Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

Hello here! Sorry if you guys get alot of these questions;

My partner and I are looking to move to Denver at the end of Fall- We're both 21.

I live in California with my parents; I feel mentally ready and financially okay to move, please no bashing.

Long shot, but we're both looking for $500-$700 total on rent. does anyone know if this would be possible? Or could recommend any places (could be in a different city!)? We both visited Denver a couple of weeks ago for a week and fell in love with the place. We stayed at a friend's apartment, they resided around East Tennessee Street (or Ave?). It seemed kind of ghetto around the area, but nothing too bad...

I would be willing to dish out a little more for a safe area, by the way.

And how difficult would it be to find a job? We're both college students, by the way.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
1. Get your degrees. Both of you.
2. Try to get jobs here before moving here. Job market depends on field of work. What are yours?
3. $700 is on the low side. The rental market in Denver is very tight. "Home rental rates remain below 2%" Denver-area rental rates hover near historic lows | Inside Real Estate News
4. Tennessee Ave. Streets runs north/south and avenues east/west in Denver. Do you remember the address of your friend's place? Your definition of "ghetto" will help us help you.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Get your degrees. Both of you.
2. Try to get jobs here before moving here. Job market depends on field of work. What are yours?
3. $700 is on the low side. The rental market in Denver is very tight. "Home rental rates remain below 2%" Denver-area rental rates hover near historic lows | Inside Real Estate News
4. Tennessee Ave. Streets runs north/south and avenues east/west in Denver. Do you remember the address of your friend's place? Your definition of "ghetto" will help us help you.
my boyfriend will be getting his degree this summer-- The plan is I'll be taking online courses from California community colleges until I become an official resident in Denver, then go to school from there

it was 6800 east Tennessee ave

thank you~

edit: it doesn't necessarily have to be in denver. i don't mind a different city, like aurora or something. but like i said... i'm willing to put out a couple more for a somewhat safer area.

Last edited by hakkyou; 06-16-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkyou View Post
my boyfriend will be getting his degree this summer-- The plan is I'll be taking online courses from California community colleges until I become an official resident in Denver, then go to school from there

thank you~

edit: it doesn't necessarily have to be in denver. i don't mind a different city, like aurora or something. but like i said... i'm willing to put out a couple more for a somewhat safer area.
Read this link. It's more than just living here. It does sound like you have a plan. Good luck.

Colorado Higher Education Residency Guide

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Read this link. It's more than just living here. It does sound like you have a plan. Good luck.

Colorado Higher Education Residency Guide
thank you very much! i'm still doing my research, and this will definitely help

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Default OMG - Ghetto

Quote:
If you think Monaco and Tennessee in Denver is ghetto, then your expectations are VERY HIGH.
Having lived near there for 3 years and shopped at the King Soopers, I would never call this area "ghetto".

Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
If you think Monaco and Tennessee in Denver is ghetto, then your expectations are VERY HIGH.
Having lived near there for 3 years and shopped at the King Soopers, I would never call this area "ghetto".
Really? I asked my friend (who lives in denver) if that area was ghetto, and he said kind of- maybe it was a psychological reaction, then.

I live in the bay area/near sf and sometimes felt unsafe walking around there, esp san francisco. But walking around in denver didnt feel sketch to me.

Apologies for making it seem like my expectations are too high about the ghetto.

edit: i also enjoyed the convenience of King soopers, safe way, and the other places that were near by!

Last edited by hakkyou; 06-16-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
The actual single-family home neighborhoods in southeast Denver are good neighborhoods and have held up well over the years. However most of the apartment complexes in the area (with some exceptions) are aging and tend to be low rent, less desirable places to live.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The actual single-family home neighborhoods in southeast Denver are good neighborhoods and have held up well over the years. However most of the apartment complexes in the area (with some exceptions) are aging and tend to be low rent, less desirable places to live.
if you don't mind, can you supply the neighborhood names that you have in mind?

thank you for this information!

Old 06-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Default Neighborhoods

Quote:
if you don't mind, can you supply the neighborhood names that you have in mind?
1. Your friend lives in Virginia Village. Most people would not refer to it as "ghetto".
2. The best/most expensive neighborhoods in Denver are: Hilltop, Cherry Creek, Country Club, Wash Park Belcaro which are all northeast of your friend's place.
3. The other surrounding neighborhoods are: Cory-Merrill, University Park, Wellshire. University Hills, Indian Creek, Goldsmith which are all desirable neighborhoods.

See the map. http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

P.S. Lower Bottoms in Oakland, CA is ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: