Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM

156 posts, read 325,677 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

Im currently living in Capitol Hill with my lease expected to end on April 1st (If I find a new tenant before that date I can move out earlier and not be charged extra).

I was just hired on by the Douglas County Detention Facility in Castle Rock and more than likely will have to relocate because I know traffic will become a nightmare. As of now I am scheduled to work wed-sat shifts, 6am-4pm from February 1st-March 25th.. The morning commute will not bother me since I will be on the road by 5am on those days... However, I know the commute back to Denver will be hell at 4pm. Then from March 25-April 25 I will be scheduled 1pm-11pm so the commute will be "easier" by then.

With all that said, I am more than likely going to have to relocate somewhere south. What are some good areas for a 24yo male. I still enjoy the night life, meeting people, having restaurants, theatres, outdoor scenery and other activities at my fingertips.

I really enjoy Denver because I can walk to all the sports arenas, Wash Park, 16th street mall, the bars, etc. I know I'm not going to find all that outside of Denver.

Basically, I just dont want to be "bored" in an area. Here in Denver I always have something to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,659,149 times
I suggest that you look in Lone Tree around Park Meadows mall. There are lots of apartments there, some bars and nightlife, it's a much easier drive to CR, and you can hop on the light rail to head down to LoDo for more action.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks! Ive had a few work colleagues state that Lone Tree is an upcoming area that I should check out.. It is one of the areas on the top of my list

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
The Denver Tech Center definitely has a young professionals scene (a lot of them live in expensive apartments within 1/2 mile of Belleview from between Yosemite & Monaco) who hang out at places like the Landmark, the Tavern, Baker St Pub, etc, but it's still nothing like living in downtown/ Capitol Hill. Once you're south of Evans (by DU) or so, there's nothing in the metro area even remotely urban.

Castle Rock caters strictly to families with kids. I agree that it wouldn't be very fun living there-- unless if a short commute is at the top of your priorities. Is this is a job where you absolutely have to show up at an exact time or do you have any leeway on when you can show up/leave?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Its a position where I need to be there right when my shift starts being in the law enforcement field.... However, they are rotating shifts that start at 6am, 1pm and 9pm... All of those should not intervene with rush hour traffic... It is just the commute back to the Denver area that will be the major hassle...

I have considered DTC as well... Honestly, I could prob stay in the Denver area... Like I stated, my shifts going to Castle Rock should not be that big of a concern. Just coming back into Denver will be the major gripes (especially a 9am-4pm shifts of a 9pm-7am shift).

Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
It can be done, but you'll definitely need some back up plans for bad snow days, car failures, traffic delays, etc. There could be some occasional times when you would want to spend the night before in Castle Rock if you knew it was going to snow bad the next day. Fortunately, once you get past the Tech Center the rest of the way south to Castle Rock will be a reverse commute. If you did live in the Park Meadows/ Lone Tree area it would be sort of a compromise-- traffic shouldn't be too bad either direction most of the time.

I think that if you really enjoy living in Capitol Hill, you will not like Lone Tree. It's pretty much the exact opposite type of person who prefer one or the other. However if you have to be stuck living in a suburb, there's a lot more to do there than in most Denver suburbs due to Park Meadows & the surrounding shopping/entertainment centers. Also, apartments in Lone Tree (most of which are near the Lincoln/I-25 light rail station) are VERY expensive-- take a look at some of the leasing office websites (such as AMLI Park Meadows) and you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM

I think what I will end up doing is moving to West Wash Park since I love that area, especially in the summer. It will shave off a few miles off the commute (nothing significant but in the long run it adds up). Luckily, I have a couple friends who I play hockey with at DU who live in Castle Rock and I am sure if the weather was terrible then I could just stay with them.

I did look up prices for apartments in Lone Tree and did notice they were pretty pricey... Im looking to keep my rent expense to no more than $850 a month and I believe I can find something like that in West Wash Park. I know I can get that here in Cap Hill or even Cheesman Park if I took that route... Right now Im pretty focused on West Wash though.

Thanks for the input Pilgrim... Like I said, my lease isnt up til April 1st so we will see how the first 2 months of commuting from Cap Hill-Castle Rock work out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver