Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 PM

131 posts, read 209,376 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job transfer to the DTC, and we've never visited Denver before. So any help on the following would be greatly appreciated. He will be working long hours, so we would like to live close to his job. It's just the two of us, no children (yet). And we have zero experience driving in snow...

-Is there any advantage/disadvantage to living in the DTC as opposed to, say, Greenwood Village or Cherry Hills Village?
-Is the DTC considered a safe neighborhood? (I have already read that there is no nightlife - that's not really a problem.)
-Are utilities costlier in the DTC?
-Anyone have any recommendations on renting an apartment vs. renting a condo in the area?
-Is it much more important to have a garage rather than simply covered parking?
-Are insects a problem in the area?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM

616 posts, read 2,996,182 times
DTC is within an easy commute of many communities. Greenwood Village, Centennial, Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch and parts of Parker and Aurora are only a few minutes drive away.

Personally, I'd rather have a garage than a car port. Keeps you out of the weather getting in and out of the car, especially if you have groceries or other bags to carry in. We can get some good thunderstorms and of course snow.

As for bugs check out this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...-colorado.html

If you are looking for a rental. You can check out rentals.com.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Utilities are the same everywhere that has Excel, which is basically the whole metro, I think.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Utilities are the same everywhere that has Excel, which is basically the whole metro, I think.
Xcel Energy for electric and gas, but water and sewer rates will depend on the water district you are in.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 AM

291 posts, read 2,069,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
-Is there any advantage/disadvantage to living in the DTC as opposed to, say, Greenwood Village or Cherry Hills Village?
No, the borders among them is quite blurred. Cherry Hills is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Metro Denver, with almost NO rentals. Other "close-in" DTC properties are quite expensive.

Quote:
-Is the DTC considered a safe neighborhood?
Yes, traffic is a bigger problem, getting in/out of DTC.

Quote:
-Are utilities costlier in the DTC?
No, it's the same all over.

Quote:
-Anyone have any recommendations on renting an apartment vs. renting a condo in the area?
There are a lot of choices including lots of new apartments, some very nice. You can pick either based on the unit.

Quote:
-Is it much more important to have a garage rather than simply covered parking?
Not really. Shelter from the weather is about the same, security would be the difference.

Quote:
-Are insects a problem in the area?
No, there are very few insects, and those that are here are small.

If you are close to work, driving in snow is a minor concern. And if you can wait until afternoon, 99% of snows are melted off the streets by then.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 AM

11,813 posts, read 34,270,988 times
What is important to you? There are some nice places in DTC to live - they are more expensive than Englewood, Centennial and Aurora

Englewood & CHV share a zip code, DTC is not a city - but depending on where in the DTC you could be in Denver (Belleview north) Englewood or Greenwood Village.

What are you looking for?

Vallagio is one of my favorite new places. Just put a lawyer under agreement there. There are high rises, and townhomes, and loft looking like condos - a few patio homes...

Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 AM

Thanks everyone for the info so far. It is much appreciated! I just read the referenced thread on insects and I can deal with spiders and mosquitoes (we almost chose to relocate to Atlanta, and the thought of "flying cockroaches" horrified me...).

I've indeed been checking out Apartments.com and Rent.com. Problem is that I read reviews at ApartmentRatings.com on the apartments I like, and there are always so many complaints (usually about the thin walls, which is a universal complaint). So I was thinking that perhaps renting a condo would be a better choice. This is still up in the air. As someone has already replied to me - it will depend on the unit.

What we desire is a safe and quiet area, within ten minutes drive of his job in the DTC, and a comfortable (newer) apartment/condo rental (we're willing to pay up to $950/monthly).

So, if I may:

- I'm assuming areas such as Englewood and Lone Tree are going to be drives through bad traffic (husband will be working at 8am). True? If not, is Englewood a safe/desireable neighborhood?
- I'm also assuming the entire area bordered by DTC Blvd, E Arapahoe Road, S Peoria Street, and E Belleview is safe and desireable? Are there undesireable areas of the DTC?

Thanks again in advance for everyone's advice.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
- I'm assuming areas such as Englewood and Lone Tree are going to be drives through bad traffic (husband will be working at 8am). True? If not, is Englewood a safe/desireable neighborhood?
- I'm also assuming the entire area bordered by DTC Blvd, E Arapahoe Road, S Peoria Street, and E Belleview is safe and desireable? Are there undesireable areas of the DTC?
The drive from Lone Tree would not be bad at all. I'm in Highlands Ranch and I can get to DTC in 15 minutes or less.

DTC is mostly a business area. I really don't think there is an "undesireable" area in or around DTC, but tastes do differ. I'm not sure what housing is in DTC itself, I think it is really in bordering Greenwood Village and Centennial.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,933,579 times
DTC used to have no residential at all until very recently. Recently, there is some residential construction, almost all multi-family and mostly relatively high end.

I think that lately living in DTC has been touted as something of an "urban-lite" lifestyle -- residents can live in a high-rise building, maybe walk or bike to work, but not have to deal with the problems that come with living in a real urban setting. Contrary to what you've heard, there is a growing nightlife in DTC (mostly serving the after-work crowd but also a growing number of residents).

If you're on a budget and you want close to DTC, there's a good number of affordable condos and townhomes on Quincy at DTC Blvd -- this would be at the very northern end of DTC.

In response to your question about living in DTC versus living in Greenwood Village or especially Cherry Hills Village -- there's really not a lot of comparison between them. Cherry Hills Village is a rather exclusive enclave of million dollar homes that is by design NOT connected to DTC, and certainly doesn't have any multi-family housing. Greenwood Village has a little bit more diversity of housing stock than GV, but is still quite exclusive.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and experience. It is very much appreciated.

One final question: How long is the morning commute from Englewood to the DTC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver