Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 10,678 times

Advertisements

Hi! This is pretty last minute but I found some great advice on this site before so thought to give it a go. I'm at the airport RIGHT NOW to fly into your beautiful city. This weekend is my recon mission in hopes to move there in a few months.
Can anyone lend advice for a single 31 yr female looking to really soak up the vibe and people of Denver for 2 nights? Bars, restaurants, trendy places. I get in at 7 tonight so quick advice would be great, otherwise it's all on tomorrow through Sunday eve.
Also, neighborhoods I may find more appealing for my age group for my move-to Denver recon mission. So far I'm told Washington Park is my best bet.

About me, currently live in Seattle, a few years in San Diego as well, loved living close to downtown in both. A friend told me certain areas are more the hipster type crowds or hippies- that's not really me.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,683 times
Recommend linger in Lower Highland for drinks/dinner at their bar with a view of the skyline..very trendy. There are several other places around there too, and great ice cream at Little Man next door. 16th & Boulder just west of downtown.

Walk around Lodo, tons of bars and restaurants. 16th Street downtown is full of restaurants and shopping and you can walk up and down it from Lodo.

Definitely check out Wash Park, also Capitol Hill and Congress Park. Cherry Creek is a fun trendy area north of the mall. Platte Park is another great neighborhood south of I-25. Go to Pearl St. between Louisiana and Iowa...Sushi Den is a great place (always a wait to get in) and there is a nice mix of local shops and restaurants.

The breweries are always fun, especially when it's cool and rainy like this weekend will be. Great Divide downtown, Avery in Boulder, New Belgium/Odell in Fort Collins, even Coors in Golden.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
The Highlands.
Both West Highland and Highland.
Wash Park does not have much.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Wow! Thanks! Lots of good recommendations! It will be a busy weekend!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
If the main goal is to explore the central areas, I would rent a bike at one of the many "Denver B-Cycle" stations around. Include a brief ride on the Cherry Creek trail. The part that goes through central Denver from Colorado Blvd to Confluence Park is pretty ugly actually, but it's a good way to shoot between downtown and the Cherry Creek mall area. It will also give you a good idea of what the local bike culture is like.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Cherry Creek Arts festival is this weekend.

BTW, the weather this weekend is VERY atypical, but a welcome change.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 AM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
So you've decided to move to Denver but have no idea of the vibe, people, or neighborhoods? What are you trying to accomplish on this trip?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM

JBPisgah- Denver is just one of my top cities I have been thinking of moving to. I didn't want to jump the gun until I've come and visited. Like I said I am here to check out the vibe of the city, and the neighborhoods.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I had a great Friday night and plan on grabbing one of those bikes today. It's already been an amazing trip!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,629 times
I would love to get an update on this! I'm in the same position, heading out to Denver next weekend to scope it out as far as a possible future place to call home. Similar age/sex and interests. What areas did you like best? Any bars/restaurants/coffee shops, etc. that were favorites?? Was the bike rental worth the time?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhuman View Post
I would love to get an update on this! I'm in the same position, heading out to Denver next weekend to scope it out as far as a possible future place to call home. Similar age/sex and interests. What areas did you like best? Any bars/restaurants/coffee shops, etc. that were favorites?? Was the bike rental worth the time?

I had a great weekend there! Some bars I can recommend were Corridor 44. That is a champagne bar in the Larimar area. Then I followed the advice of one of the responses and went to Linger in the lower highlands. That was fun and really packed by 8pm. I met some great people there too. Denver has the nicest people I have ever encountered. From there I checked out the LoDO area and a bar called Gaslamp. Another good one and as it got later it became packed as well.

As for the bike, I ended up opting out unfortunately. I had some abnormal wet weather while I visited and I didn't want to scare anyone with how frizzy-big my hair can get ;-)

Hope that helps and you have as much fun as I did. I already have a countdown of 81 days and I will be moving there!!

feel free to email me if you have any other questions too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver