Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM

75 posts, read 290,761 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all the input. Good to get different perspectives on everything.

Davebarnes - I have been following case shiller since 2006 and have been a calculated risk reader in that same timeframe. Another good chart is the mortgage reset chart that creditsuisse put out.

Jades - been skiing since learning at the age of 3 in tahoe and picked up a board back in 1996. Wife also learned in tahoe at a young age and we are both big camping nuts so we should be good with keeping busy. The hard part will be which pass or passes to get every season. I know last year was a terrible year so hopefully 12-13 turns out to be an epic season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Season Passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
skiing...hard part will be which pass or passes to get every season.
You need to be here on Labor Day Weekend.
Sports Authority (SNIAGRAB) and Colorado Ski & Golf have huge sales and all the major resorts show up to sell season tickets for a fairly low price.
But, you must be here in person. You cannot do it over the InnerTubes®™.
They also have other packages (e.g., multi-day tix).

Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM

75 posts, read 290,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You need to be here on Labor Day Weekend.
Sports Authority (SNIAGRAB) and Colorado Ski & Golf have huge sales and all the major resorts show up to sell season tickets for a fairly low price.
But, you must be here in person. You cannot do it over the InnerTubes®™.
They also have other packages (e.g., multi-day tix).
Damn.. Going to be out in Northern Cal for a wedding so going to miss it. Wish you could let someone else buy it for you.

Was thinking of doing a copper season pass or a 4 pack pass plus their powder pass, the GEM card and potentially the Loveland pass (wish they still included a day pass to silverton). With a 5 year old, we will most likely ski loveland and copper as a family and once she turns 6 look at other areas. GEM card would get me discounts at a basin and loveland.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Damn.. Going to be out in Northern Cal for a wedding so going to miss it. Wish you could let someone else buy it for you.
1. They take your photo.
2. The sale usually lasts a week to a month.
3. Relax.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I'm renting right now. I got a 9 month lease but I live in the city...it kills me paying 1,000 a month for nothing...but I'm still pretty new to the area and wasn't in a position to buy yet. I think it really depends. If you know the area well enough you feel comfortable you'll stay here and be happy in that neighborhood, then go for it.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I would echo the advice of those who say to rent for a while. It can be hard with dogs, but Denver is actually a dog-friendly place. We rented for two years while saving money, and like others, ended up in an entirely different place. Stapleton would be great for a rental; it's fairly central (though on the east side of Denver proper). You could spend your weekends exploring.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Renting right now with any "challenges" is certainly a challenge. Too many applicants to choose from.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM

57 posts, read 125,057 times
To the OP... a few things. Don't consider the economics you see of the housing market in Denver to apply to Stapleton. Denver as a whole hasn't taken a big housing hit compared to the rest of the US, and Stapleton probably has actually seen growth through the recession. Stapleton has been in huge demand for many years, and will continue to see demand over the next 5-10 years if not longer.

Good houses in Stapleton literally are on the market for a day or two before they sell, and normally receive multiple offers. As for renting in stapleton, you can try, but those are in huge demand too.

If I were you, I would strongly recommend you get in touch with a realtor to have them keep an eye out for exactly what you want, so that you can pounce when it comes available.

Also, if you do decide to rent... why not build new? There is a lot of choices, and if you're picky, this is the best way to get EXACTLY where you want, and what you want. Might be the best option for you (rent AND build).

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm renting right now. I got a 9 month lease but I live in the city...it kills me paying 1,000 a month for nothing...but I'm still pretty new to the area and wasn't in a position to buy yet. I think it really depends. If you know the area well enough you feel comfortable you'll stay here and be happy in that neighborhood, then go for it.
Well you are getting a roof over your head, you probably don't have to do any lawn work or maintenance and you can move anytime you want. I don't know, as a home owner renting has a lot of nice perks and worth it, I sort of miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver