Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,598 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am moving to Denver late July early Aug to work at Buckley AFB.

I though I had figured out where I wanted to live with Stapleton, but, as I have been talking to a few people working at the base they have told me that I really should not move there. Instead they suggest South East Aurora. This is what I was told
" It's your call but everyone I've asked about Stapleton has said don't do it, that includes some guys that are from CO."
That kinda scares me from the area.

Stapleton seems like a prime location being close to town but not to far from base, lots of parks restaurants closer to city transit and all the fun activities downtown.
To me the main things I would be giving up with Stapleton are yard space(which would be nice to have for the dog) and a bigger house (which I dont really need)

I am looking for a Single family home 2-3 bedrooms for 1800-2000 per month . Its just my Fiance and I plus our 1 dog with no plans for children any time soon.

So I guess what it comes down to is I have never been to Denver before so what is Stapleton like and what is so wrong with it, is it just the shady neighboring areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM

57 posts, read 125,070 times
We are in the process of a building a home in Stapleton right now. We think the neighborhood is great. It has a bit of "cookie-cutter, pleasantville" feel to it, but what new neighborhoods don't? We chose it because my wife is starting school at the UC Denver Anchutz campus, and this is the best option close to there. We also like how its close to downtown, close to I-70 to get out of town, to airport, etc.

If I had to guess why the guys at the base might not like Stapleton, is that they might see it as a bit "uppity". Really the main difference you will see between Stapleton and SE Aurora is price. Both locations are good areas. Stapleton your $1800-2000 is about right (maybe little bit more expensive depending on how much sq/ft you want). SE Aurora you can find the same house for quite a bit cheaper... I would think around $1300-1500.

The neighborhoods surrounding stapleton are definately a 180 from stapleton itself, but they aren't that bad. Stapleton is big enough you wouldn't have to leave it anyways. I wouldn't worry about going in the neighboring areas unless maybe it was my wife by herself late at night.

Stapleton you are going to have ALOT of parks to walk your dog, but no yard. SE Aurora will be the opposite.

Either choice is good...

If you want to be close to downtown, enjoy walking your dog, and don't mind little extra price, pick stapleton.

If you want to save a little money, drive further for entertainment, and let your dog in the backyard, pick SE Aurora.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis.sf View Post
Hi there, I am moving to Denver late July early Aug to work at Buckley AFB.

I though I had figured out where I wanted to live with Stapleton, but, as I have been talking to a few people working at the base they have told me that I really should not move there. Instead they suggest South East Aurora. This is what I was told
" It's your call but everyone I've asked about Stapleton has said don't do it, that includes some guys that are from CO."
That kinda scares me from the area.

Stapleton seems like a prime location being close to town but not to far from base, lots of parks restaurants closer to city transit and all the fun activities downtown.
To me the main things I would be giving up with Stapleton are yard space(which would be nice to have for the dog) and a bigger house (which I dont really need)

I am looking for a Single family home 2-3 bedrooms for 1800-2000 per month . Its just my Fiance and I plus our 1 dog with no plans for children any time soon.

So I guess what it comes down to is I have never been to Denver before so what is Stapleton like and what is so wrong with it, is it just the shady neighboring areas?

Thanks
That just strikes me as very odd that someone would say that about Stapleton. I've lived in Stapleton for 7 years now and have loved it.

I think the main difference between SE Aurora and Stapleton is more of a suburb vs. urban thing. Stapleton is built in a more urban way (new urbanism) with smaller lots, sidewalks, parks, etc. It's much closer to downtown and central Denver and the houses are much less "cookie cutter" and built in mostly very traditional styles (front porch, garage on an alley). In SE Aurora, you'll find more typical suburban styles (beige houses, larger lots, big driveway in front, cul-de-sacs, etc.) So it really boils down to what you want more. Suburban lifestyle where you're 30-45 min. from urban life (downtown) or to be closer in to the city with a smaller lot. Stapleton is also very social and neighbors talk, do things together, etc. You're less likely to get that in the far out 'burbs. If you prefer to keep to yourself, Aurora would probably be more for you. Either place would be a good commute to Buckley though. I have a couple neighbors who work at Buckley, both sr. level officers.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,274 times
I currently rent in a tower near downtown (Golden Triangle). Wife and I are looking at possibly buying a townhouse in Stapleton early next year. Since Stapleton is so big what area would you say is currently the best? IMO from walking around there several times it would be around 29th & Central Park. West of Central Park gets you closer to the neighborhood pool and town center and east gets you closer to the school and Westerly Creek.

Some questions:
- How are your HOA dues calculated, based on SF of your house or location?

- How are your property taxes? I've hears they are higher than the rest of Denver.

- Is there much crime especially burglaries? I know the surrounsung areas can be pretty bad, does that spill over?

- How is the King Soopers on Quebec? I've heard not great. My wife loves being close to Safeway and Whole Foods.

- What are your main pros and cons of living in Stapleton?

Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM

75 posts, read 290,800 times
HOA is 38 dollars - not sure if its more if you are in a townhome or condo. Property tax looks like 1% but I will let someone else chime in.

We are moving there next month from out of state. We are currently shopping homes and there are quite a few transfer fees for Stapleton which we didnt know about so keep that in mind.

Regarding areas, I have heard the areas to the south look older. There are quite a few commercial building down there (police training facility, news station). Areas to the north are newer, less mature trees. Areas to the east dont have a towncenter yet. We are going after homes pretty much centrally located amongst stapleton so south of central park or MLK but north of 26th.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
HOA is 38 dollars - not sure if its more if you are in a townhome or condo. Property tax looks like 1% but I will let someone else chime in.
Town homes are more. When we were considering them, I saw HOAs anywhere upto $325. Look at real-estate ads - they normally tell you what the HOA is.

Quote:
We are moving there next month from out of state. We are currently shopping homes and there are quite a few transfer fees for Stapleton which we didnt know about so keep that in mind.
What do you mean by Transfer Fees? We are buying a new home there and have not heard of them.

Quote:
Regarding areas, I have heard the areas to the south look older. There are quite a few commercial building down there (police training facility, news station). Areas to the north are newer, less mature trees. Areas to the east dont have a towncenter yet. We are going after homes pretty much centrally located amongst stapleton so south of central park or MLK but north of 26th.

Interested to hear others thoughts.
I think the area south of 29th, north of the creek (can't remember what its called), and west of Central Park is very nice. It is the oldest part of Stapleton - all of 8 years, and the mature trees are very attractive.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
I think the area south of 29th, north of the creek (can't remember what its called), and west of Central Park is very nice. It is the oldest part of Stapleton - all of 8 years, and the mature trees are very attractive.
I agree just based on observation. It's near the town center and surrounds the pool. It will be interesting to see what ends up getting built along the south side of MLK...I have heard townhomes like the ones that line 29th, hopefully more like the brick ones that remind me of DC/Philadelphia.

I do like the newer neighborhood north of Central Park and east of Central Park Blvd., especially since it will be adjacent to the big town center and light rail station in a few years. I have heard it will be something like Belmar but with more residential above the stores and restaurants, all next to the station along Smith Rd. Not sure if/when RK Mechanical will move...that would improve the northern section of that neighborhood.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the east town center at MLK & Havana. I know a grocery store was originally planned but I've heard it may go in at MLK & Peoria instead (likely a King Soopers) which could leave the door open for a Whole Foods or Sunflower near Havana. Stapleton really needs more grocery options.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM

75 posts, read 290,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiW View Post
Town homes are more. When we were considering them, I saw HOAs anywhere upto $325. Look at real-estate ads - they normally tell you what the HOA is.

What do you mean by Transfer Fees? We are buying a new home there and have not heard of them.

Fees - Stapleton Community Association

Central park runs east west (from the look of google maps) and the creek I think you speak of you is Westerly creek. Did you mean west of westerly creek and south of central park?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Fees - Stapleton Community Association

Central park runs east west (from the look of google maps) and the creek I think you speak of you is Westerly creek. Did you mean west of westerly creek and south of central park?
I meant between 29th & 26th & west of Central Park Avenue. There is a greenway just south of 26th that I was referring to as the creek - I can't really see a creek/stream there on google maps, but thought there was one running through it.

I like the area north of central park and east of CP Avenue and the area that is being called Central Park West (which sounds really grand . Nice mix of town homes, small & large houses, a pool and easy access to green space, the highway and the future transport hub.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
I currently rent in a tower near downtown (Golden Triangle). Wife and I are looking at possibly buying a townhouse in Stapleton early next year. Since Stapleton is so big what area would you say is currently the best? IMO from walking around there several times it would be around 29th & Central Park. West of Central Park gets you closer to the neighborhood pool and town center and east gets you closer to the school and Westerly Creek.

Some questions:
- How are your HOA dues calculated, based on SF of your house or location?

- How are your property taxes? I've hears they are higher than the rest of Denver.

- Is there much crime especially burglaries? I know the surrounsung areas can be pretty bad, does that spill over?

- How is the King Soopers on Quebec? I've heard not great. My wife loves being close to Safeway and Whole Foods.

- What are your main pros and cons of living in Stapleton?
I live in the Eastbridge neighborhood and have never had crime issues, or heard of anything out of the ordinary. I have no issues with the King Soopers, other than it's often crowded. It's in the middle of a remodel, so it's been more of a PITA lately, but otherwise, it seems fine to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver