Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Douglas County voters are notoriously, uh, "frugal".
If Douglas County voters are "frugal," that would make Ebeneezer Scrooge a "philanthropist."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If Douglas County voters are "frugal," that would make Ebeneezer Scrooge a "philanthropist."
LOL! He became one later, at the end of the story! Maybe DC will have a similar ephiphany.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,186 times
I don't know about downplaying the quality of schools as opposed to Balitmore.. there are some that deserve their ratings for sure. The school budget crisis is a huge one and one that has us thinking we may need to start saving for private education if things don't start stabilizing or improving. They are cutting programs, staff, increasing class sizes.. it's a tough situation.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,268 times
Default You are already in the right area for schools

To the OP, I plan to move my family to Denver in the future and have a child the same age as yours. I have settled on Stapleton and the schools are a large part of it. You have three good elementary schools and DSST (rated better than the Cherry Creek schools) is an option beginning in middle school. There will a new high school opened in the next 5 years. In terms of choices and backup options in case you don't get your top choice, Stapleton is hard to beat (75% of DSST spots are reserved for Stapleton residents).

Of course, Stapleton doesn't have horses. Perhaps you should consider a reverse commute. Live in Stapleton and commute to Parker to ride.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Colorado state law allows anyone to apply for OE at any school in any district. Districts are permitted to set their own priorities for OE.
Correct.

I recall the Denver Post doing a study on inter-district enrollment (fairly recently, might even be here somewhere on the forum ), and the amount of kids Douglas County SD took in from DPS boundaries was staggering!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM

39 posts, read 47,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Denver1990 View Post
Of course, Stapleton doesn't have horses. Perhaps you should consider a reverse commute. Live in Stapleton and commute to Parker to ride.
I'm doing that now! Stapleton has some great attributes, but it's not for us. The home prices here are high for what you get, and we would like our kids to appreciate the outdoors without making a concerted effort to get to it. I am over the "urban" lifestyle and living in close proximity to crime, and the last time I have to step foot in that King Soopers cannot come soon enough!

For us, it is a dream to be able to have our horses at home and stop paying someone else's mortgage with that monthly board check.

In digging further, I see that in Douglas County there are lots of properties in our price range and near higher-performing schools; we will just need to be stricter about location than I had assumed before knowing much about school choice.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
I'm not too worried about "isolating" my kids by living outside an urban area. Having grown up on a farm in rural Virginia, I can say from first-hand experience that I never lacked a social life! Besides, Parker seems positively urban compared to where I grew up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergs View Post
I'm doing that now! Stapleton has some great attributes, but it's not for us. The home prices here are high for what you get, and we would like our kids to appreciate the outdoors without making a concerted effort to get to it.
The problem is this eastern Douglas County/ western Elbert County area you're considering is NOT a true rural area. Your kids won't be growing up on a farm. There's no quiet country roads they'll be walking along meeting other kids to play with. They'll be stuck on your little property with nothing to do, nowhere to go unless if you take them places. It's really an "exurban" area full of commuters who all have the same idea of getting away from the city, who bring their urban values with them. A lot of fast, aggressive drivers on those two-lane roads who will ride your bumper for miles. Very little (if any) public land and trails-- it's all sectioned off into little fenced off parcels (big by city standards, but tiny compared to a true rural area).

I know of some true rural, beautiful areas in Elbert County, but they're miles east of where you're looking-- WAY the heck out there in the middle of nowhere somewhere in between Kiowa, Byers, and Deer Trail (see my photos here: Elbert County - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624629744216/ - broken link))-- where it could be over half an hour from the nearest school or store (and impassible in a snow storm), and an hour and a half commute from Denver.

For best access to nature while being close to Denver, Jefferson County, living somewhere in or near the foothills would be better.

OK, I'm done with my rant.... just don't say ol' vegas didn't tell ya!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
(see my photos here: Elbert County - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52668954@N08/sets/72157624629744216/ - broken link))
so weird that there's trees out there.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM

39 posts, read 47,100 times
Vegaspilgrim, I take it you aren't a horse person?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
Fergs,

Not to throw a wrench in things but have you considered Broomfield horse properties? I believe the Broomfield schools are pretty highly rated but you need to do your own research to be sure. The benefit of the Broomfield horse properties is that you literally are still in town (can walk to dinner and a movie). Very close to everything but get a rural environment with lots of your neighbors keeping animals of all sorts.

Here are some listings.
1981 W 149th Ave, Broomfield, CO 80023 MLS# 1063357 - Zillow

15131 Lipan St, Broomfield, CO 80023 MLS# 1058420 - Zillow

15325 Lipan St, Broomfield, CO 80023 MLS# 1032073 - Zillow

Here is one to rent if you want to try it out first and wait for your perfect home to come on the market.
2751 W 144th Ct, Broomfield, CO 80023 - Zillow

There are also lots available if you want to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver