Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM

28 posts, read 81,880 times

Advertisements

Our son and daughter-in-law live in the Highlands (not Highlands Ranch) area of Denver, close to downtown and thus easy to get to on foot or by bus. My wife and I, both retired and approaching 70, are considering a move to Englewood. I've actually walked around the area fanning out from the Light Rail stop and have found it modest, pleasant, multiracial and, most important, affordable.

From what I've seen and researched, Englewood looks like a place that, with a little effort, one can get around on foot (my wife drives; I walk and take public transit wherever available). We're considering any area that's within 4-5-6 blocks of the Light Rail.

Anything else we should consider? All comments welcome and much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM

103 posts, read 291,281 times
Downtown Littleton is on a lightrail stop. It has a pleasant Main Street and a grocery store on a bus line I believe. Depending on your price range you should be able to find something within 4-6 blocks of the stop.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM

17,686 posts, read 29,645,485 times
Default Different anchor point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Icolari View Post
Englewood...considering any area that's within 4-5-6 blocks of the Light Rail. Anything else we should consider?
I would personally change my "anchor point".
1. You will visit King Soopers at Floyd and Broadway way more than the Light Rail station.
2. A zillion buses run down Broadway to the center of Denver.
3. The houses and neighborhoods east of Broadway are higher quality than those west of Broadway (ignoring the new apartments).

I would look between Broadway and Pearl to the east. Bordered by Eastman (south) and Cornell (north). These are not strict boundaries.

I would park my car in the neighborhood and walk every block. But, that is just me. I have done that both times that I have moved in the last 25+ years.

Have you considered Berkeley?
Closer to your kids and with:
1. Sunflower, King Soopers and Safeway.
2. Buses on 38th and Sheridan. The #38 bus goes straight to 17th and Larimer.

At age 63, I love living in Berkeley and deliberately chose it when we left Bonnie Brae. we are not "car-free", but we are only putting 4K miles per year on the one car and that includes my wife driving to Cherry Creek North twice a week.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,100,406 times
I would respectfully disagree with the Berkeley recommendation.

Englewood has:

A free circulating shuttle running between the light rail stop and Hampden and Downing.

Close proximity to King Soopers, Safeway, Super Target, Walmart and Costco. Also nearby are movie theaters, the Platte River Trail, and the Englewood Library. The Light Rail goes to downtown Littleton and downtown Denver.

An excellent senior center.

Close proximity to Swedish Medical Center and Porter Adventist Hospital and medical plazas for each.

Englewood is MUCH more affordable and gentrifying quickly.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM

6,373 posts, read 11,828,094 times
Gentrifying? It doesnt need to change and hence it is changing very little. I live next to light rail and could easily go without a car with too much hassle. You see quite a few people walking around the area between Broadway and Santa Fe so I am sure you would have lots of company.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM

17,686 posts, read 29,645,485 times
davidv and Willy702 are why you come to this website for advice

Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,987,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Icolari View Post
Our son and daughter-in-law live in the Highlands (not Highlands Ranch) area of Denver, close to downtown and thus easy to get to on foot or by bus. My wife and I, both retired and approaching 70, are considering a move to Englewood. I've actually walked around the area fanning out from the Light Rail stop and have found it modest, pleasant, multiracial and, most important, affordable.

From what I've seen and researched, Englewood looks like a place that, with a little effort, one can get around on foot (my wife drives; I walk and take public transit wherever available). We're considering any area that's within 4-5-6 blocks of the Light Rail.

Anything else we should consider? All comments welcome and much appreciated.
Any place north of Hampden would work fine for you. there is a free shuttle bus running east and west along Hampden. There is very limited bus service south of Hamden.

City of Englewood : art Circulator Shuttle

Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,365,343 times
I have disabled senior and a heavy public transit user which means I LIVE HERE and actually know the system. I consider Englewood as having the best public transit in the area because it has a rail station and a major bus route on Broadway. You can easily connect to all areas of Denver and many parts of the suburbs. It is the best place to live without a car because it is dense with many services, including a major hospital. I would note that there are good bus service south of Hampden with connection to the newer and bigger stores of the South Towns and the quality of some of the housing does improve with some really good neighborhoods, though I have no problems in living in the denser part of Englewood.

I have written much of Public transit this is a post about Englewood //www.city-data.com/forum/21591697-post164.html from on theThread Car Free Living in Denver which I started years ago. //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ng-denver.html

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-29-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,167,403 times
One can easily live in Englewood without driving. I agree with the advice to stay north of Hampden for the best public transport options. I also agree with the advice to expand your boundaries. You could include living within 4 to 6 blocks of Broadway to your search as you can hop on the 0 bus, head to the light rail station and use your transfer ticket to ride light rail downtown or wherever else you want to go or just stay on the 0 and skip light rail all together. Living near the Art shuttle is also a good option as it takes you to the library, Walmart, King Soopers, hospitals, Malley Senior Center, light rail etc. for free. Staying near Broadway will make the most sense for walking to places like King Soopers, the post office, barber shop, restaurants, etc. Englewood is very walkable and overall a nice place to call home.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM

28 posts, read 81,880 times
Default Heartened and grateful

First, a sincere word of thanks for all of your very helpful suggestions. I look forward to checking out the specifics so many of you have offered.

I'll also confess to a certain smugness about my real estate instincts. I liked Englewood right away. I liked its accessibility to public transit, its comfortable, working-class feel and the fact that the population is diverse. Your responses have confirmed that my instincts about Englewood were correct.

I'm feeling very positive about all this. Thanks, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver