Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 37,284 times

Advertisements

Hi: We moved from NJ to Denver, 3 years ago and loved it! We lived in central NJ for over 20 years. We did miss the east coast and our friends there but we loved the people, the schools, and the outdoors that Colorado has to offer, it gave us tremendous opportunity to explore and learn about the central states we have traveled to over 20 states in these past 3 years.

But, my husband had limited job opportunities in Denver for his skills so we have to move! He is in Chicago for the past 8months and loves it. Kids and I visited him there a few times and we have decided to move there and join him next month!

I do think Chicago is more than Navy Pier and gangs and bad neighbourhods. There are many great neighbourhoods, good people and from my visits I realised it blended NJ and Colorado beautifully! Big City with great people! And tons of things to do. We are quite excited about our move but we will miss the Colorado and surely be back to visit.

Both are great places to live in! But if u are looking to foward your career then I think Chicago is a better bet!

Hope this helps! Regards PSS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
My DD went to college in the Chicago area for two years, was amazed how Chicagoans seem to feel their city is the center of the universe. Look at this thread for proof: (On general US forum)

Chicago and Seattle (A real comparison) ( 1 2 3 4)

I have never heard so many people feel they need nowhere else.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
I lived in Chicago for 3 years (and still visit every few months), and in Denver for 4 years (still visit every few months).

Chicago: If I wanted to live in a big city, Chicago would be it. It truly is a great urban environment. It's big enough to have lots of stuff to do, but still not too crazy. The lakefront creates a great natural space. If you're looking for a lot of art, culture, great restaurants, bright-lights-big-city experience, Chicago is for you. The downside is the lack of much to do outside the city, especially outdoor stuff (you'd have to drive a while). Plus the winters -- I just couldn't take the gray and windy winters.

Denver: As a city, it's not in the same league as Chicago. While it does provide artistic, cultural, and culinary distractions, it is just not the same variety as you'd get in Chicago. The two things that Denver's got over Chicago are (1) the outdoors and (2) the weather. Denver provides a great home base for innumerable outdoor pursuits. And the weather is great -- it's not humid, and it's always sunny.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:45 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,740 times
Fuzz - I'm starting to think you and I have alot in common! I lived in Chicago for 4 years and Denver for 3 years.

Chicago is a world-class city in the middle of the corn belt. Denver is a 2nd or 3rd tier city next to the rocky mountains. It is hard to compare Chicago and Denver as cities, because Chicago has so much more to offer. BUT- it is hard to compare what is within a 2-3 hour drive of the two cities, because downstate Illinois is no western Colorado.

To me, it would completely depend on what type of person you are. Answer this question: When you have a free Saturday and want to have fun, are you going to look inward to the city for your entertainment, or outward to the outlying areas a couple hours away? If you instinctively want to explore a city, Chicago is for you. If you instictively want to drive to nature, then do Denver.

I agree with previous posters, I thought Chicago was an INCREDIBLE place to live while I was a young, single professional. I loved it. Looking back, my only regret is that I left so soon.

Edit: Even though I said that Chicago was great to live while young and single, several of the friends I made there have settled down with families in areas like Evanston, Naperville, or Hinsdale, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited by Lindenin; 07-15-2007 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
^^^ Lindenin, yes, we definitely seem to have a lot in common. Your quote in the other thread that "A bad day outdoors is better than a good day in" -- I've used that on many an occasion.

I swapped this:
http://www.syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Chicago/Chicago_night_14.jpg (broken link)

...for this:
http://www.syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Herman_Lake/Herman_Lake_12.jpg (broken link)

FYI, I do not live in either city now.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Very hard to compare so disimilar cities. The biggest commonality, United Airlines.

You simply have to ask yourself what is most important to you. Do you want fantastic culture, arts, museums, a big-city urban feel? Or do you prefer a semi-large urban center surrounded by great wilderness and ski areas?
Climate? Well, it snows in both, but Denver breaks it up it with nice sunny warm weather during the winter. And while, thunderstorms pop up in both, there is virtually no humidity during the summer in Denver.

But the biggest difference probalby is in the general feel. Chicago is midwest, and while the city is quite liberal, the suburbs are not. Denver is very progressive, both city AND suburbs. Take your pick.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:05 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^^^ Lindenin, yes, we definitely seem to have a lot in common. Your quote in the other thread that "A bad day outdoors is better than a good day in" -- I've used that on many an occasion.

I swapped this:
http://www.syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Chicago/Chicago_night_14.jpg (broken link)

...for this:
http://www.syedfaisal.com/Photo_Albums/Herman_Lake/Herman_Lake_12.jpg (broken link)

FYI, I do not live in either city now.

That is exactly why I'm leaving Chicago for Denver next month!!

Old 07-20-2007, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 42,246 times
Hi All,

This is very funny as I landed here [city-data.com] today, googling around for info. on living in Colordao. I just returned from a week long bike trip in the foothills. Bailey, Conifer, etc.... I have gone for the past 3 years for a week in the summer and have decided it might be a favorable place to settle down in a move from Chicago!!!!

But I will echo that of other posts in that it's not Apples to Apples. Also true that as a single individual it's second to none. But when it comes time to settle down and maybe purchase a home instead of paying rent...... You pretty much land where your budget dictates. I never would have even looked in the area I now live but you tend to get in line where your suppose to be.

I won't break bad on Chicago now or ever [cause Mayor Daley will come after ya, he's the best] but fact of the matter is you Best be comfortable with some gray periods cause it's gonna happen. The end of February threw March this year was out-of-hand. Gray and COLD!!!! I think there was a 3 week stretch there where I didn't go outside once home from work at all. Single - I probably would have slid into one of the more than 1000 local pubs.

But today, SWEEEET!!! Cubs at 1:20 Musicians on the street corners. High 70's low 80's even the EL doesn't smell so bad

But it's difficult to break free. You plan your day on when you can sneak out of the city or when traffic is a minimum. I mountain bike along the Des Plaines river and it's favorable. But even the Forest Preserves around here are no place to travel alone or after dark. Very Creepy and for a reason.

I'm trying to convince the wife on Evergreen.
Anyone from Evergreen?

4speed

Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 PM

404 posts, read 711,512 times
The public transportation in Chicago will be like 5 bucks a ride next year. Cook County is 900 million in debt, the police are as dangerous as the street gangs at times.

5 years ago, I had no issues with Chicago. I was happy where I was at, content on 2-3 week camping trips in Colorado. That changed on one night, due to the police, and as soon as they settle up, I'm outta here.

I guess my vacations will be to Chicago to visit my mom.....

In all just about everyone here hit it on the head. Both places have their flaws and perks. But I think you can get away with less income in Denver, and save money on taxes. 2.9% in Colorado versus 8.75% in Illinois. It's like having a high interest savings account.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 946,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish71 View Post
- Someone mentioned the Rockies . . . I'm sorry, I'll take the Cubs and Wrigley Field over Coors Field (please remember, my opinion) . . . Advantage Chicago
- OK for that matter the Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls . . . Advantage Chicago
I am not much of a baseball fan but I would surely go with Colorado having the advantage with the Rockies... Rocky Mountains that is (I think that was the intention.) And Id have to put my vote in for the Broncos and the Avalanche!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver