Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 AM

11 posts, read 13,683 times

Advertisements

ok you guys i'm new to this and hoping someone can help me to finally figure out where i want to live...i'm orginally from new orleans and now i live in houston (i hate...sorry) but i'm looking forward to move to either seattle, denver, pittsburgh, atlanta, boston, charlotte, chicago, minneapolis or cincinnati has anyone every lived or visited any of these places please help me out...i need cost of living, crime rates, schooling, job opps (i'm a medical assistant now) activities (nieces & nephews will visit every summer) and anything anyone can think of please and thank you!!!!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-03-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Wow, you are asking a lot of broad questions. You are also considering cities and parts of the country that are vastly different from each other. I suggest that you spend time looking through the many, many posts on the Denver forum about things like cost of living, jobs, schools, activities, etc. There have also been many discussions about what the people are like in Denver, comparing Denver with the east coast, etc. etc. etc. etc. It's all here.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I actually considered Pittsburgh before I moved to Denver. It was a very pleasant city to visit with a rich cultural life (many activities for children). However, the winters are more brutal than Denver's, and I didn't want to deal with that. Ultimately, I like Denver's combo hippy-cowboy vibe and the fact that the outdoors, dogs, organic food, music and books are all very important here.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:13 PM

51 posts, read 159,271 times
Of the cities you've listed, I've lived in Boston and Chicago. Both have lots to do in all seasons, if you don't mind snow and colder weather. Both are great for people of all ages (not sure how old you are.) I moved to Boston in my mid 20s, and I found it difficult to meet people who weren't transplants. The locals have this us vs. them mentality. (And, I grew up in Connecticut!) When I moved to Chicago in my mid 30s, I had NO trouble meeting people -- locals and nonlocals -- right off the bat.

Boston is a huge college town; Chicago has lots of schools, too. Cost of living is high in both places, but if you live with a roommate or roommates, it's very doable. You probably wouldn't have a problem landing a job in either city -- both have lots of hospitals.

Both cities have their share of crime. I've had a bicycle stolen while I lived in each city. One was stolen from my car (Boston). The other was stolen right off the street in Chicago (they cut the lock!). But, I've never had my apts. broken into.

I hope that helps.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
The ONLY way to get all those stats on all those cities is to get a copy of "Cities Ranked and Rated" by Bert Sperling. Check the local library for a copy, it's the book we used to pick COLO SPGS.

We have tons of existing threads on transplants from other cities, what people like about Denver, what people don't like about Denver, the schools, eateries, neighborhoods, transit, weather, driving, photo tours, etc. Use our search tool to find those threads, they contain a WEALTH of info from real people.

Otherwise, all of the cities listed are fine places, with good and bad parts, etc.

Sorry, but I just have to close this thread, there isn't enough space on this forum to go into all that detail on all those cities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-03-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: