Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,345,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
But, have they really made a major effort to overlay a rail system on that mess?
Well they say they're trying and the money is certainly going somewhere and its not into freeways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,809,711 times
Dang, can't be as bad as Mebane N.C., Why.......sometimes there may be as many as six cars at a stoplight!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They've been trying that for the that 2-3 decades in LA and the traffic has only gotten worse.
Was never there long enough to make that kind of comparison, but I will say it was awful nice to be able to use the rail system when I wanted to avoid traffic. 10 minutes into Hollywood was a pretty fair deal and a lot cheaper than parking. Bore out well getting to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl Parade as well.

I'm using RTD a lot more now and I have to say, my commute is very slightly longer sometimes, but my stress level is much lower, and the journey is much more reliable and predictable.

I don't believe rail transit will ever SOLVE traffic problems, so I can certainly see your point if traffic has worsened in L.A. in spite of transit improvements. Better transit does offer alternatives and options, however, for when traffic is anticipated to be particularly bad.

I'll also add, in fairness, that everytime someone adds a lane to a highway, barring a major economic downturn, the traffic level always rises to fill that capacity...requiring yet another lane. The best solution, I think, is to have as many options as possible and to co-ordinate that with local planning.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM

431 posts, read 979,514 times
This hasn't been mentioned here yet, but what would need to be done to build a subway system in Denver?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
This hasn't been mentioned here yet, but what would need to be done to build a subway system in Denver?
We'd need to raise a ton of money. A lot more than the projected cost of the current system. I think there might also be water table issues to deal with, but don't hold me to that.

There's not really a reason to do subway in Denver, anyway. Generally, we have abundant space for transit, and where we don't, we might be just as well off with elevated service (though that, too, is very expensive.)

Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM

54 posts, read 129,161 times
A subway in Denver? Why bother? Same goes for an elevated system. What Denver could use though is a return to the trolley system down Colfax to the old turn-around at east high to begin with.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
A subway in Denver? Why bother? Same goes for an elevated system. What Denver could use though is a return to the trolley system down Colfax to the old turn-around at east high to begin with.
I agree that it'd be great to have the trolley line back, but it has to have a dedicated right-of-way or else it's no better than the bus for an area as trafficked as Colfax. A well built line could alleviate some traffic on Colfax though it would do so at the expense of street lanes.

Still, I'd like to see something like that across Colfax and up Colorado, as well. I suspect the logic right now is that the current Fastracks plan comes close enough to these routes in conjunction with bus routes that they won't bother...short of an awful lot of money coming through.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 PM

345 posts, read 971,177 times
If they are going to put in some sort of rail based system on Colorado it needs to go at least between the SE rail line and the line to DIA...and on Colfax between Auraria and Fitzsimmons.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
How much time have you spent commuting in SoCal?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I used to take the 55 to the 405 for my commute of 11 miles. If I left before 6:15 a.m., it took about 13 minutes. Coming home was usually 45 min. at least. If there was a wreck, could be over an hour.

I was out in CA last month and my drive from central Orange County to San Diego took around 3 hours. Probably at least 50 miles of stop and go

Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
They've been trying that for the that 2-3 decades in LA and the traffic has only gotten worse.
Well, they've widened every freeway too, and traffic has only gotten worse! Seriously, how many lanes can you add? Part of the 15 in San Diego looks like it's going to be over 10 lanes in each direction.

L.A. really has very little subway/light rail in comparison to its size. Traffic is the main reason we left SoCal. What's your quality of life when you're trapped in your home all weekend, or trapped in your car for hours if you want to go anywhere? The last few years we lived there, I rarely went further than a couple miles from home outside of commuting to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver