Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,924 times

Advertisements

Hello, Northman. Have you transferred to the Denver area yet? Were you able to find the medical position for which you were hoping?
I am finishing up my BS Nursing soon (second career) and am going into my master's program as soon as I can to achieve my nurse practitioner degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
I find your perspective interesting because I have thought the same thing about men in Denver. Dating is cool, but when feelings start to get involved, they get flaky. Could it be that most people here are superficial or it is the transients who are superficial? I agree with you in that there does seem to be more women than men in Denver. I think there are more men than women period, though. Whenever I go to singles events...it is always more women who show than men.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM

88 posts, read 227,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have lived and worked in NYC and I have lived in the Denver area for many, many years.

Denver will never be a NYC, nothing can be that city. It is unique and so far different than other cities. I am not saying that NYC is better than Denver because I rather live in Denver.

An interesting story is when Ethel Merman, the Broadway singer, moved to Denver and married an airline executive in the fifties. Well, that marriage did not last and she is reputed to have been shocked by the lack of culture, and I heard from a person , who knew her, she missed the Jewishness of NYC.

I think that is what first appeared to me as the big difference, compared to Denver, are the strong ethnic neighborhoods of New York, and again, like Ethel Merman, Der ain't many Jews---and I miss that. New York City has the largest Jewish population of any city in the world. It is so ingrained in the cultural, financial and politically climate; I believe that is one aspect of what has made New York City a great city.

I am of Sicilian extraction and the Italian influence is just as strong in "THE CITY" as the Jews. There is no Italian area here that compares to New York as in food and the ambiance.

Every Western European, Asian and African ethnic group is not represented here as well and as strong as in New York. So initially, I missed the food; I missed the interactions.

So why live here, if one lived in NYC:

less traffic
less noise
less people
slower pace
less expensive
Quote:
cleaner air
You have no idea how much this makes me feel good.

[quote]
drier climate
Opportunities, "Go West Young Man"

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM

88 posts, read 227,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Not sure what that had to do with the OP's question, but interesting that you brought that up, livecontent. Denver actually has a large and well-established Jewish community, going back to the 1870s before Colorado was even a state. Historically, the West Colfax area used to be the Jewish side of town; then in the 1950s-60s, most of the Denver synagogues moved to the east side of town, around Hilltop, where they still are today. Today, the area around Alameda & Monaco & Holly is still the heart of the Denver Jewish community. Everything from the most reform to the most Orthodox. I agree though, it's a totally different community than NYC, much more assimilated.

More assimilated in Denver?

Makes me curious about Denevrians' knowledge on the Muslims. Is it pre-dominantly anti based on what one learns from the media? Back home (in Asia), I grew up in a neighborhood with Buddhists, Muslims, and Christians. Everyone respects everyone else's religion. No insult ever to each other, not even behind one's back.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 PM

310 posts, read 651,466 times
Wow, this is an old thread ('07). Thanks for bumping it as it does have some good info (still not much on the original question though)...even though it now makes the one I just started look redundant.

I didn't find this one in my search before starting the new one.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-19-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM

21 posts, read 28,293 times
Default Moved to Denver?

I know this thread is a few years old, but I thought I'd find out if the original poster, UrbanTraveller, actually made her way from NYC to Denver. And if so, how is she doing?
Love to hear your feedback!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM

64 posts, read 109,705 times
Bump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver