Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 AM

211 posts, read 985,265 times

Advertisements

any high crime areas? I am looking for an apartment and would rather live in a quiet safe area, any recomendations? I was hoping to spend no more then about $650 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
There's been LOTS of posts on so-called "bad areas" in Denver. Just do a search. If you ask me, we don't really have that many truly "bad" areas. However, the industrial areas just north of I-70 are probably the ugliest and most polluted sections in the metro area, and that may attract a certain undesirable element. Ditto for the industrial stretches of I-25 between Colfax and the Santa Fe exit.

If you're simply looking for "safe" and gasoline consumption isn't a concern, then the outer 'burbs are about as safe as you can find anywhere, no matter which direction you go.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 AM

292 posts, read 725,118 times
I also suggest avoid Colfax. It seems when you go east of the State Capitol building it just goes downhill for the next couple miles. I should know..one night I was unfortunate enough to walk on that street at night when I was in town to get back to my hotel.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
I also suggest avoid Colfax. It seems when you go east of the State Capitol building it just goes downhill for the next couple miles. I should know..one night I was unfortunate enough to walk on that street at night when I was in town to get back to my hotel.
Yeah, East Colfax from the Capitol to Aurora has a lovely rep.
Don't know about today but it used to have plenty of hookers, crackfiends and drive-bys.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Quote:
This could not be more wrong. Colfax is the heart of the city and has some of the best restaurants, all of the good show venues, and some of the best bars in Denver.

I walk frequently on Colfax at all hours of the night, as does my wife, as do tens of thousands of other people. Never had an issue in 15 years. The hookers were pushed east in the late 90's to around Yosemite and Colfax, and then out of that area a few years back to where I do not know.

I can see how a hick from the middle of nowhere Nebraska might find the color of Colfax alarming and thus equate color to crime but anyone who has actually lived in proximity to Colfax would laugh at this notion.

For 650 if you want to be near the heart of things you are going to be looking at Capitol Hill, Uptown (North cap hill), Cheeseman, Congress Park and Cheeseman Park. All are safe areas, residents of these areas all make use of the supposedly dangerous Colfax daily.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I agree with SteveinDenver in that Colfax is a interesting street with good restaurants and offers to those who are in the know, some good living in Denver.

I am one of those "ten of thousands of other people" that has walked Colfax from one end to the other in the 31 years that I have been in Colorado. I have seen East Colfax change from a little rough, to an area that is definitely inviting to those who want a real taste of Denver City Life. Or are we going to change Denver into a plasticized, sanitized boring city with overpriced fluff shops and restaurants that cater to the "look at me" crowd.

Livecontent

Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
any high crime areas?
The only place my Realtor wouldn't take my wife and I was Federal Heights, said that there was nothing in there worth taking our time to see because of the crime issues. I don't know if it's bias, or fact... just passing along the info I received.

Past that, we saw pretty much everything west of I25 and no areas seemed "bad", just ethnic. Lots of people think that ethnic means bad and high crime, my wife and I aren't among those (and bought in an "ethnic" area).

Brian

Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
You should report that licensee to the Fair Housing committee, or the Real Estate Commission.

It is not up to her/him to exclude a city because of the so called "crime" there - it's up to you to decide where you'd like to live.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,839 times
Quote:
The only place my Realtor wouldn't take my wife and I was Federal Heights, said that there was nothing in there worth taking our time to see because of the crime issues.
That's unfair. I think Federal Heights gets a bad rap that it does not deserve.

Granted, federal heights has more than its fair share of trailer parks but it also has some nice neighborhoods built in the 60's and 70's that are well maintained and it remains in close proximity to most of Denver and is where Water World is located.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM

91 posts, read 340,127 times
I would absolutely recommend checking out East Colfax in the area known as the Bluebird district if you want to experience a unique and trendy part of town with good restaurants in a safe environment. This section of Colfax is located between York and Colorado.

The only danger you'll find there is maybe suffering a heart attack from eating gourmet cupcakes at the Shoppe.

Don't listen to the Colfax naysayers. They need to get out more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver