U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM

14 posts, read 31,812 times

Advertisements

We are moving shortly and I am so confused as to which area we should search within Colorado. We like Boulder, but cannot afford to live there, and with kids we are also concerned with a good school district and a great place to stay for a long time- raise kids and live in a quiet and safe area.

I like Louisville, and it's also within Boulder County Schools, but you don't get as much for your money as you seem to in Highlands Ranch or other areas south of Denver. Plus, Cherry Creek Schools seem to be good to get into. I like the larger homes, and close proximity of things to do there.

We are looking for a home that is not a fixer upper, somewhat new and in an area great for kids, shopping, culture, nature, good schools. Quiet and safe, but not in the middle of nowhere! I like to be close to shopping and things to do.

I know Highlands Ranch is nothing like Louisville, hense the confusion!
We work from home, so commuting is no issue.

Any Advice? We are searching now, but seem to be all over the map...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM

I should also say we've looked at Littleton and it's nice as well.
Better than Louisville?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM

90,352 posts, read 113,612,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdcolorado View Post
We are moving shortly and I am so confused as to which area we should search within Colorado. We like Boulder, but cannot afford to live there, and with kids we are also concerned with a good school district and a great place to stay for a long time- raise kids and live in a quiet and safe area.

I like Louisville, and it's also within Boulder County Schools, but you don't get as much for your money as you seem to in Highlands Ranch or other areas south of Denver. Plus, Cherry Creek Schools seem to be good to get into. I like the larger homes, and close proximity of things to do there.

We are looking for a home that is not a fixer upper, somewhat new and in an area great for kids, shopping, culture, nature, good schools. Quiet and safe, but not in the middle of nowhere! I like to be close to shopping and things to do.

I know Highlands Ranch is nothing like Louisville, hense the confusion!
We work from home, so commuting is no issue.

Any Advice? We are searching now, but seem to be all over the map...
Quote:
I should also say we've looked at Littleton and it's nice as well.
Better than Louisville?
Well, you've got your school districts mixed up a bit. Louisville is in the Boulder Valley School District. This district is not all of Boulder County, basically the southern half (roughly) a piece of Gilpin County and Broomfield County west of Sheridan Blvd. Confusing? Try their website Boulder Valley School District

Highlands Ranch is not in the Cherry Creek SD; it is in Douglas County SD. https://www.dcsdk12.org/

There is also a Littleton School District, Littleton Public Schools - LPS

There is nothing in metro Denver that would be considered "middle of nowhere."

Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,725,755 times
Littleton is big if you count the unincorporated areas. Highlands Ranch is a planned community and is pretty popular for families with kids.

Where is your job? That's like the most important thing in picking a location, you wouldn't want to live in Highlands Ranch if your job is in Louisville or vice versa

Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM

We work from home, so we don't have to worry about commuting. I just wanted to know the big differences as to why the prices are so much higher in Louisville than in the southern suburbs?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Basically, where in your opinion, is the better area to raise kids for safety, convenience to nature, and community environment?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,725,755 times
Quote:
We work from home, so we don't have to worry about commuting. I just wanted to know the big differences as to why the prices are so much higher in Louisville than in the southern suburbs?
The closer you get to Boulder the more expensive it gets

A lot of it is personal preference, a lot of the areas you mentioned are all nice. You really should come out for a visit, drive around and get an idea of what you like the most

Once you narrow down areas you can research schools and all that kinda stuff online

Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,401,249 times
Have you been to the area? I ask because you say your moving shortly.

Have you visited the areas your asking about? Basically I think they are all fine with respect to safety, convenience to nature and community environment. It will come down to the vibe you get from a particular area. Which one says 'home' to you. If you haven't been here you might just say "none of the above, the Denver area is a big brown desert wasteland". People do have that reaction some times. You also might not like the dry air, intense sunshine (like painfully intense) and the altitude may give you a headache.

Or you might say this place is so cool! I love the mountains, the city amenities so close, the trail system, the rec centers, the parks etc.

Your criteria of "...not a fixer upper, somewhat new and in an area great for kids, shopping, culture, nature, good schools" is too wide of a net for the greater Denver. Too many areas fit the description.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM

32 posts, read 84,458 times
hi, we live in highlands ranch and love it here!!! we moved 3 years ago from nj. there is soooo much for kids to do here and the schools are excellent!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 16,848 times
My wife and I just moved to the city of Littleton. Not the area surrounding it that has a littleton address. We love that lightrail is less than a mile away in downtown. The downtown is authentic as its been there since the late 1800s. We like that we can get around easy and the school district Littleton Public is one of the most overlooked in the state. It has great reviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>