Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,077,370 times

Advertisements

I moved to Denver. Prior to about 2 years ago I never even cared to visit Denver, much less move here, but here I am! True fact...I've never been skiing or snowboarding...ever! I'd like to, but it isn't why I came here. I'm not a huge outdoors person and I still find things to do here. Sports, downtown bars and restaurants, museums, beer, film, and food festivals! Tons of concerts! There ARE things to do here even if you aren't an outdoor person. And now that I live here I'm more likely to do outdoor activities, so you may change.

I came here because I was ready for a change, I had some friends here, and it seemed like a great place when I came to visit. I like it here, but I doubt I'll stay forever. Still, I'm glad I gave it a try. If you think you'd like it here, then why not? It isn't like you have to quit a great job to move. And if you hate it, then you can move somewhere else.

Funnily enough I've been thinking of moving to Boston...let's trade place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

792 posts, read 2,861,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Denver's sunny 300 days a year.
It bugs me when people repeat this myth. Yes, Denver is a sunny place, but it's not nearly 300 days a year sunny. More like 30-40% of days are sunny, and the rest are split between partly sunny, and overcast. It is true that it is almost never rainy.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,977,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Do you really know anything about Boston? I know some one who lives in a small town in New Hampshire, and commutes to a job in Boston. It's like a 25 mile commute. He lives in a country home with no neighbors in sight. When he is not working, his entire life revolves around outdoor activities. Try to find something like that within 25 miles of Denver.

These days, with telecommuting you can live just about anywhere you want.
A commute from Southern NH to Boston could take 1.5 hours on a good day depending on starting/ending location....

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromboston1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been reading through old posts for hours, so I'd like to start by thanking you all for all the insights you've given over the years! It has been a very eye-opening read.

My boyfriend and I are strongly considering moving to Denver this June, but something is holding me back (it's probably just fear, but just in case) and I want to make sure we're making the right decision before moving across the country. So I was hoping to get your advice!

We're 25, we'll both be keeping our jobs and working from home in Denver, so finding a job is not a problem. We already came to visit and know that we could afford a nice apartment in Denver (certainly nicer than we can afford in Boston), and as a bonus we could get a dog! Can't really do that in Boston very easily. I have SAD and am looking forward to seeing the sun, but I'm concerned about how dry it is there, since already Boston in the winter feels so dry to me. Okay, let me list some concerns I'm hoping you can help me with:

Concerns:
- Will Denver be too dry? My hands are already cracked and dry in Boston, which is a humid place (though not really in the winter). Will they end up bleeding and being horrible? I read one post where a woman said she had nose bleeds all the time, and that sounds awful. I'm used to very humid climates.

- Is Denver too car-based? We have a car, but we love public transit. I've heard good things about the buses in Denver, but it sounds like we'll still need to heavily rely on our car to get around.

- Is Denver too isolated? It didn't even occur to me until I started reading posts on here, but it's true that we're quite spoiled and used to being able to drive 2.5 hours to Maine, 4.5 hours to New York, etc. Will it feel too landlocked?

- Is Denver too small? Boston is a small city, in my opinion, esp compared to places like NY, but it's still a lot of fun, plenty to do, a very city feel. Does Denver feel like a city-city, or does it feel more like a suburb city? We would probably live near the downtownish area, maybe Capitol Hill or Wash Park or some such, not out in the suburbs.

- We're not huge outdoors people. We *like* the outdoors, but realistically, we're unlikely to go hiking more than once in a blue moon, skiing is a maybe but not a huge draw, we're more likely to drive up to the top of the mountain just to sit and enjoy the view. I'm a writer, so bringing my laptop or notebook to the top of a mountain to write sounds appealing, but that wouldn't happen all the time, and it seems like a HUGE reason people move to Denver is because of the outdoorsy stuff. Will that be a problem? Will Denver seem just like any other bland Midwestern city if we miss out on the outdoorsy scene?

When we visited, we were blown away by how friendly people were in Denver, how cheap everything was (in comparison to Boston, at least), and how beautiful the mountains were. But, unless we get a fancy apartment so we can see the mountains during the day while we work from home, we're unlikely to actually see the mountains all that often, so I don't want to base the decision on that. We don't *need* to move, but we're both young, we have the ability to move anywhere in the US we want and still keep our jobs, and we want a change of pace, something different from Boston (which is a wonderful city, and who knows if we'd end up back here someday). But: would moving to Denver be a good or bad idea? Should we save up some money and wait and move to San Francisco, for more of a city feel that's still farther west?

Your opinions would be much appreciated, and hopefully I've provided enough information to give you a basis for responding. (I noticed in previous threads that that was a persistent theme--not enough info.)

Thank you so much for your help!
Hey Jen,

I will give you my opinion on the transition from Boston to Denver. Full disclosure, I've never lived in Boston proper or Denver proper but have spent enough time in both to form an honest opinion.

I'll tackle your specific concerns and then give my experience.

Dryness:
Denver is definitely dryer than Boston. If you have dry skin now, you'll have it in CO, probably a little worse. I had dry skin during the winters in Boston and have it now. It can get bad if I forget to use some type of lotions - especially my hands. You can find some heavy duty stuff that works very well. It has never been a major issue for me but it may be different for you. I've never experienced nose bleeds but have hard of others that did, at least for a short time after their initial move. It wouldn't sway me from the move.

Car:
I honestly don't have a lot of experience with public transport in Denver. I used it a lot in Boston and it was great. I take the light rail here on occasion and I am happy with it. Typically during non-commuting hours though. One thing I can say about using your car in Denver is that it is a lot easier to get around than in Boston. The city is more of grid and not paved over horse paths like Boston! Depending on where you live, I would venture to guess that you could park your car for long periods - especially if you are working from home.

Isolation:
I've never felt isolated in CO. I've lived in the metro-Boston area, Baltimore proper and the metro-Cleveland area (about 10 mins outside of the city limits.) I used to go to DC a lot, NYC, Philly, Detroit, Pittsburgh, heck even driven back home to MA. I really don't feel that living in CO has hindered the ability to get places. No, I can't drive to a major city in a day. But I can get to the mountains in a few hours and up to Cheyenne in about 2 hours (Hey, I like the western vibe!) It has never been an issue. Is it harder to see family? I guess but as others have mentioned DIA has great flight options. I don't think it is nearly as bad as others have mentioned. I am there almost every week and I can name 10 airports off the top of my head that are worse - Logan being one of them.

I read someone else's post that said "you will miss the ocean." I spent an extreme amount of time at the beach, on boats, etc back home and I don't miss it at all.

Too Small:
I personally don't think so. Compared to NYC or LA, yes of course. Again, I don't live downtown but I think you'll find any amenities and activities in Denver that you'd find in Boston. Maybe not to the level of Boston but they are available. I would not consider Denver a "suburb-type city."

Cost of Living:
It is definitely cheaper here than in Boston. My friends and parents have commented on it when they come to visit.

Weather:
Much nicer here. Winters are typically drier and warmer. Summers, while temps may get hotter, the lower humidity makes it feel milder. The sun will help with your SAD.

Outdoors:
I wouldn't factor this into your decision at all. I know people that have lived here for 5-6 years that have never been to the mountains. They are from Back East and will never leave. Who knows, you may very well enjoy the outdoors once you get here. I would highly recommend giving it a try. I enjoy writing as well - as a hobby - and my love of the outdoors started by me hiking in NH and spending hours enjoying the calmness of the wilderness while writing.

My wife and I moved here 5 years ago and we will never voluntarily leave. I have been offered pretty good jobs back in MA and in OH and I turned them down. The quality of life is too good for us. I am mad at myself for not leaving MA sooner than I did.

Since you aren't tied to a job, why not move. Give it a shot. It may be life changing. It was for us. I consider myself a 'city boy.' I never lived in Boston proper but in enough of a city situation. I lived in downtown Baltimore for 6 years and enjoyed it. My wife and I now live on a 35 acre ranch in the country and we have never been happier. If you asked me 2-3 years ago if I'd be living this lifestyle, I would've thought you crazy.

So, you just never know. Take the chance!!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
I have been in Colorado 32 years, came here from Illinois via Pennsylvania. I'll speak a little to the isolation issue. If your family is in Boston, it probably will feel isolating to live here. Any time you want to visit them will require a lot of advance palnning. It's even worse if you have a job that requires you to put in for vacation time say, in January, which some places do. Airfare usually has to be purchased two weeks in advance to get a decent rate. Driving takes at least three days, each way, so you should plan on taking at least two weeks, preferably with a holiday in there like the 4th of July, to actually spend some time once you get there. Even flying takes up an entire day, each way. If your parents get sick and need your help, that's a difficult problem. As much as people will tell you they'll come out and visit you, there are few who will do so, and even fewer yet who will do so more than once, other than your parents. I would not say any of this is a deal breaker. I've been through all of that including the sick parents. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 25,830 times
JenfromBoston1, I'm looking to move to Denver from Mass too. Hopefully we can get there!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,722 times
Great news you are making a great choice if you like the outdoors! but if its not your thing then I wouldn't do it. I am a single 25 year old female with a dog... this is the place to have a dog.... dog lover central! Also, bicycle riding here is sooo popular... your weird if you don't have a bike! I would agree that its dry here... but the mountains is the main reason people live here. not everyone. but you may find a new love for what we all love here!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,663,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
It bugs me when people repeat this myth. Yes, Denver is a sunny place, but it's not nearly 300 days a year sunny. More like 30-40% of days are sunny, and the rest are split between partly sunny, and overcast. It is true that it is almost never rainy.
Well, I will take the average cloudy day in Denver, anytime.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay8669 View Post
Great news you are making a great choice if you like the outdoors! but if its not your thing then I wouldn't do it. I am a single 25 year old female with a dog... this is the place to have a dog.... dog lover central! Also, bicycle riding here is sooo popular... your weird if you don't have a bike! I would agree that its dry here... but the mountains is the main reason people live here. not everyone. but you may find a new love for what we all love here!
I would venture to guess that the majority of people don't have bikes....

Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
Default food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfromboston1 View Post
Thanks, everyone! I'm surprised--I guess I was expecting to hear that my concerns weren't hugely important and that I'd love Denver anyway. :-\

To be clear, even though Boston is a great city, we're ready to move on from it, even if we don't end up moving to Denver. I'm sick of the gloom (it's not the cold that bothers me, it's that it gets dark around 4 in the winter and it's gloomy even when it's not snowing), ready to try something new, etc. And I know for sure that I don't want to spend my whole life here in Boston, though I don't know where I *do* want to be. We visited Denver in January and loved it--the weather, the scenery, the people, the general vibe--but it sounds like maybe it's a fun place to visit but wouldn't be great for us to live?

It's true that SAD vs dry skin is a conflict, and a change of pace might be interesting and fun, because, as one poster said, why not? We're pretty quiet people: we like to go out to eat, go see some shows, hang out with friends. I spend a lot of time reading and writing, and we both like walking around a lot and exploring. And if we moved there we would get a dog, so we'd spend a lot of time going for walks and such--it's nice that Denver has so many parks. (And as to the comment about getting a bike, yeah, that's a good idea! It's not very safe to ride bikes in Boston.)

But these sentiments worry me:

"And you're not really gung ho on hiking & skiing & cycling & climbing & outdoors activities (heck, since you telecommute, you could live anywhere you want-- right in the mountains, in a ski town if you wanted to). You know what this sounds like to me.... a recipe for boredom. You have your whole life to be old and boring. If you're both young and don't have kids, don't have a mortgage tying you down somewhere, aren't a slave to corporate America, and there's somewhere you feel like you really long to be (whether that's Boston, NYC, San Francisco, or Denver or somewhere else) then find a way to make it happen." -vegaspilgrim

"I think you will find the dryness too much to handle if you feel like Boston is dry. Lotions and creams can only help so much." -gmm_24

"But if you're not into the outdoors I can't imagine why you'd even consider Denver an option." -caphillsea77

"i moved from the east close to be close to big mountains. i know lots of people in denver who never ski or go hiking, but personally i would not give up the urban amenities of boston if i wasn't into the outdoors." -woob

Hmmm.
I would not rush into relocating to Denver or Colorado in general, coming from sea level. Take a few trips and see how you acclimate to the altitude. The air is very thin and the higher you go up in the Rockies
it gets thinner yet. Not everyone is fond of this higher altitude.
Once your body adjusts and begins to make more red blood cells,you should acclimate but it could take awhile. Denver IS NOT ISOLATED.
It's a bustling metropolis. There is mass transportation and a huge airport. The highways are jammed with commuters. If you move up into the mountains, then you might find a small town to be able to be creative and write up a storm. If I were you I'd move to seacoast Maine for inspiration before I'd move to Colorado. There are a lot of street people in Denver and those with the Marijuana signs on every corner. Young upcoming professionals are drawn to Denver for the high tech jobs, etc..........and they adjust, calling it home........the city itself is ultramodern and there are tons of museums, the zoo, the mint, etc.
You'd never be bored. You have to weigh all the various options.
It is indeed DRY and you need to drink tons of water to not get lightheaded. Some people do get nosebleeds. Others feel woozy.
Some get heart palpitations at rest. Again, it takes adjusting. Sounds as if you are heading there without realing knowing what you are in for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver