U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,512,636 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_20249874/blacks-find-base-denver-burbs[/SIZE]

Interesting article.......Was wondering if locals could shed some light on this article...Would be interested in hearing some first hand accounts about Aurora.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM

13,783 posts, read 28,151,902 times
Aurora is a gigantic suburb, 300K+ people. Runs the gamut from very poor to rich. I lived there for two years, and my office is there. I still shop and eat in Aurora occasionally.

Every type of person can and does live there (very diverse city-wide). Any residential segregation that exists in the city is via class only -- virtually every neighborhood in the city is integrated race/ethnicity/religion/national origin-wise.

Overall, it's affordable, and a good value (bigger houses + mostly middle-class, fairly self-sustaining), which IMO is most of its draw. Aurora is significantly cheaper than similarly-classed areas in Denver proper and the south suburbs.

The downside is that parts of it (specifically, the part spoken about in the article: SE Aurora) is pretty far from Downtown Denver, and much of the rest of the metro (SE Aurora sits in a corner of it). Mr. Ross, of the article, has a pretty long commute. But, SE Aurora is safe and has good schools, the rest of Aurora is around average, and a very small part of it (IMO) could be considered as "bad".

Keep in mind, that Aurora is a pretty polarizing place metro-wide, it is maligned by many non-Aurora residents, based on the incorrect assumption that the entire city is one giant ghetto.

There are plenty of threads re: Aurora and SE Aurora here on the forum. I'm not a fan of SE Aurora, it's too new, and is about as average an area as there is in the country (average meaning, if a film took place in the most bland/average suburbia in the country, SE Aurora would be it). However, I don't fault anybody for wanting to live there, as there are many good reasons to do so.

^In fact, the same could be said about the rest of Aurora.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM

210 posts, read 238,233 times
Interesting article. The guy above me is right about Aurora being diverse in many ways and large. I don't even consider Aurora a suburb. To me it is more like a city, a pretty big one too that is lacking a downtown with big buildings, kinda like San Jose.
It may surprise people to know Aurora only has 10K less people than Tampa, and more people than Pittsburgh and St. Louis city limits. One thing in that article kinda saddened me and that was the Black business owner saying Black businesses are going out of business in Five Points.

If your simply a yuppie that wants to be close to downtown move to uptown. I can't understand moving to a black urban up and coming area and not wanting to support the local culture and history. Why would you move to a Black historical neighborhood and ignore the awesome soul food restaurants, jazz and hip hop clubs and other sorts of unique culture that is rare in a city with as few black people as Denver?
You can find a yuppie coffee shop where you can get a latte and connect to your wifi on almost every corner in any of the hundreds of all white neighborhoods in the metro. Where outside of Five Points and surrounding areas are you going to find quality soul food restaurants that would earn a southern boys stamp of approval or boxing gyms that have produced contenders and legends like Ron Lyle? Why move to a place with a unique and different history and culture if your just planning on ignoring it and bringing the all white suburbs with you?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

17,086 posts, read 26,851,232 times
Default Only partially true

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Keep in mind, that Aurora is a pretty polarizing place metro-wide
"Saudi-Aurora" because it stretches like the Arabian Desert from Denver (good) to Kansas City (bad) thru a vast wasteland of emptiness.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"Saudi-Aurora" because it stretches like the Arabian Desert from Denver (good) to Kansas City (bad) thru a vast wasteland of emptiness.
Yeah, that, and countless examples on this forum of "avoid Aurora at all costs", and "I heard bad things about Aurora".

Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,030,479 times
The bad thing about Aurora is mostly that it's boring and lacking in character. Otherwise, it's diverse, very spread out, suburban from poor to well off, high crime in some parts and very low crime in others, and did I mention boring and lacking in character.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 AM

So are you saying its a boring city with nothing to do....The article makes it seem like a very vibrant city with a lot going for it....Please more from the single crowd. I mean would consider it as a future city to move to...but gotta know if the social scene is active out there or not.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 03-29-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM

5,610 posts, read 22,359,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
The bad thing about Aurora is mostly that it's boring and lacking in character. Otherwise, it's diverse, very spread out, suburban from poor to well off, high crime in some parts and very low crime in others, and did I mention boring and lacking in character.
Same thing can be said about Denver too.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
So are you saying its a boring city with nothing to do....The article makes it seem like a very vibrant city with a lot going for it....Please more from the single crowd. I mean would consider it as a future city to move to...but gotta know if the social scene is active out there or not.
To do in Aurora: suburban bars, Applebee's/etc, malls, strip malls, grocery shopping, Wal-Mart/etc, bowling, Chuck E Cheese, kids sports, etc.

There is plenty of social scene in Denver, so it's not like you'd be starving for it if you lived in Aurora. The wall between Denver and Aurora only exists in theory, so there's nothing to keep you out.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM

how far is Aurora from Denver? And I am currently in Charlotte, NC. How does Aurora, CO compare to Charlotte, NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver