U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM

9 posts, read 30,978 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking at different places to live in/around Denver, I'm wondering which neighborhoods/suburbs have the "mildest" winters. I'm somewhat of a novice on snowy weather, being from San Francisco and previously from Louisiana!

I've learned a lot of general info on weather through the forum, like "the low humidity makes it feel warmer," and "don't buy a north-facing house," and "the wind makes it feel a lot colder," and " a fwd/awd vehicle will help," and "higher elevations generally mean more snow."

I just can't seem to find much specific info on the differences in weather from neighborhood to neighborhood (or maybe there's really no difference... I don't know).

So my questions are:
1) Which neighborhoods/suburbs of Denver have less snow (or where does it melt quicker)?
2) Are there less windy places than others?
3) What are the higher/lower elevation areas around Denver? I tried to find an elevation map online with no success...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as we're trying to narrow our choices of areas in which to live.

Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 01:34 AM

271 posts, read 1,322,079 times
Denver proper is generally low (5100-5200') in the metro area. The rest of the metro varies from about 5300' to 6000'. The farther from downtown Denver, the higher generally, with the highest areas near the foothills. The further downstream on the South Platte, the lower it is. The river runs from the southwest to the northeast, roughly. While many areas near the river in the northeast are low, the area is generally higher than downtown Denver.

Highest winds are along the foothills, especially along CO-93 between Golden and Boulder. That road is occasionally closed due to hurricane-force winds: a few months ago it was closed due to sustained winds over 85mph, gusts over 110mph. Snow tends to be higher in this area as well. Southwest Metro gets slightly more snow on average, but it's quite possible to get no snow there and a blanket on the north side.

Other than that, there aren't really any microclimates in metro Denver. We're all about a mile high and within 30 miles of the edge of the Rocky Mountains. Not much else to influence the weather on a local basis.

Last edited by oberon; 09-13-2007 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: corrected approximate elevation profile

Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 AM

7,676 posts, read 18,313,816 times
We have been living in Parker (28 miles south of Denver) for the last 3 years. The winter weather (snow) can really hit the Douglas County areas (Parker, Highlands Ranch, Castlerock) much harder than some other areas of the Denver metro area. The foothills next to C-470 can get hit fairly hard with snow in the winter also.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM

90,373 posts, read 112,872,222 times
Snow tends to fall unevenly over the metro area. Your part of town may get a lot of snow today; someone else's may get a lot in the next snowstorm. You really do not need 4wd/AWD unless you're planning to go offroading in the mts.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 36,936 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We have been living in Parker (28 miles south of Denver) for the last 3 years. The winter weather (snow) can really hit the Douglas County areas (Parker, Highlands Ranch, Castlerock) much harder than some other areas of the Denver metro area. The foothills next to C-470 can get hit fairly hard with snow in the winter also.

I am in SE Aurora and we seem to get more snow most of the time...or maybe it just feels that way!lol!

I would say SE and the foothills areas usually tend to get hit harder.

Terri

Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,381,860 times
Probably the least snow would be in Denver itself and its immediately adjacent suburbs, especially to the west and northwest (not including the parts of the northwest and west metro right up against the foothills).

Those suburbs right up against the foothills or just in the foothills will get buried in an upslope storm. The suburbs to the south and southeast will get hammered on a descending front from the north. The plains to the east are out of the mountain rain shadow and they will get hit by a east-moving storm (the most common type -- which is why I-70 EastBound is often closed in winter even when Denver gets no snow at all).

Lower elevation areas tend to get less snow, except for those areas that are too far east, as mentioned before.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM

66 posts, read 395,292 times
Why not buy a north facing house? I've never heard of this.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Default North Facing

lol! I never thought of it before either...until we moved into this (north facing) house. The snow NEVER MELTS off the driveway! It stinks! Everyone on the other side of the street hardly ever even has to shovel, their driveways usually melt off pretty quickly on there own (unless its really large amounts). Our next place will definitely be south facing!

Terri

Old 09-13-2007, 11:32 PM

271 posts, read 1,322,079 times
I assume by "north facing" people mean the driveway's on the north side. Yeah, that has to suck. Mine's on the south side. I still shovel occasionally. Buy a snow blower if you get a north side driveway. Also shovel as soon after the snow finishes falling as you can or you'll just make it harder on yourself.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
I assume by "north facing" people mean the driveway's on the north side. Yeah, that has to suck. Mine's on the south side. I still shovel occasionally. Buy a snow blower if you get a north side driveway. Also shovel as soon after the snow finishes falling as you can or you'll just make it harder on yourself.

Oh ya! b/c if (when) it melts and refreezes overnight, you have an ice rink on your driveway!lol! Not fun!!!

Terri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver