Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
These threads always end up in the same result...illegal immigration.

It's a pretty sad pattern here on CD.
It doesn't matter what the forum is, it always ends up focusing on illegal immigration. It's not just CD.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I think there is racism toward illegals. They are breaking the law and not jailed for it so it irks some who would be tossed in jail for too many tickets or not paying their taxes.

I am not Hispanic but people often think I am and they will come up to me and ask me in heavy accent if I speak Spanish and then get annoyed with me when I say no. Sheesh really?!?!? I live in North America not South and English is my second language sorry if I do not feel the need to learn Spanish or if they think I am not living up to my "heritage".
My son is a bit darker then me and he dislikes going to Arvada and that general area because he gets that look from the "white people" that he is in the wrong part of town.

I am from New York and have known quite a lots of Spainards, South Americans and etc and I never heard of Cinco de Mayo till I moved here. I think it is a larger celebration here and it is not given much notice in other areas. I could careless what people wear and do but if you love your country so much then why leave it and try to bring it here? Each country is unique and has it's own celebrations, Thanksgiving is not celebrating the Mayflower people per se but it is our country's tradition, if we took it to another country it might offend them. Maybe they do not turkey and waving drumsticks would be offensive to them
It is no wonder that you never heard of Cinco de Mayo. Spaniards, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and South Americans (the main Hispanic populations in NY) don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It's primarily a Mexican celebration.

Cinco de Mayo celebrates the victory of the Mexican army over the French army in the Battle of Puebla in 1862. The Hispanic population in this area is either the descendants of settlers who lived in the area when it was part of Mexico, or recent Mexican immigrants themselves.

Mexican immigrants, like most immigrants, usually move here for economic reasons. It is not the culture of their homeland that they are escaping, it is the lack of economic opportunities. Cinco de Mayo, like all other ethnic festivals, allows Hispanics to celebrate their culture.

As for Thanksgiving, American expatriates celebrate Thanksgiving (and July 4th) in the countries in which they are living. In fact, there are special stores that cater to Americans in most countries (just like there are stores that cater to ethnic groups here). The other countries see these celebrations for what they are: a celebration of an American holiday by American people. It does not offend anyone.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We are getting off topic, but I hate to see all the blame laid on the girls.

Back on topic, displaying the US flag in the US is not the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a croweded theater.
Actually, thats not getting back to the topic. The topic was, is Denver the least racist city? But since we were already off topic, I don't feel too bad about going a little farther off topic.

BTW I wasn't trying to blame girls for anything. I just think that students (male and female) at that time could away with wearing a lot of things that would probably get students sent home these days. Just saying.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And free speech has it's limits. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

Anyway most school dress codes prohibit all kinds of free speech on students clothes. A few examples: references to drugs, tobacco, alcohol or weapons; or are of a sexual nature, just to name a few.

Being a pretty big advocate of free speech myself. I think school dress codes/restrictions are a pretty minor infringement on freedom of speech. I think they should solve the issues once and for all and require all students to wear school uniforms. That would solve so many problems.
My thought on the free speech aspect is....since when do minors under the age of 18 have the right to free speech?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
It is no wonder that you never heard of Cinco de Mayo. Spaniards, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and South Americans (the main Hispanic populations in NY) don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It's primarily a Mexican celebration.
Slight correction. It's primarily an American celebration, not a Mexican celebration. Most Mexicans have never heard of it, before they came to the US. May 5 is just another work day in Mexico.

Cinco de Mayo History: An American Celebration of the Battle of Puebla - ABC News

Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
My thought on the free speech aspect is....since when do minors under the age of 18 have the right to free speech?
Well they have a right to free speech, at the appropriate time and place, just as adults do. In general though a school is not the time nor place for exercising free speech rights. It's more of a place to shut up, listen and learn.

For example you wouldn't allow a kid to stand up in the middle of a class and go off on a free speech rant about some random topic that he feels is important to tell everybody. And you certainly would not allow some kid to come to class wearing a swastika and start giving a Nazi propaganda speech to black and Jewish students, for what should be obvious reasons.

Even though the kid wearing the swastika should have the same free speech rights as four kids wearing the American flag, it's not the right time or place. Keep it out of the school.

It's always interesting how people love free speech when they agree with it. Example: kid wearing American flag in school. But they hate it when someone else excesses their free speech. Example Mexican-American kids celebrating Cinco de Mayo.

They are in America now. They should forget about their culture, assimilate, and all show up for class wearing American flag t-shirts. Bla, bla, bla...

Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I am from New York and have known quite a lots of Spainards, South Americans and etc and I never heard of Cinco de Mayo till I moved here. I think it is a larger celebration here and it is not given much notice in other areas. I could careless what people wear and do but if you love your country so much then why leave it and try to bring it here? Each country is unique and has it's own celebrations, Thanksgiving is not celebrating the Mayflower people per se but it is our country's tradition, if we took it to another country it might offend them. Maybe they do not turkey and waving drumsticks would be offensive to them
Cinco De Mayo in the Northeast is a bar party, an excuse to drink. Though not to the extent that St Pat's is. Although honestly, I can't really imagine anything more "in your face" than St. Pat's in the Northeast. Of course, I used to frequent a bar owned by an avid supporter of the IRA so...

On leaving your country of origin... Well, in something of an analogy, I'm always going to be from Jersey. I loved growing up there. All of my family and almost all of my friends are there. I read my hometown's newspaper on line. I will NEVER EVER live there again. What I want out of life, I can't get there. But it's what formed me, and it wasn't a bad thing and I'm not gonna forget about it. Heck, I'm going to go back to visit every chance I get. And nobody's ever gonna think I'm from Ohio or Nevada. Moving away doesn't mean tossing your past away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver