Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times

Advertisements

So it appears that Colorado is going to be a "swing state" in this year's presidential election. I've heard that Jefferson and Arapahoe Counties will be especially critical to winning the state, as they are large suburban counties that could go either way.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM

150 posts, read 393,076 times
"I had a person walk in my office the other day who was getting ready to retire at 112% of her final salary (about $140,000) and was getting about a $250,000 payout of her "sick and vacation time" that she had saved up. They get tremendous amounts of vacation and sick and if they don't use it they can store it up until they retire and get a payout--its absurd."

Just out of curiousity, acemandude, what will your nest egg amount to? It sounds like over the course of a person's entire career this woman worked rather than go on vacation and did not call in sick. And your point is... I get really tired of people who have come to see their fellow Americans who have worked hard their entire lives, and have negotiated healthcare, (something that most westernized countries see as a basic right,) and a reasonable retirement, as leeches and the "enemy"? Dare I say most corporate CEO's make that in a year. How is it that your hard work and income, gleaned from the same people who pay taxes, is somehow clean, and the money public workers earn through hard work, which is funded through taxes is tainted? Something is very distorted here.

Oh, and you talk about the unions funding elections, yeah, I guess the Koch brothers and Karl Rove are just whistling Dixie. Nah, the unions and my fellow middle class American workers have been demonized by your ilk, and are under seige with voter suppression laws and union busting Republican governors across the country. I live in the pathetic state of Rick Scott's Florida, where my tax dollars are being squandered by law suits to challenge the Justice Department's rulings against egregious voter supression laws and to fight the Affordable Care Act. Federal tax dollars in the millions are turned away because old Rickie has a thing against our POTUS, and its personal; the crumbling infrastructure and rapidly impoverished Floridians be damned. Rather libertarian I might say. Forget Denver, come on down to sunny Florida. I think you will fit in perfectly. It is proud of its union busting, business friendly culture, not to mention the huge confederate flag that greats you as you drive in on I-4 to the Tampa Bay area. It is becoming an apartheid state here but not to worry, the rich are behind gated communities keeping the poor out flapping in the breeze completely disempowered. You'll love it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 AM

40 posts, read 82,045 times
California's broke due to: a.) Major Fortune 500 corporations with HQ in CA paying almost nothing in taxes to the state, b.) Prop. 13.

While the Republicans like to cry about unions, it's clear the problem is wealthy individuals and corporations simply not paying their fair share. The solution for California and the rest of the country is to get rid of corporate and millionaire welfare.
And remember, Republican Schwarzenegger ran the state for the past 10 years.

Prop 13 had the consequence of people owning million dollar properties paying less property taxes than people in other States owning property worth 20% of that. It took away reasons for local government's to be economical, as taxes were effectively fixed for established residents regardless of whether local governments were well run or not.

Ditto the Idaho recommendation. I'd also throw in WY, TX, UT, AZ.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post
California's broke due to: a.) Major Fortune 500 corporations with HQ in CA paying almost nothing in taxes to the state, b.) Prop. 13.

While the Republicans like to cry about unions, it's clear the problem is wealthy individuals and corporations simply not paying their fair share. The solution for California and the rest of the country is to get rid of corporate and millionaire welfare.

Prop 13 had the consequence of people owning million dollar properties paying less property taxes than people in other States owning property worth 20% of that. It took away reasons for local government's to be economical, as taxes were effectively fixed for established residents regardless of whether local governments were well run or not.

How can you say Prop 13 is unfair when the US Supreme Court ruled in Prop 13's favor?

All Property that is subject to Property Tax is treated the same way... period.

California does not have a split tax roll or millionaires tax exemption... in fact, only owner occupied residential property receives a minor property tax break called the Home Owner's Exemption.

Prop 13 has all but eliminated the scandals plaguing the offices of Tax Assessors... prior to Prop 13... several Assessor went to jail and one committed suicide for handing out sweetheart deals to those of influence.

What Prop 13 has done is make property taxes more predictable and require voter approval for increases above the inflation factor...

Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
California has a spending problem and would still have problems even if Proposition 13 was overturned. I lived there and experienced it, so I'm not saying this as an outsider. Also, it's true that Arnold Schwarzenegger made some moves that were fiscally irresponsible (in my opinion), but the state legislature is/was dominated by Democrats, so it's not like Democrats are innocent bystanders.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilingblacksea View Post

I WISH Colorado had it's own Prop 13. I have friends in California who bought their house in 1972 for $80,000 and now it's worth $5,000,000. If it weren't for Prop 13 they'd be paying something like $5000 / month in taxes. California real estate is so crazy that no one would be able to keep their paid for houses in your scenario. The state's role is not to find new ways to suck money out of people; it is to manage it's spending. Although Colorado isn't perfect, I moved here from Cali and I love it.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Which is why Prop 13 is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
have friends in California who bought their house in 1972 for $80,000 and now it's worth $5,000,000. If it weren't for Prop 13 they'd be paying something like $5000 / month in taxes.
1. I bought my house in 1972 and pay very little in RE taxes.
2. My neighbor across move in 2 months ago and pays $5K/month.
And this is "fair" in what way?

Prop 13 has been a total disaster for CA. How about the part where the kids inherit the house and the silly low tax bill? Does this make any sense.

You bought for $80K and it is now worth $5M. Sell. Move to Colorado and enjoy life with $5M (less taxes) in your retirement account.

Prop 13 is old people taking money from young people.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Prop 13 is old people taking money from young people.
Exactly. Old people who could vote back in 1977 shifting the tax burden onto people too young to understand or vote against what was being done to them. A microcosm of the generational debt burden being shifted at the national level.

Colorado has much of both extreme right and left which to some extent cancel each other out. Its pretty balanced overall, which seems pretty unusual. May be one of about 5 states you can't pretty much predict which way it will vote in any presidential election. Certain counties, yes, but not so much the state itself.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Exactly. Old people who could vote back in 1977 shifting the tax burden onto people too young to understand or vote against what was being done to them. A microcosm of the generational debt burden being shifted at the national level.

Colorado has much of both extreme right and left which to some extent cancel each other out. Its pretty balanced overall, which seems pretty unusual. May be one of about 5 states you can't pretty much predict which way it will vote in any presidential election. Certain counties, yes, but not so much the state itself.
How can you say this?

I moved into my California home in 2005... the "Young" people buying on my street are buying larger/upgraded homes for a 1/3 less then I paid 7 years ago...

My assessed value is under appeal and the Assessor has 2 years to act from the date I paid my $50 filing fee.

My new neighbors have already heard from the Assessor that the price they paid... a little over $400k will be the new assessed value... I'm still within 7k of the 600k price I paid in 2005.

Concrete proof buyers today are getting a better deal then those that have owned for 6, 7 and even 10 years...

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I could have sworn this thread was supposed to be about politics in Colorado! Maybe we could move this one to the California forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver