Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 6,627 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have advice for a Great Dane friendly apartment in the Denver Metro Area? I am considering a move at the end of July and will be working in Lakewood on S Wadsworth Blvd. I have looked into craigslist. My pup and I would be fine in a studio apartment. Price Range $750-1200.

I will be working 3 days a week, day shift (8 hour shifts). The most promising area for studio apartments seems to be Capitol Hill. I have visited Denver several times but don't have a good idea of traffic patterns.

Thank you so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM

462 posts, read 1,177,149 times
I can't answer your question but I see you are from TN. You should be aware that CO has breed restrictions. Your pup won't be legally restricted b/c Great Danes aren't on the ban list. BUT, many landlords will be afraid of the liability issue (esp with such a big dog) so be prepared for discrimination. I'm not trying to discourage you. When I was a landlord, I would only rent to dog owners but that's b/c I'm a dog lover. So pet friendly places exist, it just takes more work to find them. You may also have to pay additional rent for your pup.
Welcome to CO and GL.

"In 2004, the Colorado State legislature passed a statue increasing the penalties and liability for dog attacks and prohibiting any legislation based on breed. This law effectively repealed all pit bull breed bans in Colorado. However, the City and County of Denver contested the law claiming they were a “home rule” city and the state legislature could not dictate local ordinances such as dog breed bans. They were successful at the district court level and their pit bull breed ban was reinstated. There are appeals in process contesting this ruling, but at this time, breed ban legislation is legal in Colorado for cities that have home rule charters. Unfortunately during the time this issue was being resolved, there were several highly publicized pit bull attacks and several other Colorado cities moved forward with pit bull legislation of their own."

From;

Denver Area Breed Bans

Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 PM

Thank you so much!
I have definitely noticed the trend you mentioned while calling different management agencies and craigslist listings.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 AM

387 posts, read 640,704 times
I live in the Belmar area of Lakewood, just of S. Wadsworth at Alameda. There are at least two great danes in my apartment building that I know of for sure; they're wonderful dogs with great, friendly owners. Belmar is a walking community, from my place I can get to restaurants, shopping, groceries, a library, movie theater, bowling alley, pretty much anything you can think of.

If you send me a DM, I'd be happy to talk to you about it!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:48 AM

331 posts, read 467,901 times
I don't live in the Belmar area but have been there several times (shopping, dining, visiting the public library). It was redeveloped extensively a few years ago (used to be the site of a massive shopping mall), and I like the look of it.

It would be a much better location for you if you're working on S. Wadsworth, than Capitol Hill. You'd save time and gas money by having a much easier commute.

PS: I love Great Danes. I get to hang out with a couple of Danes, owned by a friend, and they are so sweet.

Good luck in your apartment hunt!

Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
Belmar is great but it's out of your price range for a 1/1. Maybe try West Lakewood. If you want to be near work you'll have to up your budget

Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Thank you so much! I am making another trip out and will visit Belmar area and West Lakewood.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,626,519 times
I lived in Belmar and am now in West Lakewood. You'll love Belmar but it's very pricey!! West Lakewood is just minutes away from Belmar and you should find better pricing for what you are looking for. Feel free to direct message me with any other questions

Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 6,586 times
There are Danes in every dog park I visit in this city. And there are pits and Rottweilers everywhere you look. Beware of the dog owners, that don't socialize their dogs, those are the "troubled" and dangerous dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: