Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 5,496 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input! Very much appreciated! Some of this stuff may seem a bit off, but it's true and I have the paperwork here to prove it. I may scan a few copies of this stuff and share it here so you can see that I am not lying, or being dishonest.

The car theft via a towing company was a really nice one. The story behind that is insane. In the end, I finally won my case and the company was supposed to send me a letter of apology and return my money, but the day I was supposed to receive my payment the owner of the company died. The luck I have run into is so unbelievable! I still have the letter from the DA somewhere that basically told me the guy died and I will not be paid as the company folded. This scam was also covered on 60 minutes and is popular with towing companies in a lot of major cities.

I'll see if I can find some of this paperwork on the parking scams I fell victim to when I get home. The letter of the guy dieing has definitely got to be a rare one.

Plate theft is becoming more common. My company van had its plates stolen last year right outside my building. I have my new plates taped inside the windows in the van now. I don't know of any other way to keep my plates. People also always try to take gas out of the vehicles too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Some people are such complainers. I lived in various places in Denver for more than 2 decades (I know I'm in NYC now, but Denver is home and I've been away less than a year), drove and parked on meter and or time/permit regulated streets in Cherry Creek, downtown, etc thousand of times, and I only received 3 tickets in all that time - all of which were my fault. Despite that, each time I took 15 minutes to visit the parking magistrate, who every time cut the fine in half.

Stop blaming other people for your mistakes.
Nice, thanks! You're right. Car getting stolen, victim to a parking scam, and stolen plates are all my fault. Your city and you are awesome!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,054,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVR1670 View Post
Nice, thanks! You're right. Car getting stolen, victim to a parking scam, and stolen plates are all my fault. Your city and you are awesome!
It's just amazing how some people are always being victimized. You drive in Denver 3 times, and you're a victim each time. Others (including me) drive in Denver thousand upon thousands of times with no problems whatsoever. But hey, maybe you are just that unlucky (which doesn't really speak to Denver, now does it?).

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's just amazing how some people are always being victimized. You drive in Denver 3 times, and you're a victim each time. Others (including me) drive in Denver thousand upon thousands of times with no problems whatsoever. But hey, maybe you are just that unlucky (which doesn't really speak to Denver, now does it?).
You're one of those people which will continue to bash on tourists for their complaints, yet will never do anything to solve the problems of your town. I will no longer visit, so that's 1 tourist down, I'm sure many others will soon come if the issues are not fixed. It also sounds like you may not like tourism in your town either, in that case, you are doing a good job of eliminating it.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You're one of those people which will continue to bash on tourists for their complaints, yet will never do anything to solve the problems of your town. I will no longer visit, so that's 1 tourist down, I'm sure many others will soon come if the issues are not fixed. It also sounds like you may not like tourism in your town either, in that case, you are doing a good job of eliminating it.
I don't bash tourists. I just don't see these problems. These problems seem to be attracted to you while avoiding everybody else.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,984,908 times
That's the thing, nobody else is complaining. You're probably the first person I've ever heard complain about this area for really any reason

All towns have crime and stupid crap that happens, doesn't mean it effects tourism.

The place i'm going in Hawaii next month some people recommend you leave your glove box open and doors unlocked so thieves can see you have nothing to steal without breaking windows/locks

Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
That's the thing, nobody else is complaining. You're probably the first person I've ever heard complain about this area for really any reason

All towns have crime and stupid crap that happens, doesn't mean it effects tourism.

The place i'm going in Hawaii next month some people recommend you leave your glove box open and doors unlocked so thieves can see you have nothing to steal without breaking windows/locks
I don't know about leaving the glove box open, but I was taught to never leave anything in your car. I've never once locked my car, and I've never once had a problem.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM

I don't know why that area has hit me so badly either. I don't have any issues anywhere else and I can't leave a car like mine unlocked. I leave nothing of value in the open and have grown up in places like Naples Italy, so I know how to deter thieves and keep things of value away. I have heard from several other people that they are not too happy with the parking issues downtown, but not too many people will do anything about it. I love what Denver has to offer, but what I have had to go through is too much. I suppose when this last issue is over and done with I'll try to find a few people to send a letter to about my negative experiences, as mentioned previously in this thread. It will probably do nothing, but who knows. All I know is I will never set foot in that area again, which is a shame, because it was always fun before I got back to my car.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know why that area has hit me so badly either. I don't have any issues anywhere else and I can't leave a car like mine unlocked. I leave nothing of value in the open and have grown up in places like Naples Italy, so I know how to deter thieves and keep things of value away. I have heard from several other people that they are not too happy with the parking issues downtown, but not too many people will do anything about it. I love what Denver has to offer, but what I have had to go through is too much. I suppose when this last issue is over and done with I'll try to find a few people to send a letter to about my negative experiences, as mentioned previously in this thread. It will probably do nothing, but who knows. All I know is I will never set foot in that area again, which is a shame, because it was always fun before I got back to my car.
Perhaps you shouldn't be posting in a generally positive, upbeat, helpful forum when you're raging mad at something. Go back and re-read you post - it was very hostile. Among other attacks, you called Denver corrupt and full of rude, unfriendly people. Did you really expect a positive response from the people of Denver when that's how you introduce yourself?

Moving on from your tone, I still have some questions about the substance of your post. About the ticket for a missing front plate you said:

"His ticket was right, I didn't have a front plate, but I didn't know I was missing the front plate as his corrupt town had someone take it."

Are you really accusing the City of Denver of having somebody come take your license plate so that they could write you a $75 ticket? That was you misspeaking in anger, right? And while not completely unbelievable, pieces of your story just sound odd. I've heard of license plates being stolen, but usually at night off cars parking in quiet residential areas. Having them stolen in broad daylight at a busy festival in central Denver seems almost too brazen.

And if both your license plates were stolen, it seems the meter maid would have written two tickets - one for a missing the front plate and one for a missing rear plate. If he only wrote 1 ticket, it seems he was cutting you a break. Not to mention he could probably have had the car towed for being parked on the street with no license plates at all. I take it he was able to read your car's VIN through the windshield? He wrote the ticket using your VIN right (since both plates had be stolen)?

And man do you have bad luck. First trip to Denver, you car gets stolen. On any given day, what, 1 million+ cars are parked at some point, somewhere in Denver and each year about 3,000 of them are stolen. The odds of your car being stolen on a first visit are very, very small. Was your car ever recovered? I'd be curious to hear more about this incident.

Then your second time to Denver you happen into an illegal parking scam and your car gets illegally towed. In 25 years of living in Denver, I don't ever recall hearing of an illegal parking scam (not to say they can't happen). Again, I'm curious to hear about the details of this.

And then the 3rd time your plates get stolen in broad daylight and some revenue generator writes you a ticket for not having plates on your care (as if a Colorado Spring meter maid wouldn't have done the same thing). And to top it all off, your bartender, like most Denverites you encounter, was unfriendly and didn't like you.

Maybe you should think about adopting a car-free lifestyle. And if you think Denver's parking enforcement is bad, for the love of God never come out here to New York City with a car. Of all the big cities I've ever lived or driven in, parking in Denver is the most abundant, cheapest, and laxest in terms of regulation and enforcement.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
These are all whiners with childlike mentalities. It is constant with these people complaining about these tickets. Pay the ticket and stop this sniffling. No one on this forum can help you avoid your responsibilities.

I have been driving for over 47 years and I have never got a parking ticket because I can read and understand the regulations. I am no so drunk and lost. I take time to find a parking space for the time I need. I am not so miserly to try to avoid paying such a minimal amount for parking here in Denver; then go out and suck on a few expensive beers. If you think it is a problem here, try driving in NYC--I have and never got a parking ticket.

The last automobile ticket for any infraction was so many years ago, that is was before any of these slobbery complainers learn to drive.

I get sick and tired of the nonsense that it is the City's fault and I am so innocent--all bull.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver