Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I've had people tell me that I'm putting on heirs when I use vocabulary that they aren't familiar with. (Mostly however, on forums, not in real life.) The funny thing is, I'm being completely real. I do not talk down to people even if I detect that they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I give them the benefit of the doubt, because sometimes people are just introverted, or not confident or not good speakers.
introwhat?

Last edited by hello-world; 10-07-2007 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Blair View Post
That's funny...I'm helping a couple find a home in Park Hill that just moved here from NYC about two months ago. They lived in Manhattan their entire lives and have taught me a lot of new words. They have to explain what they mean to me b/c I have no idea!

They are an artist and musician and seem to love it here. The biggest challenge is adjusting their schedules b/c they stay up all night and sleep until 4 in the afternoon!
did you respond with blank stares?

there must be a sociological study or something out there on this kind of thing. i have seen the average IQ in colorado is, relatively, not low on a state basis (i've wondered about this for a while now ), but the education system (of colorado) is relatively poorer by a bunch of measures (whereas that in NYC has recently been winning awards). i wonder if the difference in education and exposure (to other perspectives, ideas, words...) between the two places has a bit to do with it?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post

there must be a sociological study or something out there on this kind of thing. i have seen the average IQ in colorado is, relatively, not low on a state basis (i've wondered about this for a while now ), but the education system (of colorado) is relatively poorer by a bunch of measures (whereas that in NYC has recently been winning awards). i wonder if the difference in education and exposure (to other perspectives, ideas, words...) between the two places has a bit to do with it?
on second thought, maybe more a matter of "relax - why the big words?" in CO

yeah - i will now stop conversing with myself and give up the floor...

Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Well, I don't know about all your ideas, but the receptionist who said "plethora" went to college in Michigan. On the other hand, maybe she just reads a lot. Authors like to use big words. Anyway, I knew what she meant b/c I like to read too. I used to look up all the words I didn't know; now I usually just guess.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-07-2007 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, I don't know about all your ideas, but the receptionist who said "plethora" went to college in Michigan. On the other hand, maybe she just reads a lot. Authors like to use big words. Anyway, I knew what she meant b/c I like to read to. I used to look up all the words I didn't know; now I usually just guess.
i know. to be honest, i think a big part of this is just sort of regional/cultural. someone once said to me "colorado's just laid back". i'd just hope it's not so laid back that people forget about the value of education and cultural exposure (in grade school, for example). what's right? what's wrong? who knows? if people with differences (accents, ways of viewing things) are written off, that seems wrong to me. it seems like some of that does happen here, and maybe due to all the above, but it happens lots of places including, from what i can see, NY where hbud and roseba are talking about. obviously i tend to think a little more respect and appreication for some foreign things can help. but my opinion's one of many. part of the fun, i guess.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM

27 posts, read 60,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post

I've lived back east (NY) and out west (Cali, Oregon, Texas). Let me tell you, there is a vast difference between eastern and western ppl, esp ppl from the NE vs ppl from the general west. But, easterners and westerners are very different in many viewpoints and perception.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,793 times
Default Queens New York here

In re to your inquiry, I have experienced some backlash to a certain extent from people out here after learning that I am from New York, and that's Queens New York, not upstate New York. Queens born and raised and worked in Manhattan for a large portion of my life. I think that a majority of that backlash is because we are seen as rude, blunt, hasty, rough around the edges, etc. To a certain extent that may be true but I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing or flaw in characteristics. To be quite frank, I prefer being blunt as opposed to being a flake or someone too timid to say no or just simply, speak my mind.

The thing to focus on is not whether the people will accept you because you do not need acceptance. What you need to focus on is the reason why you're coming out here, whether it be because of a job transition, new scenery, less expenses, less crowdedness, or better weather. People come and go in my opinion and I can straight up tell you that they are definitely not the reason why I moved out here, whether that be native Coloradans or transplants from Cali. and Texas.

In re to what makes a New Yorker so unattractive, try looking at the flipside at what makes a some of the people out here so unattractive. Take for instance the WASP yuppies. They lack culture, all mostly drive Audi's with OBAMA stickers and YES we can plastered all over their bumpers, mostly all bicycle with logos on their shirts and shorts as if they are in the Tour De France, mostly all own dogs (even if they dislike dogs they will own one because it is the yuppie thing to do), they cover their windows and porches with Buddhist flags although I am sure not many know exactly what the hell they even mean, they love their flip flops, and I'm sure a certain percentage of them sneak off to Boulder once per month for self love seminars run by some former hippie.

As alluded to before, I came out here for the views not the people and so should you. Nonetheless, we all must coexist even if some of our neighbors dislike us and vice versa. Namaste!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:39 PM

299 posts, read 712,028 times
That namaste at the end of your post was very New York

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 AM

36 posts, read 85,329 times
I moved to Colorado to escape New York & NYers - never ever liked it back East. Personally, I am very very surprised that a lot of them end up showing up here in Colorado - and not just from NYC, but from the whole tri-state area. They do stick out like sore thumbs. I just hope they won't ruin Colorado as they ruined things back East *sigh*. When I see the car with a Yankee sign or a Yankee hat on somebody, I want to smack them.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,793 times
I'd welcome the day for someone to try and slap the Yankee off my head. I'd bet my $100 to your $1 you wouldn't get very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: