Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 11,230 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Portland, Oregon for the past 5 years and am getting very tired of the dreary weather (hardly any sun so far in June!), hyperliberal politics (high water bills that fund politicians' boondoggles), and hipsters (the show "Portlandia" says it all). The cost of living is high, there's a very high income tax here (but no sales tax), and the schools are poor and going downill.

I'm trying to convince my husband to find a new place to live and raise our kids, but he is resisting because he's from the Pacific Northwest and doesn't want to uproot our family. Plus, it would be hard to find jobs in our field in Denver (law). If anyone out there has any experience with both PDX and Denver, do you think Denver is any better? I'm most concerned about my kids' education/quality of life than anything else. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Hmmm...I was wondering what Portland was like. I am probably not qualified to speak on what Denver is like since I've only visited. However, our visit turned into an awesome week!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
A search of this forum for Portland threads:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=37506876

Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Denver doesn't have the specific characteristics you dislike in Portland. But it may have just as many, or even more, characteristics you dislike. You're sick of Portland...fine. But is Denver right for you? That's the question you need to explore.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
I dont think you will find the education better, but yeah a lot more sun indeed. Disclamer, what I know about Portland comes from mostly a decade ago and from the Washington side of the river. I always thought people who lived and worked in the suburbs in WA had the best of all worlds as they get no income tax and then no sales tax when they go into Oregon. Plus they can occasionally get the amenities of Portland without having to be a hipster 24/7 and having to eat 3 meals a day off a food truck. I could be wrong.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Then move to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post
I'm most concerned about my kids' education/quality of life than anything else.
The answer is Weston, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trust me on this.
My parents live next in the ghetto that is Wayland.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM

208 posts, read 419,050 times
Denver is a desert. Chicago is 30 degrees cooler right now. Summer is ruined if this keeps up...

Move to chicago or SF, better climate for you than here,imo

Everyone in denver looks homeless their skin looks so bad, very dry here.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM

41 posts, read 85,114 times
I can't comment at the job situation here, as I'm a stay at home mom. There's plenty of excellent schools in Denver and the suburbs, and Denver/Colorado is a beautiful place. I've lived in Chicago, too, but they have a horrible winter, many cloudy days and there's no natural beauty, which you're used to in the Pacific Northwest. I suggest you take a trip out here and see how you feel about the area. It's a great place, as long as you don't mind the winters.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
If you main concern is "...my kids' education/quality of life than anything else..." then I do not think you have anything that is a concern about Portland in thinking that Denver would be a better place. So, Portland is "hyperliberal" as you say, why is that a problem for education of your kids. Those type of professional educated people tend to demand better education for their children. They advocate for more extensive public transit; they are concerned about the environment. All these leads to an improved quality of life for your children.

OK, these people may be arrogant and have that pedantic personality of narcissistic self importance. They tend to follow group think of the liberal mindset and didactically lecture those who they consider not their equals--which is everybody who does not dress, eat or behave like their flock of phonies. Yet, it is that so irritating that these annoyances cannot be tolerated so as to keep in mind what you have said, that your children's welfare is what is most important in your life.

Perhaps you spend too much time in obsessively seeing and knitting offenses in your mind as the Madame Defarge of that name; and are too ready to drop the guillotine and cut off the beneficial influences around you, which you will not find in such abundance in Denver.

Livecontent

Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
With the exception of the weather, moving to Lake Oswego and, if necessary, doing the short commute to Portland for your jobs would solve your problems.

No matter where you live, somehow or other, you have to pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver