Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM

25 posts, read 140,047 times

Advertisements

A couple of people on here are leading you astray. When it's "colder", it will feel more cold in a dry area than in a humid area. The moisture in the air serves as an insulator. Cold in Denver is a crisp, mountain type coolness. Cold in humid area doesn't feel as bad, but you can almost feel the moisture when you breath in.

Regarding heat, again, a couple of people are way off. "Heat" in a dry area is always better than in a humid area. The dryness, to state the obvious, helps you stay dry. Heat in a humid area can be miserable. In addition to being hot, it is muggy, stuffy, and wet. You sweat a lot more.

My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmountains View Post
A couple of people on here are leading you astray. When it's "colder", it will feel more cold in a dry area than in a humid area. The moisture in the air serves as an insulator. Cold in Denver is a crisp, mountain type coolness. Cold in humid area doesn't feel as bad, but you can almost feel the moisture when you breath in.

Regarding heat, again, a couple of people are way off. "Heat" in a dry area is always better than in a humid area. The dryness, to state the obvious, helps you stay dry. Heat in a humid area can be miserable. In addition to being hot, it is muggy, stuffy, and wet. You sweat a lot more.

My 2 cents.
Not exactly. Humidity does serve as an insulator in that it prevents temperatures from fluctuating so broadly, which is why San Francisco doesn't get nearly as cold as Denver, although they are near the same latitude.

However, I guarantee you (from experience), that 50 degrees on a dry sunny day in Denver feels a whole helluva lt better and way more comfortable. than a 50 degree misty day in San Francisco. Here in Atlanta, as well as most of the South, we get a damp coolness at times in the winter which can feel bone-chillingly cold. I mean, the damp coldness goes through your clothes and penetrates your skin. I never felt that whenever I was in Colorado during the winter.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
When it's "colder", it will feel more cold in a dry area than in a humid area.

Does relative humidity affect how cold a person feels? (http://www.vivoscuola.it/US/RSIGPP3202/umidita/copie/RHaffectcold.htm - broken link)

Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,910 times
Yeah, sorry luvmountains, you're wrong. Damp clothes make cold air feel colder, much the same way higher humidity does.

It's settled, then. Best 4-season weather in the USA right here in Colorado, folks!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
I grew in the humidity of the eastern US and never even thought about it. During my 20's I lved mostly in the drier climate of the western US & Canada. It wasn't until I came back east and re-experienced the humidity that it really hit me...humidity sucks! Summer temperatures feel hotter and winter temperatures feel colder.

Here in Grand Junction, in late June of this year there was a hot dry spell that lasted for a few weeks. Temps were right around 100 degrees every day with single digit humidity. At one time I was watching the weather channel and I noticed that the temp was 101, humidity was 7%, and the heat index was 94. The sky was the brighest blue color imaginable with puffy white clouds, and there was also a gentle breeze. It really felt quite comfortable and enjoyable. A few weeks later when the so-called monsoon season arrived, the sky clouded over somewhat, raising the humidity and lowering the temperature...BUT the overall comfort level dropped, and it actually felt hotter.

Compare the 100 degree temp with 7% humidity and a heat index of 94 in the dry western climate to the more humid eastern climate with let's say a temp of 94 and a relative humidity of 60% giving a heat index of 111 degrees. When the temp is above 90 in the east, there is usually a high level of humidity too and the heat index is just about always higher than the temperature, whereas in the drier west, the heat index is often lower than the temperature. IMO, the dry western climate wins the comfort comparison...hands down.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-17-2007 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

My 2 cents.
When it's wet and cold, you feel colder.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When it's wet and cold, you feel colder.
Ditto.
I am supposed to make my message longer, so I will add this:
In general, for me, dry heat is better, and dry cold, to me, was better.
However, since I left Denver I no longer have eczema in the winters, and also I no longer have cracks all over my hands.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:11 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Maybe the "Lake effect" near Buffalo NY and places like that add to the bone chilling winters.

I think we'd all agree that 94 F with 95 % humidity is worse than 101 F in Grand Junction. But 20F and below with high humidity is like taking your jeans and cotton T out of the spin cycle, putting them on, then going out in that nice brisk "insulated" air.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Well put.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Ditto.
I am supposed to make my message longer, so I will add this:
In general, for me, dry heat is better, and dry cold, to me, was better.
However, since I left Denver I no longer have eczema in the winters, and also I no longer have cracks all over my hands.
Where did you go to? It seems like my lips are cracking or chapped or whatever the entire winter here (Southern IN). I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with humidity but more to do with just cold in general. I base this off personal experience though, so I could be wrong. I also don't use chap stick, that stuff is nasty, so that could have something to do with it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver