Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The section of the Cherry Creek trail from about Downing or so, as it goes in between Speer Blvd, all the way to Confluence park, looks like an open air sewer. The Platte River trail is pretty ugly looking as well from Evans or so all the way up to downtown at Confluence Park.

Highline Canal trail is nice-- lined with trees for miles and miles. The Cherry Creek trail from around Colorado Blvd all the way to Cherry Creek State Park is nice.
I still disagree with you because you are perhaps just looking and not engaging the resource. Cherry Creek and The Platte in those areas are what they are--dry land water courses through the plains that are least preserved with trails even if they go through an urban and industrial area. Not all parts can and should look the same. Both those waterways lead to other adventures of nature. In other cities that are less observant of the nature around them, these water course, would have been a drainage system under the road.

In my younger days, I used them extensively by biking and hiking. I have biked the Platte from Chatfield all the way through Adams County and I have biked Cherry Creek all the way. It was not difficult and very enjoyable. They have not deteriorated but have gotten much better with development of more parks and trails along the way. They are enjoyed by many people who believe in using the Great Outdoors for recreations and health for quick access. I try, as much as I can today, to get out and I still enjoy the tremendous expanse of nature in and around Denver.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I pay $660/mo for a 1 bedroom apartment in SE Denver (technically unincorporated Arapahoe County). This is actually on the lower end for rent in the area, although you can find plenty of apartments for even less. Most apartments in Denver are in the $750-850/mo range, I would estimate.

What's wrong with Denver? Nothing-- it's just that this place is way over-hyped. Some people come here with these wild expectations of how awesome they think this place is, and then end up very disillusioned when they find out it's really just an above average, kind of bland city in the middle of the country for the most part, nothing all that extraordinary one way or the other. Absolutely amazing how many people think Denver is in the mountains, or that Denver (or Colorado in general) is a very green place, or that Denver is super "hip."
Every person, especially the young, who move for adventure and a new life view the destination in a more glorious light than reality. That gives them the incentive to leave and seek anew a better life. Some, after a time, view the Place that they now have lived for a time differently; they see the flaws or they discover something new about the Place and themselves. Many view a new Place as their own and better than what they left behind. I am of that group.

That is the way it all works. You have lived here, your whole life with many excursions for school and work, outside of the area. So, you are experienced and know the feeling of enchantment of a new area and the realization of seeing after the glow wears off. There is nothing to criticize; there is nothing out of the ordinary; it is just the way of the human spirit.

After 33 years here, I still view Denver as as exciting and wonderful place to live. I know it well; I know the flaws but I continue to discover new and exciting amenities and characteristics. I have had a long time to view the place, slowly, and I can now see within the cracks and crevices that a visitor does not see. It is now has the comfort and familiarity of Place.

The wonder of Denver is that it is evolving and it is indeed a "hip" place to live. For hip is defined by how a Place is viewed and the desire of many to be in that place; not necessarily by the innate characteristics of the Place. That cannot be debated because people vote with their feet and many feet are coming this way. The group mentality can define the reality, even if the reality is different. If enough people define it as such, the reality will change to suite their ideas of what they what it to be, and that will change the Place--hence Denver is evolving.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-27-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,666 times
Thanks for all of the info! I'll take a look at the links & neighborhoods suggested...
Are the people who are saying that Denver is blah... FROM Denver? Usually people don't think where they are from is great; always that other places are better. I've never been to Denver (I'm from the east coast) but I've heard really good things about Denver and I'm looking forward to coming.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Okay, if anyone is still reading this... I have another specific question...

I've been looking into neighborhood suggestions, etc. that people have recommended. Now we're less than 2 weeks away from moving & I'm still looking for an apartment. I've found some good options in the Capitol Hill-ish area, but without actually being able to SEE the places, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do - should I go ahead & agree to a place without being able to see it or wait until we get there (1/2 of the places I'm looking at may be gone by then) and look at as many that are left as possible to move-in asap??

If I was familiar with the area it would be different, but since I'm moving from out-of-state and I've never even been to Denver it's more difficult to know if we're moving into a good neighborhood, etc...

So, more specifically (I hope I'm allowed to post this info on here & I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise) - we're looking at a historic apartment building called "El Cortez" in Capitol Hill. It seems nice & what we're looking for, but does anyone know anything about this particular place? If not, what about that exact area? It's near Governor's Park & about 1/2 - 3/4 mi. from Cheesman Park. Also, is this building in a good "walking area"? Safe area? If you know anything about this place at all, PLEASE let me know because I'm afraid it's going to get rented before we can get there to see it. So I have to decide whether or not to rent it sight-unseen...

Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Renting a place sight unseen is a recipe for disaster. There are always places that are available for immediate move-in-- they do move very fast though. I would suggest do as much research as you can before you go, get here, stay in a hotel for a few nights if necessary, and hit the ground running to find a place. If you see something you like, don't hesitate, put in the deposit right then and there when you view it.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrobin View Post
Thanks for all of the info! I'll take a look at the links & neighborhoods suggested...
Are the people who are saying that Denver is blah... FROM Denver? Usually people don't think where they are from is great; always that other places are better. I've never been to Denver (I'm from the east coast) but I've heard really good things about Denver and I'm looking forward to coming.
I do think Denver is an exceptional place, but I also agree with vegaspilgrim. I think it's exceptional because because it's easy to escape from, the places you can escape to in 1-3 hours can be exceptional, and the quality of life in the city is high (low crime, acceptable traffic, walkable neighborhoods, well-mannered people).

On the other hand, vegaspilgrim is right. Based on your post, you almost certainly - along with many other potential transplants - have quite an illusory idea of what Denver is like. And I don't mean in the sense that no one really understands a place until they live there. Or, as you suggest, that people tend not to appreciate the place where they grew up. Because of the Rockies, people just get pretty far-out, Shangri-La ideas about Denver.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 03-08-2012 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

126 posts, read 145,373 times
I wouldn't walk around a night by myself, but during the day it's ok. Parts of Cap Hill are really sketchy. Be sure and check the bedbug registry online before committing to a place. Several buildings in Cap Hill and surrounding areas have bedbug problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrobin View Post
Okay, if anyone is still reading this... I have another specific question...

I've been looking into neighborhood suggestions, etc. that people have recommended. Now we're less than 2 weeks away from moving & I'm still looking for an apartment. I've found some good options in the Capitol Hill-ish area, but without actually being able to SEE the places, I'm kind of at a loss for what to do - should I go ahead & agree to a place without being able to see it or wait until we get there (1/2 of the places I'm looking at may be gone by then) and look at as many that are left as possible to move-in asap??

If I was familiar with the area it would be different, but since I'm moving from out-of-state and I've never even been to Denver it's more difficult to know if we're moving into a good neighborhood, etc...

So, more specifically (I hope I'm allowed to post this info on here & I'm sure someone will tell me otherwise) - we're looking at a historic apartment building called "El Cortez" in Capitol Hill. It seems nice & what we're looking for, but does anyone know anything about this particular place? If not, what about that exact area? It's near Governor's Park & about 1/2 - 3/4 mi. from Cheesman Park. Also, is this building in a good "walking area"? Safe area? If you know anything about this place at all, PLEASE let me know because I'm afraid it's going to get rented before we can get there to see it. So I have to decide whether or not to rent it sight-unseen...

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM

thanks everybody. that particular place we were looking at ended up leasing before we could decide anyway, so that makes that decision easier. now we're going to wait until we get there, get a hotel for a few days to a week as suggested, then look around like crazy and see what we like

Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Hi there- I just thought I'd comment about the apartment's location and your overall expectations. I moved from NC two years ago (Hickory, to be exact-I spent a good chunk of my time in Charlotte, though), and I live in Cap Hill, a block away from "El Cortez". It's hard for me to vouch for the exact building, but I walk and drive by it all the time and it looks okay. Regarding Capitol Hill, I love my hood. You're easy walking distance from Whole Foods and King Soopers, and there are quite a few bars, sandwich shops, coffee shops within a few blocks. There's a fantastic breakfast joint just one block from the place. The neighborhood is much more urban feeling than Charlotte, in my opinion-you'll need to brush up on your parallel parking skills! Denver has quite a bit of different types of residential living close to downtown, and this area of Cap Hill is primarily 2-4 story apartment buildings and big old houses that are divided into apartments, with a couple highrises thrown in. Quite a bit of character, and a great place to live for a little while to get acquainted with town. In terms of safety, they'll be those that say the area is dangerous, but everything is relative. It's a city, not a sanitized suburb. There are people walking around, and you'll notice that a lot of them are young people. Charlotte and most of the SE felt somewhat segregated to me. Areas were often gated, or separated by geography or subdivisions with huge lots. Denver kind of blends together, more gritty, but again more of an urban feel. Things vary block by block. You're super close to your husband's job, and you're in a prime location to go check out museums, restaurants, sports, and all kind of events. I wouldn't generally say to commit sight unseen, but the apartment is in a desired area, and they go quick around here. it can take a while to find a good one in the neighborhood.

As to the discussion about what to expect from CO or more specifically Denver, it took me a little getting used to it for me. No more southern accents! Okay, other than that, much more progressive culture as a state. Not nearly as green, vegetation-wise, although I took your description about liking things green to mean eco-friendly. In that sense, it's greener than the SE as an overall mentality. It took me a while to get over how wide open the skies are out here, and how dry it is out here compared to NC. I loved the trees back home, and there's not nearly the variety here-though there are some great forests to explore further west. True, a lot of people think that Denver is in the mountains before they move here, but I'm in the city center and it only takes 15-20 minutes to get to the edge of them (actually people them foothills, but anyone from the east would certainly refer to them as mountains!) You can get up in the hills in no time-for example, it was BEAUTIFUL today, so my girlfriend and I went to Evergreen to lunch- 35 minutes and a world away. Pretty nice to be able to do! Denver hits harder for it's size as a city due to our geographic isolation- so we get a lot of things and events that would generally take place in larger-population metro areas-all major sports teams, good music scene, amazing outdoor scenery within a short drive, and best of all, a lot of friendly people that want to be here, and are dedicated to making it a cool place to live. I could go on, but it sounds like you'll soon learn why people like CO. Welcome!

Last edited by bartonizer; 03-11-2012 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: adding information

Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,994 times
Curmudgeons in this thread aside (treeless plains? honestly)...

Denver truly is an amazing place. You're going to love it. Are we nestled deep inside the Rockies? No. Will you see an ever-changing view of the majestic Rockies every single day? Absolutely.

Denver has many neighborhoods with the character you seek. Baker is another neighborhood to check out, as is Highland. If you want to connect to a college-age crowd, the area around DU could be fun.

If you can afford to make a weekend trip to scope out the place before your move, by all means go for it. Denver doesn't start to green up until April, but this week we'll be in the 70s...and did I mention the mountain views every single day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver