Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times

Advertisements

Colorado is a state of more transplants than natives I would bet at this point. They probably care more about the team they grew up with san less of the local team. Its something that drives me crazy in So Cal. You go to a Boston Angels game in Anaheim and theres more RedSox fans, same can be said for most alot of visiting teams in other sports. The Redwings have a home game no matter where they are.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
Colorado is a state of more transplants than natives I would bet at this point. They probably care more about the team they grew up with san less of the local team. Its something that drives me crazy in So Cal. You go to a Boston Angels game in Anaheim and theres more RedSox fans, same can be said for most alot of visiting teams in other sports. The Redwings have a home game no matter where they are.
You are definitely incorrect on this point. Local teams are definitely supported first and foremost. And the # of transplants greatly depends on which age bracket you're talking about-- obviously, the older the age bracket, the less likely they've grown up in Colorado. It also depends exactly where you're talking about-- new built suburbia like Highlands Ranch is more likely to have transplants.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
I've only been to Padres and Rockies games in both cities. I've seen more visitor team jerseys in San Diego than at Coors Field. I think there are more transplants there than Denver and the San Diego fans are more laid back, kinda a SoCal thing. Maybe fans will use any excuse to visit San Diego, especially in the winter for football games. I do like going to Coors Field, usually when the Padres are in town, but until this past 2 weeks there hasn't been much 'Rockie buzz'. Now it's all over the place.
3 games left.....Go Padres

Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
Its something that drives me crazy in So Cal. You go to a Boston Angels game in Anaheim and theres more RedSox fans, same can be said for most alot of visiting teams in other sports.
Almost as bad as being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the 405 on a Sunday afternoon behind this guy with his I LOVE NY Sticker.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 AM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
It's really easy for me to set the Broncos aside and watch the Rockies try to close this thing out. Growing up in LA as a kid I was a pretty serious Dodger fan and went to quite a few games. I knew all of the players' names on the roster at the time and what order they played and what position. I knew the son of one of the Dodgers as he lived by Mason Park there in Chatsworth; Reggie Smith. He was a lefty catcher (the son). I can recall Lee Lacy, Dusty Baker, Manny Motta, Davey Lopes, Bill Buchner (the infamous), Ron Cey, Steve Garvey (jerk), Bill Russell, Steve Howe (??), Reggie Smith, ..., and Tommy Lasorda! Close enough?

My dad and I used to have to stay up till after 10:30 on a weekday just to watch the Dodgers get beat by the Yanks.

Once the Rockies came aboard in 93, it was pretty exciting. I think it was EY that hit a homerun against the Expos in the Rockies home opener at Mile High Stadium. They may have not contended for the division that year, but it was just nice to have baseball in Denver. I used to have my 65' Buick Special Convertible parked in the garage when I lived in Littleton and I'd go out there to tinker on that car just so I could turn on the AM only radio and listen to the game right out there. I think this car needs new shocks.

The Rockies haven't made too much noise since they upset or almost upset the Atlanta Braves in like their only playoff appearance (that I can recall anyway). I watched the team go through different coaches and get rid of players like Dante, the Cat, Walt Weiss (that dude could ALWAYS get a base hit), Eric Young, Girardi, Charlie Hayes, Ellis Burks, Castilla (tried to give him a place to retire though). Enter Larry Walker. I liked seeing that guy go onto St. Louis and try to end his career on a good note. He deserved it.

Now this Rockie team here, what can you say? They're trying to do the near impossible and it's starting to look pretty doable. They just have to be perfect and not lose a game, one game at a time and hope that a couple of other teams stumble along the way-which they're not. I'm of the school that the Rockies have already done something incredible. They're 15 over .500! They matter in late September! The beat the damn Dodgers! They whooped up on the Padres! They may have a chance to get redemption on the Phillies. Wouldn't that be nice. If we play them again, let's go head-hunting. Recognize!

Sorry for the rant! You asked for it! I was driving to work about a couple of weeks ago and I put the radio onto 1350 (Satelite FOX here in Pueblo) and I was just not in the mood for James Washington, J DUB!!!!!!! So I went over to 850 and they were saying, "The Rockies are NOT mathmatically out of it yet. They just have to win 13 of their last 14 or maybe all 14. They just have to win one game at a time blah blah blah", then I went CLICK! and switched it over to Metallica!

Well what do ya know? It's happening. Who wants to play the Rockies now? Not the Yankees! The Red Socks! Hopefully we can stomp some snake. We'll do the Tube Snake Boogie-Barbeque. http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/mcgowdog/meatwad1.gif (broken link)

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-28-2007 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: knew all of the players' NAMES, not all the players! Duh.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I knew the son of one of the Dodgers as he lived by Mason Park there in Chatsworth; Reggie Smith. He was a lefty catcher (the son). I can recall Lee Lacy, Dusty Baker, Manny Motta, Davey Lopes, Bill Buchner (the infamous), Ron Cey, Steve Garvey (jerk), Bill Russell, Steve Howe (??), Reggie Smith, ..., and Tommy Lasorda! Close enough?

My dad and I used to have to stay up till after 10:30 on a weekday just to watch the Dodgers get beat by the Yanks.
When was this? Interleague play started in 1997. Otherwise the only time they would have played was in the World Series and those games normally start around 5 or 6 Pacific.

Did you mean the [spit] Mets [spit]?

Garvey and Don Sutton got in a clubhouse fight in the late 1970s or early 1980s and lived a couple of doors down from each other in Calabasas Park. Ron Cey still lives in Moorpark - saw him at the Moorpark Melodrama about ten or so years ago.

I think the only 4 X 40 HR club is Smith, Garvey, Cey, and Baker.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
This is a serious question. I am just curious and not trying to put anyone down at all. From what I know Denver is a good pro sports town I am just curious as to what most people think about MLB there.

With the recent winning streak of the Rockies that now has them right in the middle of the race for the playoffs, is there any talk around town about them or is it still just dominated by the Broncos no matter what the Rockies do?

I know this is obviously a NFL town, and one of the best out there. The Broncos always have been and always will be #1 in Denver. I'm just wondering if MLB even matters to many people. As an outsider, I get the impression that MLB is just not very popular in Denver even with a winning team. Is that the case? Is it just not a very good baseball area or do I just have the wrong impression? Are the Rockies as popular as the Avalanche?
Well it would sure help if they were TELEVISED south of Denver!!!! If you are forced to watch the Springs station you dont get Rockies games. Its like they dont exist!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When was this? Interleague play started in 1997. Otherwise the only time they would have played was in the World Series and those games normally start around 5 or 6 Pacific.

Did you mean the [spit] Mets [spit]?

Garvey and Don Sutton got in a clubhouse fight in the late 1970s or early 1980s and lived a couple of doors down from each other in Calabasas Park. Ron Cey still lives in Moorpark - saw him at the Moorpark Melodrama about ten or so years ago.

I think the only 4 X 40 HR club is Smith, Garvey, Cey, and Baker.
It was the world series back in about 1976. The late night games must have been for the division series and for the pennant or something.

Sutton! He clocked Garvey right in the face and turned his eye red! That was great. He was probably telling Garvey to stop hitting on his mom and his sister!

PS: MorningGlory, you gotta go to channel 645. If you don't get that channel, you gotta call 1-800-DIRECTV.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It was the world series back in about 1976. The late night games must have been for the division series and for the pennant or something.

Sutton! He clocked Garvey right in the face and turned his eye red! That was great. He was probably telling Garvey to stop hitting on his mom and his sister!

PS: MorningGlory, you gotta go to channel 645. If you don't get that channel, you gotta call 1-800-DIRECTV.
Dodgers Yankees World Series were 77 & 78 & 81, but still they wouldn't have been on at 1030 in LA (that is 1:30AM east coast time) unless something like extra innings or rain delay. Maybe there was, I forgot, I was buzzed...uhh I mean tired. I remember those series' though.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM

The late games must have been games leading up to the World Series. I don't know. I was 9 at the time. I couldn't handle my beer very good back then; not for an Irishman anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver