Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

If I acquire a vehicle I haven't driven before, then when the first big snow comes, I'll test it out in an open area (parking lot, field, street with nobody else around) to get a feel for the limits of the vehicle. I'll drive it around, spin out, slam on the brakes, etc. I'll switch between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive. I'll take the tire chains out, put them on and test them out.

This gives me a good idea of what to expect when I'm driving on the street in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 27,556 times
I know it isn't practical for eveyone, but if you can do it, a second set of wheels with dedicated Winter tires makes a huge difference. Night and day.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I haven't found the type of tire to make as much a difference as 4wd-vs-2wd.
Not that I've experimented with this on many vehicles. Just a couple trucks and cars.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 27,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Not that I've experimented with this on many vehicles. Just a couple trucks and cars.
With all due resepct I have found exactly the opposite. In fact, our 4Runner on all season tires was terrible in snow. My MR2 on winter tires was much better. Now that the 4Runner is on Blizzaks in the winter it's great.

Snow driving is about much more than getting going. Stopping and turning in slick conditions requires grip in greater supply than mass. More mass takes more grip to turn and stop. 4wd typically comes with more mass. More drive wheels will help get you going, but the associated hardware will hurt everything else.

4wd vehicles often have greater ground clearance and that can help in deep snow. But "where the rubber meets the road" is literally just that. No substitute for siped winter tires.

Take care,

Ed

Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

4wd or AWD only help you GO, snow tires help you STOP. Don't know about anyone else, but I'd Much rather be able to stop than go. If I can't go, I can't get into any trouble.... if you can't Stop, on the other hand, and you can end up in a LOT of trouble.

I've been running Nokian WR tires for the last 2 years (All-Season, M+S/winter rated tires) on the family fwd car and have not had any issues. Well, I high-centered the car on a snowbank , but that's due to the low, low ground clearance on VW Jettas.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
aside from appropriate tires, etc. I would suggest giving yourself plenty of time. It will take much lomger to go the same distance on wintry roads as opposed to dry roads.
remember that there can be ice underneath the snow, so be very careful and give yourself plenty of stopping distance behind other vehicles. Practicing in a empty lot can be a good idea, but also try driving on a low traffic day, like a Sunday morning, where there's less traffic, and some roads may not be very well plowed yet. Keep watch on weather reports also, and road condition websites and radio channels.
Good luck and hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Hi,

I lived in Texas and I have moved to DEnver and I wonder if there is any training for snow driving. I remember something about a driving class to learn, they simulated the snow situations getting the road wet. They were using BMW's.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_eddie_72 View Post
With all due resepct I have found exactly the opposite. In fact, our 4Runner on all season tires was terrible in snow. My MR2 on winter tires was much better. Now that the 4Runner is on Blizzaks in the winter it's great.

Snow driving is about much more than getting going. Stopping and turning in slick conditions requires grip in greater supply than mass. More mass takes more grip to turn and stop. 4wd typically comes with more mass. More drive wheels will help get you going, but the associated hardware will hurt everything else.

4wd vehicles often have greater ground clearance and that can help in deep snow. But "where the rubber meets the road" is literally just that. No substitute for siped winter tires.

Take care,

Ed
What all-season tires did you have on the 4Runner? Mine came with Michelin Cross Terrain tires and they seem to break loose way too easily on wet pavement. Either that or the traction control is just hypersensitive. I'm thinking if they slip this easily in warm and wet conditions, they're probably useless on snow and ice.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 22,732 times
I'm a truck driver and run the mountains every year. I've seen all sorts of accidents that could have been easily prevented with a little bit of common sense. Also, have any of you ever noticed that nearly all the accidents that you see on the road during inclimate conditions, the vehicles always have 4x4 or AWD on the side of the vehicle? What that really means is that you have more chances of one of the vehicle's tires grabbing traction and throwing the rest of the vehicle's tires with less traction out of control. It's great to have when you're in a stopped position and may be potentially stuck, but not so great if you're going to drive like the inclimate conditions don't even exist just because the vehicle says 4x4 or AWD on the side of it.

The best way to prevent yourself from being in an accident is to drive "slow". No, it won't prevent others that are driving faster than you from losing control of their vehicle and slamming into you, but, you will most likely not be the one losing control of your vehicle and slamming into someone else and having another persons injuries or possible death on your conscience, either.

Tires, Tires, Tires, The real truth about tires in snow and ice, anyways, is; They don't grip if they are not warm. You can have the best set of snow tires on the market and they are absolutely useless if they are the same temp or cooler than the terrain they are driving on. I would always suggest tire chains if you absolutely have to drive. They will not only give you the life saving traction that you need, but they will also control the speed that you drive. You can only drive so fast with tire chains on. Well, you shouldn't drive any faster than the recommended speed that the tire chain manufacturer suggests, anyway. Which is usually no more than 30 mph. Oh yeah, if you can't afford to put them on all of your drive tires (The tires that actually spin when you step on the gas) at least put them on your rear tires to help keep you from spinning out of control. If you have front wheel drive only. Put the tire chains on the rear tires if you can't afford to put them on all 4 tires. You'll find out why the first time you slam on the brakes on snow & ice, or try to make a sharp turn.

If you are driving on a part of the road that you know that is particularly more icy than the rest of the road. Try to just coast over it without braking or stepping on the gas pedal. No, I'm not saying build up enough speed to get to the other side of it. I'm saying, take it slow and use your brakes and gas pedal very sparingly, if you have to even use them at all.

Tune up! If you can put your vehicle in Drive or 1st gear and it will move forward without you stepping on the gas pedal. Do "NOT" drive that vehicle on snow or ice under any circumstances at all. You are just asking to be involved in an accident. It also means that you do "NOT" have complete control over the vehicle's driving functions.

Leave early! If you have a very important appointment that you just can't miss or reshcedule under any circumstances at all. Do yourself and others around you a life saving favor and simply leave early. Speed is not going to get you there on time in inclimate weather. Allow enough time for you to get there and maybe even have enough time to spare. You'll be glad you did.

Space management and knee jerk decisions: You may consider yourself a good driver because you can make split second decisions and cut through traffic like a hot butter knife. Well, good for you. However, take a second to think. Is it really safe to rely on such a skill in inclimate weather? Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should. Try leaving enough space in between your vehicle and other vehicles on the road so you don't need to make any split second decisions that may produce undesirable results. Remember, not everybody is 100% right everytime.

Safety Equipment!: This is probably the most important one of all. Sometimes, all the driving skills in the world don't even matter at all. For instance, what if you find yourself broke down or the major highway that you're used to taking everyday is closed with you stuck on it!?!? Just last year, I was stuck on I-90 between Spearfish and Rapid City, SD for 2 whole days! It was so bad that they were delivering MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) to people that were stuck in their cars on the highway. This can happen to you, too. So lets make a list of things to have in your vehicle during inclimate weather.

1. Road Flares and Reflective Triangles: I favor road flares, not only because they are very high profile and people can see them from very far distances, I also like them because you can use them to start a fire, no matter how wet the wood you're using is. If you can afford too. Try to always carry both with you. Never use road flares if there is a fuel leak, liquid or vapor!

2. Blankets and Clothing: Always carry blankets and spare clothing in your vehicle. The time they could keep you alive can save your life!

3. Food and a Can Opener: Canned food and dried food is always a good idea to have handy. There's no telling how long it will take for Emergecy Crews to get to you and they don't always show up with food.

4. Water: A couple of gallons of water is never a bad idea. Your body needs water way before it ever needs food.

5. Jumper Cables and Jump Starter: The portable jump starters are getting more affordable everyday. However, I have found that many of them if left in your car out in the cold do not have enough power to jump start a dead car battery. They do, however, carry enough charge to power a cellphone, radio, spot lights, and other safety devices that can help you in that time of need. You should always carry jumper cables no matter what time of the year it is.

Well, darn, I'm out of time and have to go. I just found this forum and will be back soon.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriver View Post
Tune up! If you can put your vehicle in Drive or 1st gear and it will move forward without you stepping on the gas pedal. Do "NOT" drive that vehicle on snow or ice under any circumstances at all. You are just asking to be involved in an accident. It also means that you do "NOT" have complete control over the vehicle's driving functions.
Every automatic I've ever driven starts to pull as soon as I let up on the brakes, especially at fast idle when it's cold.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:22 PM

345 posts, read 974,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Every automatic I've ever driven starts to pull as soon as I let up on the brakes, especially at fast idle when it's cold.
You can always throw it into neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver