Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,633 times

Advertisements

hi guys and gals, my fiance and i are moving to the denver area in a month and we are looking to buy a new home once we get out there. only problem is, im not familiar with the area and really dont know to much about real estate investing. We are a young couple looking for a good starter home under 200,000. We just want to know that in spending that little amount of money, we are moving to a good neighborhood that we will not see a drop in our investment over time. I am curious as to what areas outside of denver and around are up and comming. In a few years we will sell our investment and buy a bigger home for a family so I really need some advice from you intelligent and well established elders. lol thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,440 times
If you don't know the area, it is best to find a place to rent first. Then take your time looking around at different areas. If you try to find a house right off the bat, you may end up settling for a house or part of town that you will later regret.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,061 times
The homes are out there. I found a three bedroom, 2 bath, newer construction, two car garage in Wellington (north of Fort Collins) for 150,000 a couple weeks ago. There are a lot of foreclosures and if you are patient you will find the right one. If you are looking at resell down the line, I would stay away from modular homes, apartments, and even town homes. It would be better to get a house that you had to put a little elbow grease into if you want to possibly make some money down the line, rather than buying one of these. Will you be working in Denver?

Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,633 times
dont know where ill be working yet. i wont have an issue finding a job i dont think. i hope

Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane1 View Post
hi guys and gals, my fiance and i are moving to the denver area in a month and we are looking to buy a new home once we get out there. only problem is, im not familiar with the area and really dont know to much about real estate investing. We are a young couple looking for a good starter home under 200,000. We just want to know that in spending that little amount of money, we are moving to a good neighborhood that we will not see a drop in our investment over time. I am curious as to what areas outside of denver and around are up and comming. In a few years we will sell our investment and buy a bigger home for a family so I really need some advice from you intelligent and well established elders. lol thanks so much
"only problem is,...."

You are moving in a month? What is the result of your research? What places are you considering? If your initial home purchase suffers a 20% loss in three years after you buy it will you still buy a bigger home for your family?

Where will you be working?

My crystal ball has dead batteries so I can't comment on if your house investment will drop in time.

I agree with an earlier post. Consider renting until you have done your homework. Better yet, do your homework first.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
No one can predict the future. We may be in the midst of a terrific sellers market - and we may not.

Begin with the end in mind. If you do decide to buy - look at the location - area, community, subdivision, lot - make sure you have a great buyer's agent on your side, with good knowledge of first time homebuyer programs, and is willing to hand hold you through your first transaction.

There are plenty of houses on the market to choose from.

Are you handy? Do you like to tinker with things? or do you prefer something turn key? (ready to move into)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM

616 posts, read 3,005,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
We may be in the midst of a terrific sellers market - and we may not.
Sellers market?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Sellers market?
Sure Anything is possible.

Actually, once the fed decides that they will increase FHA loan limits, and or buy more mortgages above the FHA limits (probably Freddie Mac) investors on wall street will start buying again and our normal market will return.

I have has 3 deals fail to close in the last two months due to financing. 2 have since closed with other lenders. One was a 5% down and we went to FHA and 3% down...the other was 10% down - we switched to a 20% down...the one we could not get done was a jumbo loan at 8.5% - but the seller said let's do a lease purchase until rates are more reasonable (ie under 7.5%) in the future.

Denver has been generally stable since 2001, so if a seven year cycle is realized, we should start getting hotter...ok at least warmer...in 2008...depending on the loan shakeout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver