Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 51,399 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

First time here. Great forum you have, I sure have a lot ti read.

We are relocating to Aurora (Mission Viejo) this summer from abroad. We have 3 kids, and my eldest son will probably attend that school. I will work at the Anschutz Medical Campus.

We would like to hear some insights about where we are going to spend the next couple of years (how is the neighborhood, the people, safety, traffic, parks, attractions, etc....). Specifically insights about the school are more than welcome....

Probably further ahead I will come with more specific questions regarding living in the US in general, and in Denver metro particularly.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

39 posts, read 110,800 times
Aurora gets a bad rap but it's gotten a lot nicer in recent years and has improved it's image, especially with the growth in south Aurora. The south Aurora neighborhoods are considered nicer and safer than up in north Aurora--although I recently heard Aurora was rated one of the safest Denver suburbs as far as driving goes. Can't find the source at the moment, however, so don't quote me on that.

Aurora is one of the more diverse suburbs of Denver as far as race and class goes. Many see this as a positive trait and consider it a good place to raise kids. It's definitely a large suburb/city and has older, well established neighborhoods in it's center. Housing prices are considered to be more affordable than nearby suburbs. As with most cities, Aurora has it's nice & new areas and it's shady areas. In the past, it's been considered an area with high crime, although I dare say the Aurora image has improved a lot over the last decade.

I'll let someone else tell you about their school system, I know very little about that.

Where are you moving from?

Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Mission Viejo though isn't all that nice. Its not terrible and not a ghetto, but its showing its age on most streets and I didn't particularly like the vibe of the area when I went there to house hunt. Its an ok location for Anschutz and will be much better once the 225 project is done.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:58 PM

Default Thank you for your answers, can you?

Hello,

Thank you for your answers,and sorry it took me a while to repost.

Can you describe more in detail why you didn't like Mission Viejo specifically? What is the meaning of a bad-vibe?

We are moving from a different country, so I guess everything will be different and new to us. We have already discovered that kindergarten is only 3 hours a day and we are learning more new things each week.

Is there a time estimate on the 225 project? What will it improve, once done?

If anybody can further detail Mission Viejo elementary that would be great.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
kindergarten is only 3 hours a day?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Default Yes, that's what we found out in Cherry Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
kindergarten is only 3 hours a day?
Hi there,

I contacted Cherry Creek School District, which where we are going to be part of, and they told me that in kindergarten you can have either a morning class, from 8:45 to 11:35, or a late class, from 12:25 to 15:15. There is a tuition based option to have a late or early program, but that costs money and usually has limited availability. Since we will arrive in August I doubt whether we'll be able to get a spot.

As I said we are new to the American education system, so any remarks and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbone View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your answers,and sorry it took me a while to repost.

Can you describe more in detail why you didn't like Mission Viejo specifically? What is the meaning of a bad-vibe?

We are moving from a different country, so I guess everything will be different and new to us. We have already discovered that kindergarten is only 3 hours a day and we are learning more new things each week.

Is there a time estimate on the 225 project? What will it improve, once done?

If anybody can further detail Mission Viejo elementary that would be great.

Thanks
Just feels old and not the best neighbors as there are lots of apartments and older condos around. Mission Viejo is a particular area not that big, but maybe you are using a bigger definition of it. Its better than other parts of Aurora though so with it being new you may find it fine and since it sounds like the decision is made on where you will live I hope you make the best of it.

As for the 225 project, supposedly it should be done in 2 years. The transportation authorities have made life miserable for 225 users for so long, they kept expanding the road another lane a few miles at a time. So now its 4 lanes for a bit, then 3 lanes for longer and then for a short stretch 2 lanes wide. The narrowing makes for a miserable drive during busy hours. Once finished this will finally get the road to be 3 lanes or more its entire distance. Also they are extending the light rail another few miles to Iliff for now and eventually it will go up to around I-70 and meet up with the train to the airport, but that is about 5 years away. Still its much needed because the parking lot at the current end of the line is always full on weekdays so they need more stops and parking.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Default 0.5 mile from the Mission Viejo park, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Just feels old and not the best neighbors as there are lots of apartments and older condos around. Mission Viejo is a particular area not that big, but maybe you are using a bigger definition of it. Its better than other parts of Aurora though so with it being new you may find it fine and since it sounds like the decision is made on where you will live I hope you make the best of it.
we will live 0.5 mile east to the park, so I guess it is Mission Viejo neighborhood. I got the impression it is a rather nice (family-oriented) place to live, with lots of kids and things to do. Hope I am not mistaken. Anyway, once we're there we;ll be able to learn the area more thoroughly.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Mission Viejo is not a bad choice. It's an older (1970's) neighborhood, not perfect, but still very liveable. It was built by the same developer who built Mission Viejo, CA as well as the initial stage of Highlands Ranch. It's in the Cherry Creek School district, feeds into Smoky Hill HS which is an excellent school with a top ranked IB program. It's also a lot closer in to town than living way out in SE Aurora.

I posted a photo tour of the neighborhood a few years ago. Check it out: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ora-photo.html

Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Mission Viejo is not a bad choice. It's an older (1970's) neighborhood, not perfect, but still very liveable. It was built by the same developer who built Mission Viejo, CA as well as the initial stage of Highlands Ranch. It's in the Cherry Creek School district, feeds into Smoky Hill HS which is an excellent school with a top ranked IB program. It's also a lot closer in to town than living way out in SE Aurora.

I posted a photo tour of the neighborhood a few years ago. Check it out: //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ora-photo.html
THank you so much. That was the impression I got when I learned about the neighborhood. These pics are great, exactly the kind of place we were looking for.

I will update soon when we arrive...... Wish me luck

(it is a hard thing to move to a new country.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver