Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM

643 posts, read 2,384,971 times

Advertisements

Higher altitudes = less air = less power in cars without turbochargers or without superchargers

If you have a turbocharger or supercharger then you will not see the effects of altitude as much.

Those of you with turbos/supers that may have "tuned" or "chipped" your car at low altitude need to be careful in higher altitudes. If the tuning involved increasing boost, its a lot easier to burn up the turbo/super because it is working harder to produce the same level of boost at 5000-11000 ft than it was at lower elevations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronus79 View Post
Just google "altitude effects on horsepower", there are even formulas that would let you know how much HP you loose at a certain elevation and atmospheric pressure, there are separate formulas for NA(naturally aspirated) engines and FI(turbo, supercharged) engines, and yes FI engines suffer less HP loss than NA engines at higher elevations.

Here's a quote from a car forum found on google:
Precisely. Fuel injected cars have a device called a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor. It gives the car's computer an instant reading of air density. The computer then adjusts the fuel/air mixture accordingly.

The MAP sensor failed in my last car and the computer either went full-rich or full-lean and by the time I got the car to the shop, the bad mixture burned the center electrode off one of my spark plugs.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Body rust from salted roads is another matter...
The rust is from not washing the car. That is due to laziness. Sand blasted finish and windows from sanded roads is another matter And fender benders from slippery roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiLagoon1 View Post
I've been in Colorado for almost 2 months and I did bring my 98 isuzu rodeo with me. Back in new york I was used to filling up my tank with 87 octane, while here in Colorado in the Littleton/Highlands Ranch area there is only 85 octane. I had a full tank of 87 octane and my car ran pretty sluggish as if it' s using more power to get up to normal speed. Once it was down to half a tank, I decided to top up with the 87 octane at conoco station. I noticed i was only getting 11 mpgs, when I should be getting at least 15 mpg from my rodeo. I had my rodeo checked out and tuned up before moving to colorado. I also bought 4 new tires and increased tire pressure to 36 psi from a suggested 26psi. I was also told to run my tank to empty then at the next fill up (last week) to put bg44k into my gas tank. I wonder if it could it be the altitude and different octane gas thats caused this issue? Has anyone has issies like this when bringing your auto to Colorado from out of state?
As others appear to be suggesting: the altitude isn't causing this problem. The altitude will cause a loss of power because the thinner air makes the engine perform like a smaller one at a lower altitude. But you should be getting the same fuel economy unless of course you're making up for the power loss by pushing the car harder.

Are you coming from flat land to hilly land?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM

21 posts, read 50,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
The rust is from not washing the car. That is due to laziness. Sand blasted finish and windows from sanded roads is another matter And fender benders from slippery roads...

As others appear to be suggesting: the altitude isn't causing this problem. The altitude will cause a loss of power because the thinner air makes the engine perform like a smaller one at a lower altitude. But you should be getting the same fuel economy unless of course you're making up for the power loss by pushing the car harder.

Are you coming from flat land to hilly land?
Moved from New york city to highlands ranch

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiLagoon1 View Post
Moved from New york city to highlands ranch
I don't know a thing about either place. If your vehicle is working harder, then you'll use more fuel. If the strain is similar, then you have something wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver