Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times

Advertisements

Why is it surprisingly hard to find one story ranch homes in the Denver area? Particularly in the south/southeast metro? I know they exist, but they are so rare it seems, especially in any neighborhood built within the last 30 years. It seems like almost everything is either 2 stories or these tri-level/ split-level homes, which I hate with a passion.

This is an example of the kind of home I'm talking about (not necessarily that big, but a similar shape & layout):

I've seen some neighborhoods in SE Denver, such as Southmoor, Tamarac, Hampden Heights, etc that have these, except the homes are all in the $300s-$600s. I'm trying to find something for under $250k absolute max. I would consider Aurora, but I don't know of many places in Aurora with homes like these.

And does EVERY home in the Denver area have a basement? I know it sounds weird, but I have a phobia of basements-- would rather not have one.

Am I just looking in the wrong places or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 PM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times
My neighborhood has one-story brick ranch homes possibly in your price range. I'd take a look around Holly/Kentucky in Denver.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
I saw some in older parts of HR(almost bought one at $215k that needed minimal work a few years back). As far as basements, newer homes seem to be the only ones I saw in that price range without them in the SE burbs(newer parts of HR, Parker, etc), as it's an add-on nowadays(not sure what it was back 20+ years ago, but went through dozens of homes and the only ones I saw without basements were built since 00).

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
You won't find many (any?) brick ranches in SE Denver in your price range. Here are other options:

The University Hills neighborhood is mostly ranches, but they are mostly siding.

Old Englewood has many older homes that are like the ranches in U Hills.

One builder in the 1950s-60s (Hutchinson) built brick ranch houses, but almost all of them have basements. They are basically the same home, but in SE Denver they are expensive. In SW Denver, the same houses sell for $100-150k less in Harvey Park and Harvey Park South.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Why is it surprisingly hard to find one story ranch homes in the Denver area? Particularly in the south/southeast metro? I know they exist, but they are so rare it seems, especially in any neighborhood built within the last 30 years. It seems like almost everything is either 2 stories or these tri-level/ split-level homes, which I hate with a passion.

You are looking in the wrong places. The house in your picture is a 1960s house. They were typically constructed 30 to 60 years ago. So you are not likely to find them in neighborhoods built in the last 30 years. Try the older suburbs. SE Denver, SW Denver, Littleton, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, and Lakewood all have tons of them.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 06-26-2012 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
It is much better to have a basement. It keeps the house cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It also is a refuge on very hot days as it is always cooler. In many cases it allows you to more easily get to your waste, water and electrical lines for repair and modifications. It is also a place to go for safety when severe weather strikes. In times of power outages in severe winter days, you can go to the basement and it will be cold, but you can survive because a basement will not freeze--without a basement you would have to seek shelter somewhere else. Some homes without basements are built on a concrete slab, without a sufficient footing, which can potentially shift and crack.

There are many more ranches in the older parts of the regions because without air conditioning they are more comfortable. Also, many were satisfied with smaller homes even with larger families. As time went on, lots stayed the same size or got smaller and people wanted larger homes and had smaller families, so the only way was up.

If I could afford it, I would buy a big sprawling ranch in many of the exclusive areas in Applewood or Bow Mar, at the extreme south end of Sheridan Blvd. There are many small economy ranches but you can find expansive ranches that were considered great housing that were built in the 1960s on many hidden roads all over. There are many in Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and Arvada that are still considered exclusive areas to live. Some are hidden behind older areas of West Colfax, for example that you would never expect to find such fine housing.

They are easy to find. Just go the recolordo.com. Load a selection of single family detached and set a keyword of ranch in the remarks. I have just looked at Arvada and there is a big selection of ranches with many new ones in newer developments.

A few weeks ago I had an event to go see a relative skate at the South Suburban Ice Arena. As I usually do, I take side streets just to explore. There are many ranch homes in the Centennial near Arapahoe and University, in the area around the Streets of SouthGlenn, the new urbanist shopping. There are certainly many good example so ranches in the city of Littleton, in the older areas west of Broadway.

I do not see why you say it is so hard to find ranches in your southeast stomping grounds. There are not many in your price range but this seems to be of good quality. Here is one off Smoking Hill Road. This is not my type of neighborhood, as I do not like bland suburban areas but it may appeal to you
http://www.recolorado.com/homes-for-...75404045/popup

Also why is that you want to stay in the Southeast area. Is it because of your job or are you just feel more comfortable with the familiarity of your childhood environment. The western suburbs offers so much more. In addition, Denver is the area around South University, South Colorado, Yale and all those good neighborhoods around Denver University are best for a single, young, highly educated professional like yourself where you can meet a single, young, highly educated professional like yourself. That person will then make all the decisions and you would have nothing to say or worry about for any future purchase of a home.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-26-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
By definition all ranch homes are one level... otherwise they'd be called a bi, tri, raised ranch or two story...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
My first house was just like your picture. Perfect house for me. Good luck, I hope you find one.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The only place I can think of in Aurora would be Aurora Hills. As you know, I once lived there, but it may not be your style.

Do a search for homes built between 1960-1975, and select single story, and see what you find.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
There are 52 available brick ranches in SE Denver, south Aurora, Englewood & Centennial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver