Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 PM

371 posts, read 1,211,212 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on ditching the cable entirely when I move, but I still really need the internet. I can't find anything on their website about how much it would cost for just internet alone, not bundled with anything (not interested in a home phone either). I'm not a new customer so I wouldn't get any deals. My understanding is that comcast and quest/century link are the only companies available in the area, right? I'd like to know how much my internet bill would be in order to plan a budget when looking at rentals. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
If you just want internet only, I would suggest using Centurylink DSL. I pay ~$25/mo. It always works (except one time when their own repair crew broke one of the lines when they were fixing a phone line in the neighborhood). As long as you're not streaming netflix online, it's plenty fast for just regular browsing.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:14 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison21 View Post
I'm planning on ditching the cable entirely when I move, but I still really need the internet. I can't find anything on their website about how much it would cost for just internet alone, not bundled with anything (not interested in a home phone either).
Thats strange. I just went to their website, clicked on the Faster Internet tab, and it came right up.

Performance - Special Offer $29.99 per month for the first 6 months

Economy Plus - $39.95 per month

Performance - $62.95 per month

Performance Starter - $49.95 per month

Blast! - $72.95 per month

Extreme 50 - $114.95 per month

Extreme 105 - $199.95 per month

Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 AM

371 posts, read 1,211,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats strange. I just went to their website, clicked on the Faster Internet tab, and it came right up.

Performance - Special Offer $29.99 per month for the first 6 months

Economy Plus - $39.95 per month

Performance - $62.95 per month

Performance Starter - $49.95 per month

Blast! - $72.95 per month

Extreme 50 - $114.95 per month

Extreme 105 - $199.95 per month
Yes, I saw that page- it says under all of those prices that they're either for new customers or for people who subscribe to either the cable or voice service. I'm not a new customer and won't have the cable or voice. I can't find what it would be for just internet by itself.

Vegas, I'm planning on using the internet to watch tv- that's why I can get rid of the cable, so I would absolutely need it to be fast enough to do that. I currently get netflix no problem, so I know with comcast it would be fine. I find I watch a lot of shows on hulu anyway since I don't catch them at the exact time they're on tv, so it seems pointless to pay so much for the cable.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Yes, I saw that page- it says under all of those prices that they're either for new customers or for people who subscribe to either the cable or voice service. I'm not a new customer and won't have the cable or voice. I can't find what it would be for just internet by itself.
Well then call them and cancel your service. Then you will be a new customer. The first people you will talk to, will be the retention department. They should have some even better offers for you.

Also do you have someone else in your household who can take over the service, as a new customer? About ten years ago I was paying a fairly high price for DSL service, and splitting the cost with my landlord. To take advantage of a lower rate for new customers, my landlord agreed to put the DSL service on his phone line, and provide it to me free as part of my rent. As a result, he saved something like five dollars month. But I saved about a $100 month by dumping my land line, and getting free DSL.

Quote:
Vegas, I'm planning on using the internet to watch tv- that's why I can get rid of the cable, so I would absolutely need it to be fast enough to do that. I currently get netflix no problem, so I know with comcast it would be fine. I find I watch a lot of shows on hulu anyway since I don't catch them at the exact time they're on tv, so it seems pointless to pay so much for the cable.
It's a good plan. Before I'd ever pay $200 a month for a measly 200 channels, I rather pay $200 for a Extreme 105 plan and download more streaming HD video then I could possibly ever watch. All TV service is obsolete.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Here in CA I am getting comcast internet for $30 a month.
A cheap way to get a free bundle. Install a splitter and get free cable. You only get 70 channels and no premium but it is free cable tv.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Here in CA I am getting comcast internet for $30 a month.
A cheap way to get a free bundle. Install a splitter and get free cable. You only get 70 channels and no premium but it is free cable tv.

1) When I moved and wanted the "new person" price, I used my wife's name to sign up the second time.

2) I don't think the above method works here, from what I can tell. We just moved to a new condo here. I hooked up the cable to the Tivo HD while we waited for the cable card. As the above, I expected a few "free" channels. I didn't get any.

To answer the poster. . .I'm not 100% on consumer, but you can check the business price page for internet without cable. I heard its 10 bucks more expensive.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,734 times
Xfinity Performance High speed internet is $62.95 without any other service. There are no taxes or any additions, so that's what you'll end up paying. I think it is robbery, but since they have no credible competition here, so can charge what they like!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
We have a local Comcast Office where I live. Whenever my promo rate ends I just pop into the office and the ladies get me a new promo to get me through the next 6 months to a year. They want to keep customers, so just ask what deals they have to offer.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
The guy signing me up told me to call back in six months and see what deals they have then. They do have competition in most cases, DSL is available in most of the metro area with at least 7MB service so they can't just name their price. Add in spotty Clear service and the ability to get 4G from phone companies and its not a dial-up versus cable competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver