Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Soooo, you moved from CO to CA, huh? Been pondering those two states as possible relocation locations. I must admit, though, I grew up in MA and love, love, loved being able to drive to the coast. I live in AZ right now and the mountains and mountain cities are nice (especially Sedona and Flagstaff), but there is something magical about the ocean to me.

Would love to hear how you are adjusting over there?
Love it, because like you, I need an ocean, but we all differ. I've lived on 4 continents, 7 countries & almost a dozen US states, so adjustment is my middle name. The only place I've ever lived, which I don't like is Boston... no offense being that you're from the Bay State... just so much of it is not my cup of tea (no Boston Tea Party pun intended).

So much depends on your wants, needs, income, age, job prospects, family, friends, relationships, savings, desire to make it work or just winging it. I've done more of the latter, thrive on change & just make it work... always has. For example, I've never found it helpful to visit a place before moving, which I've done only twice... in my opinion, waste of money. Visiting & living in a city are so completely different... you don't get to feel the grit or find the best 'til you're entrenched. Plus, most major cities are filled with tourists or transplants... many of who will be gone once you move, so it's hard to get an idea of what people are truly like... again, in my opinion. Many others will disagree... I'm telling you what I've done. I've taken virtually every apartment sight unseen (never had a bad one because I do my research & initially move into apt complexes, not independent landlord housing) & taken jobs via over-the-phone interviews. I'm fearless, have a bit of luck but mostly am very optimistic.

Don't go by what I say or trust the nervous nellies either. View YT videos on different parts of each city, figure out what you'd like your off-time to be like (I hibernate during winter if it's cold, so I don't want an icy, snowy locale any longer), read any state/city site on each. People are lovely in both places. I find SD to be more festive in many ways, possibly because it's sunny, you can wear light clothing vitrually all year long & people reflect that a bit more... they're lighter in attitude. I love leaving my house, anytime day or night & not having to worry about a heavy coat, umbrella, boots. COL is higher in the downtown SD area, but I lived in an upscale rental in CO so my rent was high for that area.

At this stage of my life, I decided upon an area where I feel I'd have the most fun during downtime. Met my SO in CO, so it was worth the move there, but I'm glad to be back in sunny SD. I've no problem moving to another coastal CA town, but I doubt I'll ever leave this state unless I return to Europe, which we most likely will do upon retirement.

Decide what's best for you, be sensible, follow your heart. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You could have just gotten a license through CA. If you are a licensed driver it would be in their system. If you live in CA, shouldn't you get a CA license anyway? Hopefully you don't get pulled over...
Yes, dear. Just got here. Will be getting one soon. Breathe & relax...

Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yes, dear. Just got here. Will be getting one soon. Breathe & relax...
I'm relaxed. I'm just perplexed as to why you'd go through the trouble of replacing a license from a state that you no longer live in. It would have been a lot simpler to have gone to the California DMV to get a CA license. It really doesn't matter if you just moved to CA.... that's kinda when all of this sort of stuff is supposed to be done.

Glad you found your license, though.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I'm relaxed. I'm just perplexed as to why you'd go through the trouble of replacing a license from a state that you no longer live in.
No hard feelings, but, re-read the initial post. Reasoning & details are all there.

Quote:
It would have been a lot simpler to have gone to the California DMV to get a CA license. It really doesn't matter if you just moved to CA.... that's kinda when all of this sort of stuff is supposed to be done.

Glad you found your license, though.
Again, re-read the initial post. Thanks, glad I found it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: