Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 20,379 times

Advertisements

Hi --

My husband, 10-year old son and I will be moving to Denver in August. I've done a lot of reading on the forums about neighborhoods, but now realize I need to choose the school (schools?) first. I'll be working in Centennial but certainly am willing to do a 30-40 minute commute if need be. Stapleton looks good to me (despite the distance), but does anyone have any experience with the schools being at capacity/overcrowded? Other neighborhood schools I've noticed so far include Challenge and Corey, but I'm pretty clueless. Looking for a walkable neighborhood, a school where my boisterous, athletic and not-always-schoolwork-focused kid will thrive, and would love some diversity.

Your experiences?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default ¿Quanto Dinero?

How much for rent/purchase?
Desired attributes in neighborhood?
What is YOUR definition of diversity?
Do you have a minimum WalkScoreâ„¢ in mind?
What is the address of your new workplace in Centennial? Centennial is huge.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Challenge is an excellent k-8 school. My husband used to teach Math there. You can live anywhere in the Cherry Creek District, and are responsible for getting your kid to school. I understand they have a long waiting list, though. I think they take applications in January for the next school year.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
How much for rent/purchase?
Desired attributes in neighborhood?
What is YOUR definition of diversity?
Do you have a minimum WalkScoreâ„¢ in mind?
What is the address of your new workplace in Centennial? Centennial is huge.
$1500 for rent. Neighborhood with lots of kids, sociable neighbors. We're moving from the east coast and will know almost no one except my colleagues, so want a neighborhood that's friendly. WalkScore -- not sure of the number -- ideal would be 85, but I'd take 65, I guess. I'd love to be able to walk/bike to stores, coffee shops, library, parks/trails.

My definition of diversity is not 95% white suburbia. We're a mixed-race family (white/African American).

Address of my new workplace is Dry Creek Rd., right off of the highway (I-25? I forget -- major north-south freeway into the city).

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default You are in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerosie View Post
My definition of diversity is not 95% white suburbia. We're a mixed-race family (white/African American).
1. Denver (City and County) is 9% black. Aurora is 10% black.
2. Colorado is 4% (on a good day, with a strong tailwind) black.
3. The schools in majority black neighborhoods suck. For example, Montbello in Denver.
4. Blacks have been fleeing traditional inner-city neighborhoods and spreading out into the suburbs.

Cory is a very good elementary school. And, white (13 blacks of 400 students).
Colorado School Grades
Cory Elementary School in Denver, CO - Public Schools

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Denver (City and County) is 9% black. Aurora is 10% black.
2. Colorado is 4% (on a good day, with a strong tailwind) black.
3. The schools in majority black neighborhoods suck. For example, Montbello in Denver.
4. Blacks have been fleeing traditional inner-city neighborhoods and spreading out into the suburbs.

Cory is a very good elementary school. And, white (13 blacks of 400 students).
Colorado School Grades
Cory Elementary School in Denver, CO - Public Schools

Are there walkable suburbs? And good schools matter the most, followed by a friendly, walkable neighborhood. We're coming from NH, by the way -- not exactly a bastion of diversity, but a nice place all the same.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applerosie View Post
Are there walkable suburbs? And good schools matter the most, followed by a friendly, walkable neighborhood. We're coming from NH, by the way -- not exactly a bastion of diversity, but a nice place all the same.
Most of Colorado's growth came after 1960, which means that most of the areas are not very walkable by East Coast standards.

If your son is not academically driven, then most of the academically-focused charter schools in the city of Denver (or anywhere else) may not be for him.

The most walkable suburb with good schools would be the city of Littleton (Littleton Public Schools).

Parts of Centennial (Cherry Creek Schools) would also be considered walkable. Stick to the areas around major intersections like Quebec and Arapahoe, Quebec and County Line or near the Denver Tech Center.

There is not a lot of diversity anywhere in the suburbs.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
What is your definition of a "good school"? I agree with davidv that the Challenge School is not a good fit for a child who is "not always school work focused". Choicing in to most popular schools at this point in time is going to be difficult, if not impossible so you're going to need to choose the school and then the neighborhood.

Walkable southern suburbs include, Littleton and Englewood. Littleton has the better schools of the two although Englewood does have an elementary school which has a very positive reputation from parents and community members alike (Charles Hay) and a good middle school (Englewood Leadership Academy). Both suburbs are walkable assuming you live near their downtown areas and both are on light rail. If you wanted to live in Centennial you could live near "The Streets of Southglenn" (Arapahoe/University) which is a new development but one with tons of things to walk to, including a library, movie theatre, groceries and restaurants. Commuting to and from Stapleton everyday doesn't make much sense to me considering there are plenty of options much closer to your job in Centennial.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks, Dorthy. My son is extremely smart -- he just likes to play. He needs a school that will engage and challenge him. I definitely want a neighborhood school; where we are, our school is about nine miles away (very, very rural). We love the school but at this point he really needs a neighborhood with other kids, maybe the option of walking or biking to school. (And after living in the country for a dozen years, which although magical is isolated, we want a sociable neighborhood, too!)

I would love to hear from parents who have sent kids to Littleton, Englewood and Stapleton schools. I've also heard (another commute) that Congress Park is nice?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Another question regarding your rental budget. In some areas your budget would get you a small 2BD apt and in others, a house or townhouse. What are your expections regarding your new home? Is an apt. ok or are you looking for a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver