. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Not sure about SAP, but I think your prospects are excellent. I work with PeopleSoft and my employer has a hard time finding qualified candidates in general, not just local. So far we've hired 5 people from out of state in the past year, including myself.
I saw a lot of job ads for SAP.
As for which address to list, it's up to you. I would try your PA address first, explaining in your cover letter, that you are moving closer to your family in Denver. If you list your uncle's address and get invited for interview within, say, a week, will you be able to fly in?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM

That's great news, thanks! Yes... Actually I could move anywhere in the U.S. on a weeks notice probably. I'm not yet applying to jobs though. My life is at a crossroads and I'm creating a new path that leads to the Denver area! Currently, I can only apply to federal jobs because I am not vested in my 401k yet. I will be soon, and when I am the search opens up to all sectors. Thanks for giving me some hope! Cheers.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtOScrotBags View Post
I'm try to relocate to Denver or anywhere close to Denver. I live in central PA and work for the Navy as a IT Systems Analyst working with the SAP system. I'm currently updating my resume to target potential jobs in the area. What tips do you have for an out of stater? I was planning on listing my Uncle's Denver address as my "future" address.
nothing special. Just send out the resumes. Respond to job postings on craigslist, monster, indeed, the usual places. If you have a security clearance, you can easily get a job in Colorado Springs (lots of military) .... less of a deciding factor in Denver.

Quote:
Is getting a job near impossible from PA?
It's substantially harder than if you already lived in Denver, but not impossible. And you've got something in your favor these days, which is that the IT job market is strong, contrary to the rest of the economy.

Quote:
I could potentially live with my Uncle while I look for jobs, but I need health insurance. So I would like to have a job locked up. I'm also in my 20s and have 3 years experience.
That' entry-level experience, so you need to target entry-level jobs.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM

41 posts, read 77,333 times
You should have no trouble. I just got a job here while I was living in Florida. I think the key is to mention in your cover letter that you are in the process of relocating to Denver. It also might not hurt to mention that you have family here so they know this isn't some spur-of-the-moment idea you had. I used Monster.com and CareerBuilder and got lots of positive responses.
I'm nothing special, and I was flown out a few times for interviews and offerred a couple of jobs.

McKesson has a large IT department. I'd stay away from Dish Network.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM

254 posts, read 513,473 times
Here's a link to the state employment site: State Employment

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! It is helping me stay motivated!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
I also got an IT job here from Florida, took about 4-5 months or so

Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I also got an IT job here from Florida, took about 4-5 months or so
Should I list my Uncle's address as my future address? Which is might be potentially... I will explain my relocation plans in my cover letter as someone already stated.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtOScrotBags View Post
Should I list my Uncle's address as my future address? Which is might be potentially... I will explain my relocation plans in my cover letter as someone already stated.
I don't think it is necessary, and will only cause confusion at the interview. Just be honest.

My wife and I both got Accounting and IT jobs with California addresses, albeit mine was with my own company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver