Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,877 times

Advertisements

We are a couple with young kids planning to relocate to Denver this fall. We currently live in a walkable neighborhood in Arlington, VA and would like to find a similar neighborhood in Denver. We are considering Washington Park, Hilltop (the western portion walkable to Cherry Creek and the new Trader Joes, etc), Congress Park (the part south of 8th Ave in Bromwell and Steck school districts), and Country Club North (although have some concerns about the portion in Dora Moore elementary district). Are these good neighborhoods for raising a family? I would like to be in a safe area where there would likely be some other playmates in our neighborhood. These all seem walkable on a map, but I am curious about the different character/vibe of each of these. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default All of the above

1. You just named 4 of the MOST desirable neighborhoods in the City & County of Denver.
2. You should look at Belcaro and the western part of it: Bonnie Brae. The elementary school is Cory.
3. You should also consider Observatory Park. The elementary school is University.
4. You need to visit these places in person. Make your own "measurements" about walkability.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I will look at those areas too.

I have found several homes that I like in the Country Club North area. Does anyone have any information on Dora Moore elementary? It doesn't seem to have high test scores. Is the school improving as more families choose to move to the city?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Default Look east

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdenverrelocation View Post
...like in the Country Club North...Dora Moore elementary
Look east in the Bromwell school district. Pay attention to the school's boundaries as you must live inside.
Also consider Steck Elementary.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Look east in the Bromwell school district. Pay attention to the school's boundaries as you must live inside.
Also consider Steck Elementary.
Warning though, a house in those school boundaries will be very expensive...I've seen 450-600k fixer uppers...

Teller Elementary is also nice. Teller is much more class and racially diverse than Bromwell or Steck (which are basically upper class only schools).

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the info. We would like to buy a house where we can stay. Steck gets good reviews, but how are Hill middle and George Washington high? Would Morey and East in the Bromwell district be much better? I was looking at Dora Moore because it is in the Morey and East district, but maybe I should limit my search to the Bromwell area.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We would like to buy a house where we can stay. Steck gets good reviews, but how are Hill middle and George Washington high? Would Morey and East in the Bromwell district be much better? I was looking at Dora Moore because it is in the Morey and East district, but maybe I should limit my search to the Bromwell area.
Middle schools are terrible here, but East High is good.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Default Morey is getting better

Quote:
Would Morey and East in the Bromwell district be much better?
I personally know 2 kids who just finished their first year at Morey after 5+ years at Bromwell. Both children and the two sets of parents are quite happy.
One kid is in the smart kids track.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
All of Denver is walkable. Base your location on something else.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM

88 posts, read 168,838 times
I agree with JBPisgah. Find other factors beside walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: