Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 21,052 times

Advertisements

I have a hopefully not too tall order. My family of 3 (1 sm child) are relocating to the Denver or boulder area. Looking for a 2 bdrm apartment/house/condo for rent under $1000 (preferably closer to $850 mark but max $1000). Need safe, clean place without paper thin walls. Also would prefer some diversity among the other tenants. We are a biracial family and would prefer diversity. Close to grocery/shopping would be great as well. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
You need to give us more details about where your job is?
"Denver or Boulder" is a hug swath of land.
Boulder is white. See the census data.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM

My apologies. I work from home w/ my current company so commuting is no issue!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 AM

I also reviewed census data, which I why I have posted hoping the friendly people of co could help my locate a perfect place for my family to fit in and be happy and just reviewing data didn't help me much in locating the type of info I was looking for. Personal suggestions of good places for us to look into. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM

88 posts, read 168,786 times
Herewego123,

Check out this map. This is older data but it puts the information into a map to make it easier to read. Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com.

If your looking for diversity I would stay away from Boulder. Can you share with us some more info so we can better help you? You want to be near the mountains is that why you like Boulder? What do you like to do with your spare time?

Try Padmapper.com for available rentals.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Just a heads up your rent is really low for the area. I was thinking maybe you could find something in Thornton but your rent doesn't get you into the nicer areas. However, there were two places but they might be a little depressing, depending on where your coming from.

9922 Lane St, Thornton, CO 80260 - Zillow

1901 W 101st Ave, Thornton, CO 80260 - Zillow

This place in Northglenn may be more acceptable but your upper end is bouncing up against their lowest rent so there is a chance they will raise the rent beyond your means after the first year.
The Registry, The Churchill Floor Plan - Zillow

Diversity is hit or miss. Chances are your family will be the diversity but Denver is an educated place and most people welcome diversity. In terms of safe, clean and not paper thin walls you'll have to read reviews and perhaps talk to residents when you visit the complexes. The cheaper places are that way for a reason so you'll have to find out why they are so cheap and decide if that aspect is something your OK with.

I'm curious as to why your choosing Denver/Boulder if you work from home. The answer may help folks direct you in your quest for a place to live. I moved from San Francisco because I couldn't afford to buy a nice house in the bay area. Although I love San Diego I didn't choose to move there because the housing was more expensive. Denver was some place I could get into the mid-range housing. But for your rental limit in the area your not going to get into the mid-range housing. If you don't have employment in the area you may want to look to lower cost of living areas to give your family the type of lifestyle you want.

Since I moved here from San Francisco I was used to living in a more diverse area. It was kind of a shock to see all the white people here. It took a couple of years before I got used to seeing them. Eventually I did but I do miss many aspects of having a more diverse population and I've been here for 17 yrs.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Thank you! I am now completely rethinking if this is even a good idea for us. I grew up in Nebraska and have spent time in CO nearly every year of my life. I love it and have a special place in my heart for Estes Park. We currently live is SC when is more even in terms of diversity. I have lived in Tampa, NYC, small town NE, and of course SC. We are looking for some place different than where we are now and we all love CO. But perhaps it's just not a great fit for our family other than visiting. We need some place with a good school system for our son, SC just doesn't cut it in that area. The increase after the 1st yr would be fine as we would likely have a higher budget after we get settled. I just don't want to over extend us in the 1st year as I'm sure it will be an adjustment as is and would like for us to be able to get out and see/ do all the things the area has to offer.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 AM

How is the Thornton area? Looks like we will need to up he rent budget and found lambertson farms that had some good reviews and seems doable price wise. Is the Thornton area safe, decent area?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Thornton itself has some very nice amenities but most cities here do. I don't think there is anything wrong with this area. It is not one I would have directed someone to but I'm really only familiar with the stores in this area, not how it would be to live there.

I pulled a crime report on the area. It has a fair smattering of sex offenders (very typical for low-mid income areas) but I didn't see active crime. I searched back 6 months with nothing appearing so I would say it is safe and decent. It seems once you get homes over about $300K-$400K the number of sex offenders tends to fall off. The homes in this area appear to be mostly in the $100K-$200K range with only the one across the water feature from the apartment complex in the $200s. Also Lambertson Farms itself did not show any sex offenders so hopefully they have good tenant screening. The development appears to be behind a shopping center that has a King Sooper. It is a great grocery store. A little ways up on Washington St. is a Vitamin Cottage which is the most affordable health food grocery store in the area so that is a big plus. But it is not walking distance. From Google map it appears to have a nice water feature behind it. It might be a good jumping off point while you learn the area.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Thank you much for your help and time! Great info!! This one has made it to the list. You make a good point, the location may be less than perfect but appears to be decent place that can fit in our budget. Once we are settled and both have jobs (only mine transfers) we can look for a better location with a better budget. I'm just not willing to get a place based on two incomes counting on a job right away for him. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver