Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
I lived in Florida for 25 years or so and completely disagree. I lived in SoFL and the panhandle and it didn't matter. It doesn't matter that every place has A/C when you turn into a sweating mess the second you walk outside. By the end of the day you feel gross from all the sweat/AC cycles. I was miserable in FL. BTW, the A/C only lowers the humidity a little bit. When it's 70% humidity outside and 50% humidity inside it's still gross unless it's 76F or less inside which gets expensive to keep cool. 90F at 11pm at night is no fun either. There's just no break from the gross humidity in the south.
But gross does not hurt! I'd rather my skin sticky but not hurt than dry but painful to the touch.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I spent more than 30 happy years in Colorado but the aridity got to me after awhile; since then it's been almost 7 years in both the panhandle and now far northeast FL for me. The definition of "gross" can differ; the eczema and bleeding cracks in my hands and feet I got every winter were gross. I've never dealt with 90F at 11pm but there are many other negative aspects of living here (bugs! blurry line between church and state!) that I have willingly embraced. I've acclimated.
Exactly, dry and cracked skin is "gross" as well as painful. Not to mention when you get intimate your lover doesn't want to feel nasty dry skin but smooth skin.

If you have any skin conditions, the south is far better than any other region in the country.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,295,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'm in Philly for 4 days working and I have to admit it is nice to be around green landscapes, rolling hills and water.

However, the major things I cannot stand about the Northeast are the rude drivers
I prefer rude to unsafe, and I guess it depends how you define rude.

Here in CO, nobody uses turn signals - that's rude.

Here in CO, people don't turn on their light under poor visibility conditions (dusk, fog, etc.) That's unsafe. For example, I was on I-70 near Floyd Hill on Friday afternoon during the snow and fog. Way too many (one is too many!) cars did not have their lights on with a visibility of about 50 feet.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,396,224 times
The posts of hamster21 on this thread are some of the best that I have seen in really looking at Colorado from a person who is from the east. Everyone who is thinking of coming here should read his posts. His likes and dislikes are well written and obviously he is well educated.

I grew up in New York and I have been here for many decades. Much of what he has said, I have felt myself. He filled my mind with nostalgia and longing for the east coast. His main complaints are the climate, the lack of moisture and water and the topography.He writes from the point of view of one who is young and his points of view are very valid.

However, what he feels to see is the advantages of a dry climate. Less moisture means less humidity. That makes the effects of cold and heat less. Less rain means less severe weather. In addition, I have found as I aged that the low humidity is much better for the pain of deteriorating joints and arthritis.He views the topography as not inviting because it has less green, less trees, less water but as I have aged in Colorado I can see the stark beauty of less.

He makes some issues that there are less parks and biking trails than the east. I am not of his age, and my time in the east was well before he was born; but my remembrance says that there are much more open space, trails and parks here in the West than what I have experienced in the East.

He tends to have a Massachusetts centered attitude with that Boston is the best of this and that. I have seen that when I was young in New York and that attitude has not changed. I have always thought it was one of the most self loving and arrogant States, even more so than New York and Texas. Denver is not Boston. Denver is a city of the West. I do not think one can change that attitude of a deeply ingrained person from Massachusetts.

To argue and say that he should stay longer and experience more is futile. He likes what he likes and the East is best for him. Yet he is a good person for himself; his views are good for himself. To be comfortable in the Great West, the land must invite you, and he is not open to the invitation; for You do not choose the West, the West chooses You.

Livecontent

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM

61 posts, read 201,772 times
Thank you for the thoughtful post Livecontent

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM

692 posts, read 1,354,958 times

Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM

61 posts, read 201,772 times
LOL hahahaha

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM

53 posts, read 90,912 times
I live in western Massachuesettes. I grew up here. Personally I dissagree with the op. I have been to every state in New England. It is nice here but I like the west better. Personally I prefer a dry climate. I hate hate hate the rain. And here we get it all the time. It is so humid and cloudy. Who would really want to be here unless they never go outdoors and live inside 90 percent of the time. Also the winters are so brutal and cold. There are great things here on the east coast but the weather is just terrible. Boston is a great city. So is New york. But
the weather suck. Whats the point of having all this hiking and biking and stuff when its almost never nice enough to enjoy. To elaborate on what was said a few posts back "the west chose me". I just love the idea of a brown dry hot sunny climate. I can't stand to look out the window day after day and its gray. Thats boston for you, thats MA. I want to move out west soon. Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, or California. Most likely California. What the op said about colorado lacking bodys of water might be true but California has the pacific ocean and lakes rivers ect... I love boston as a city but CA trumps it. You could find anything boston has to offer in CA and much more and much better weather. And what CO lacks in water and diversity CA would have. So for him and many others boston might be the best choice but for me anything east of Denver would only be a place to visit.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM

53 posts, read 90,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The posts of hamster21 on this thread are some of the best that I have seen in really looking at Colorado from a person who is from the east. Everyone who is thinking of coming here should read his posts. His likes and dislikes are well written and obviously he is well educated.

I grew up in New York and I have been here for many decades. Much of what he has said, I have felt myself. He filled my mind with nostalgia and longing for the east coast. His main complaints are the climate, the lack of moisture and water and the topography.He writes from the point of view of one who is young and his points of view are very valid.

However, what he feels to see is the advantages of a dry climate. Less moisture means less humidity. That makes the effects of cold and heat less. Less rain means less severe weather. In addition, I have found as I aged that the low humidity is much better for the pain of deteriorating joints and arthritis.He views the topography as not inviting because it has less green, less trees, less water but as I have aged in Colorado I can see the stark beauty of less.

He makes some issues that there are less parks and biking trails than the east. I am not of his age, and my time in the east was well before he was born; but my remembrance says that there are much more open space, trails and parks here in the West than what I have experienced in the East.

He tends to have a Massachusetts centered attitude with that Boston is the best of this and that. I have seen that when I was young in New York and that attitude has not changed. I have always thought it was one of the most self loving and arrogant States, even more so than New York and Texas. Denver is not Boston. Denver is a city of the West. I do not think one can change that attitude of a deeply ingrained person from Massachusetts.

To argue and say that he should stay longer and experience more is futile. He likes what he likes and the East is best for him. Yet he is a good person for himself; his views are good for himself. To be comfortable in the Great West, the land must invite you, and he is not open to the invitation; for You do not choose the West, the West chooses You.

Livecontent
Great post. Im from MA but Im the opposite of the op. I hate the rain and love a dry climate. I am open to invitation. And the west chose me like a great magnet pulling and pulling until I finally give in and move there. Where I belong. You rain mongers can have your disgusting wet soggy land. I love it brown and dry!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,247 times
Growing up in the midwest I remember going to a fair at 10pm, sun set for hours. The tempature was still stiffiling hot, suffocating you. . .

I am looking forward to not repeating that. . .but its personal preference to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver