Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well living in Austin, no matter how miserable it gets, there is NO way out. In other words, you can drive hundreds of miles in any direction and the heat is just as bad. However, in Denver, even when its 100 degrees, you can drive up into the mountains (Estes Park, Vail, Allenpark, etc) and the temps are 20-25 degrees cooler. It's like an escape!! I can't imagine what I-70 must have looked like this past weekend heading up into the mountains!
My daughter said it was pretty bad coming back yesterday. She also said it was 88 in Leadville on Sat. That is about 15 degrees cooler than metro Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Kinda over this already. I've been seeing 104-105 in my vehicle in the afternoons after driving for minutes, not sitting parked in the sun.

Was going to maybe drive up to Loveland Pass or Berthoud Pass, but it was still 80s up there
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Denver weather!!-photo.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
I missed most of it. I was in Anaheim from Friday morning through last night. Mid 70s there. I just want it to cool down to help with the fire fighting efforts.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Another record heat day is predicted for today, and likely tomorrow. We're in record range for most consecutive days over 100º.
From 9news:

Quote:
Denver Weather Forecast
6:09 AM, Jun 25, 2012

*Sunday June 24th: DIA set a new record high of 102 degrees. The old record was 100 degrees set in 2007.*

That makes Sunday the third consecutive day above 100 degrees. The record for most consecutive 100-degree days is 5, set from July 4-8, 1989 and from July 19-23, 2005.

TODAY: Day number 4 of 100 degree heat is in store for this Monday afternoon. Denver remains under a RED FLAG WARNING from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. with wind gusts out of the south to 30 mph expected. Highs will be from 99 to 104 degrees. The record high for June 25 is 100 degrees, last set in 1991. . .

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Back to the OP's original question re: Elevation/temperature -

Denver's expected highs
103, 102, 99, 98, 96

Hays, Kansas (elevation 1998 ft)
110, 110, 111, 107, 103

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
So tired of the "dry heat" meme. I've done hot and humid, and yes it is absolutely miserable.

But for a dry heat, crank the temp up to 200 on your oven for 15 minutes. Now open your oven and put your head in there. Try touching some of the metal work. That's living in a dry heat. You can't open your car door or touch your steering wheel if it's been in the sun, you dehydrate so fast you can't take in water fast enough, and if you lack air conditioning and have only a fan in your home, you are doing little more than blowing that hot dry air around.

Both types of heat can be miserable for completely different reasons. I think most people that argue "dry heat" may have visited (perhaps in a well air conditioned hotel or early in the morning on the golf course before the heat sets in), but have never really *lived* in such conditions.
But in very plain and simple terms dry heat is not as uncomfortable as humid heat. ANY heat sucks but look at the following when examining the dew points (10 x better measure of how the humidity feels) -

Denver - 100
Dew point - 27
Heat index - 95

Las Vegas - 101
Dew Point - 10
Heat index - 95

Houston - 101
Dew point - 66 (and this is low for Houston right now)
Heat index - 105

(Temps from today)

That 10 degrees makes a HUGE difference and explains why humid weather is hotter. Yes, I've been to dry climates including Denver and while it is hot it always feels hotter when I get back to TX. You have to drink more water in a humid climate because you lose more. This is a fact.

From the #2 heart hospital in the U.S. -

"In dry weather, sweat evaporates quickly, so only a small amount of sweat is needed to lower body temperature. But in humid conditions, sweat takes longer to evaporate from the skin because the air already contains a lot of water. So, in these humid conditions, the body tries to cool itself by sweating even more. If you do not replenish the water that your body loses, you will become dehydrated."

Hot Weather Exercise Tips - Texas Heart Institute Heart Information Center

Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 43,688 times
We have been considering moving to Colorado. We are in Houston and right now at 9 PM the temp is 85, dewpoint is 74% and humidity is 80%. We hate it here. We spend almost all summer in doors and by all summer, I mean May through September because it is way too hot to be outside for too long. Not to mention the mosquitos. It's really aweful when you can't enjoy your summers with the kids because it's too hot. I would love to live somewhere that has 4 seasons, because we only have 2, hot and hell.
To the pp who is serving overseas, We appreciate all of your hard work just so we can sit here and complain about the weather in our air conditioned homes. Bless you!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Grew up in humid heat and lived in it most of my life. Have lived in a "dry" environment for the past 14 years and prefer it hands down. However, living in Arizona in the summer (the valley) is tough when you don't want to go outside due to the "blow dryer" effect. But I must say, even though it is hot in the direct sun when you step into the shade it's an entirely different story. When I first moved here I was amazed how different it felt sitting in the shade as opposed to the sun. Back East, the humidity was high whether in or out of the sun! Not to beat a dead horse because I realize some folks prefer the humidity for various reasons.

We visited family in Boston last summer and really enjoyed the weather until our last morning. It was 74 degrees when we woke up, but the humidity level was off the charts and none of us could stay dry. Prior to that, I thought of moving back East a number of times to be near family and childhood friends, but the thought of the humid summers and long, cold, winters snaps me back to reality every time.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Anyone else ready for fall / winter?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Anyone else ready for fall / winter?
No, I just want normal summer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver