Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,212,165 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for a 3rd grade position in commerce city this week. I know it is considered the "worst" area to live from reading on here, haha...but teaching 3rd grade is literally my dream job. I never in a million years thought I'd even get a shot at a regular ed elementary position in this economy (I currently teach sped, but would LOVE to have my own classroom). I liked the school when I went to interview, so I'm not very concerned about working in a "bad" neighborhood. I currently work with really low ses students and mostly esl students and really like it. The principal basically told me today that all she needs to do is check with my references. If I'm offered the job, I'm pretty sure I want to take it, and I want to do my research now so I don't have to hesitate if she offers me the position. Are there any better areas that I could commute from at all? Just searching around mapquest plenty of places were 15-20 minutes away, but of course that doesn't take traffic into account. I'd probably be leaving at 7 something and coming back right around rush hour. I am ok with a commute up to 35-40 minutes, but no more than that. I can't really afford more than 1100/mo for rent and utilities (basic- not including cable and internet). Single, 24, female, no kids...want to avoid "family oriented" areas, definitely doesn't have to be right in the city but within a reasonable distance of things to do. The job is near 64th ave.

Last edited by harrison21; 04-12-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I interviewed for a 3rd grade position in commerce city this week. I know it is considered the "worst" area to live from reading on here, haha...but teaching 3rd grade is literally my dream job. I never in a million years thought I'd even get a shot at a regular ed elementary position in this economy (I currently teach sped, but would LOVE to have my own classroom). I liked the school when I went to interview, so I'm not very concerned about working in a "bad" neighborhood. I currently work with really low ses students and mostly esl students and really like it. The principal basically told me today that all she needs to do is check with my references. If I'm offered the job, I'm pretty sure I want to take it, and I want to do my research now so I don't have to hesitate if she offers me the position. Are there any better areas that I could commute from at all? Just searching around mapquest plenty of places were 15-20 minutes away, but of course that doesn't take traffic into account. I'd probably be leaving at 7 something and coming back right around rush hour. I am ok with a commute up to 35-40 minutes, but no more than that. I can't really afford more than 1100/mo for rent and utilities (basic- not including cable and internet). Single, 24, female, no kids...want to avoid "family oriented" areas, definitely doesn't have to be right in the city but within a reasonable distance of things to do. The job is near 64th ave.
Good luck on the application. Fortunately given your commute tolerances and budget you have a lot of choices. I would definitely not live in Commerce City. If you want "urban" I would live in downtown Denver or adjacent. If you want a "city" neighborhood but not quite downtown and with better parking than say Capitol Hill, then look at east Denver neighborhoods like Congress Park, City Park, Park Hill, Cherry Creek. Even Glendale has some nice apartments (a lot of them are marketed as "Cherry Creek" even though they're not). If you want suburban & more car-oriented I'd look at parts of central Aurora (just stay south of Alameda or so and you'll be fine). All these areas I just mentioned should be well within a 35 minute drive even with traffic. A $1100 a month total budget, even if say just rent was $1,000 a month will get you somewhere very nice. You can find pretty respectable apartments for as low as $750/mo.

As I always recommend when you're brand new to an area, if you're open to living with roommates in a house, that can be a great way to learn the area & save money on rent until you figure out the place better. Craigslist.org. It's not just a website. It's a lifestyle.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM

18,032 posts, read 27,479,203 times
I made mention of a shortcut from Arvada into Commerce City here via 52nd ave.

I used to work with a guy who goes from the Old Arvada area to a road just off of Wadsworth at I think 52nd that scoots all the way east of I-25 and on into Commerce City on side roads and you can get there in minutes.

Add: It's a bit tricky. You have to zig zag between 52nd and 48th here and there and when you get past Washington at 51st, you eventually have to get over to that hwy 227? and it puts you at about 72nd and Hwy 2.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-14-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM

345 posts, read 914,426 times
Good Luck!!

I am not a fan of Commerce City, the lay out, the factories, ick. While there is crime I am not scared to go there.
I would look North along Highway 85- Henderson, Brighton, Reunion- it is Commerce City but they would rather not be lol.
You can look in Denver as well but it would probably be cheaper and less traffic to look North.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM

I think Commerce City is nice. It's sort of like southeast Westminster... without all the glitter.

There again... the OP is talking about their dream career and Commerce City being a place to commute to for work.

But no, let's just turn this into yet another Bash Commerce City session.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM

345 posts, read 914,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I think Commerce City is nice. It's sort of like southeast Westminster... without all the glitter.

There again... the OP is talking about their dream career and Commerce City being a place to commute to for work.

But no, let's just turn this into yet another Bash Commerce City session.
Where is the bashing?? Vegas said they would not live in Commerce City...no bashing.

I said: I am not a fan of Commerce City, the lay out, the factories, ick. While there is crime I am not scared to go there.

Where is the bashing? Did I bash the people who live there? Claim there is lots of crime?

Westminster it is not, more like the older one story houses of Northglenn, but add industrial to the 'burbs.
I personally dislike living near factories that spew crap on a daily basis. While driving past there I shut my windows, or if I have heat or air on I turn it to circulated because the chemicals or whatever they do there smell and it bothers me.

I have had to work there and visit my sister when she lived there, they have made it in some areas, confusing to drive.
No bashing but my personal experience of that area. She is asking for people's opinions and we gave it. When people ask for ideas we give it based on personal experience.
You like it well enough then feel free to live there and recommend it, I and others are free to give a differing point of view. That is a beauty of being different

Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,058,899 times
Hi Harrison24,

Could you describe what you are looking for in an area to live? What sorts of things do you like to do? I would like to assist but so far the only thing I have to go on is price and not family oriented so my antenna isn't pointing in a particular direction yet to give recommendations.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Where is the bashing?? Vegas said they would not live in Commerce City...no bashing.
I wouldn't live there either. I really have no need to live there. But my dad and I spent many years there making money to put bread on our table in Westminster.

The OP said nothing about living there. Nothing wrong with making mention of it not being a desirable place to live, but the OP already knows this and based the whole thread on that fact in post number one.

They may have a job lined up there and on to phase 2... where to live... where to commute from?

Different strokes for different folks all you want.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM

118 posts, read 403,712 times
I wouldn't choose Commerce City for the OP, since it doesn't really offer what she wants. Not much to do. Congress Park/City Park areas would be good, as mentioned. Colorado Blvd is an easy and relatively quick route to CC, especially if you're generally travelling opposite the direction of rush hour traffic.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,212,165 times
I got the job! As I said in the first post, I already know I'm not interested in living right there in Commerce City. I think I already said what I was looking for but will try to elaborate...not family oriented, an area with other young singles, doesn't have to be in the city but definitely close to it, close to nightlife or with reasonable transportation to nightlife. We have city buses where I currently live in the vail valley area, and one runs right by my apartment so we can take it when we're going out to get to the area with some of the bars, but it stops running at 12 so no options when going home and taxis are outrageous. So I don't have to be right in the heart of walking distance to everything, but reliable transportation to get to nightlife would be a huge bonus (a bus, anything). I can go up to 1100 a month for rent + utilities but that is the absolute cap- of course I would like to find something cheaper. A good place for 800-1000 for rent and utilities would be amazing. Same for the commute- 35-40 minutes is tolerable, but if there are good places closer, 15-25 minutes would make me a lot happier. Commute is kind of the last thing on my list- of course I'd prefer a shorter one, but living somewhere I'm going to be happy with is more important to me than having a really short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver