Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 14,670 times

Advertisements

This is so disheartening I was planning to move to Denver as well, but I'm very weary of Colorado now.

Prayers to everyone xxx

Old 07-20-2012, 01:40 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,852,323 times
We live in Florida and our family was saddened by todays tragedy in Aurora, CO. and wanted everyone in Colorado to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, esp. those directly impacted by today's events. May you find comfort in your surroundings, family, friends, counseling, spirituality, etc.

Peace!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,562,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
One of the victims, Jessica Ghawi, was an aspiring sportscaster and actually just survived the Toronto mall shooting over a month ago. Honestly, the chance of being involved in a mass shooting is probably nearly 1 in a billion. The chance to be involved in two .. astronomical.

This is a blog post she wrote online after surviving the Toronto shooting. It's chilling to say the least.

"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders’ faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.
I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given".
I listen to 104.3 where she supposedly worked and they are all shook up. She had too much life left to go out like this as well as all the other victims. I am really having a hard time with this.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM

77 posts, read 112,431 times
Default Tragedies are the exact time to discuss these things

Tragedies like this are exactly the time to discuss how we can avoid these things in the future. When planes crash, we talk about improving airplane safety. When a drunk driver kills someone, we talk about how to improve laws and enforcement. If we just wring our hands and shrug whenever the topic is gun violence, then this type of thing will keep happening (as it does). The NRA and its supporters should be ashamed for not contributing any type of constructive input into how we can avoid these types of gun violence in the future, whether it be through better education or gun control laws or improved psychological services.

Like it or not, there's a strong correlation between states with gun control laws and less gun violence, including both criminal and non-criminal. To silence any talk of this, such that we never do anything about gun violence, only increases the likelihood of future gun violence. The best thing you can do for the victims is to make sure their deaths weren't in vain, and that as a society maybe we can learn something to prevent such senseless violence in the future.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,067,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelvedere View Post
Tragedies like this are exactly the time to discuss how we can avoid these things in the future. When planes crash, we talk about improving airplane safety. When a drunk driver kills someone, we talk about how to improve laws and enforcement. If we just wring our hands and shrug whenever the topic is gun violence, then this type of thing will keep happening (as it does). The NRA and its supporters should be ashamed for not contributing any type of constructive input into how we can avoid these types of gun violence in the future, whether it be through better education or gun control laws or improved psychological services.

Like it or not, there's a strong correlation between states with gun control laws and less gun violence, including both criminal and non-criminal. To silence any talk of this, such that we never do anything about gun violence, only increases the likelihood of future gun violence. The best thing you can do for the victims is to make sure their deaths weren't in vain, and that as a society maybe we can learn something to prevent such senseless violence in the future.
There is nothing with wrong addressing gun control laws and such, however, this is not the time or place for that discussion.

The crime scenes are still being processed, the dead still lay where they fell, and there are victims who are still fighting for their lives.

Please, out of respect for the victims and their loved ones, save this discussion for another day.

Last edited by phlinak; 07-20-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Makes you wonder how many more nutjobs are amongst us, scary thought.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:59 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,562,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Makes you wonder how many more nutjobs are amongst us, scary thought.
That is my worry. Remember December 21 is the day Mayan calendar ends. How many nuts are going to come out for that?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,173,079 times
His dead body is what is suppose to be in custody. People caught doing this kind of stuff need to be killed the minute they are caught.We dont need for him to be on TV acting like hes a celebrity and important.The news medai would give him his own talk show if they could. Lets play down who the killer is. Lets keep his mouth shut and his face out of sight. Decent people dont even want to see his face...Get rid of him. Let others know that they will not be famous but DEAD if they do this.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM

704 posts, read 1,786,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
One of the victims, Jessica Ghawi, was an aspiring sportscaster and actually just survived the Toronto mall shooting over a month ago. Honestly, the chance of being involved in a mass shooting is probably nearly 1 in a billion. The chance to be involved in two .. astronomical.

This is a blog post she wrote online after surviving the Toronto shooting. It's chilling to say the least.

"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders’ faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.
I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given".

I think she was right about that. But gifts don't simply come flying out of the sky like meteors and peanut shells. Every gift has a giver. My hope is that she, and all of us, know and appreciate the God who is the giver of those blessings.

I was a Jefferson County high school student when Columbine happened, and as awful as that whole ordeal was, the reality is that God worked in tremendous ways in this community in the aftermath of all of that. It is a rare thing to see a community so focused on the right things like that. Of course it's too bad that it happens only so rarely, and only when really bad things happen, but I suppose you take what you can get, right? If what happened 13 years ago is indicative of the things to come for our area, then I'm confident that the following days, weeks, and even years will be full of remarkable stories of God's grace, healing, and power.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,782,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
His dead body is what is suppose to be in custody. People caught doing this kind of stuff need to be killed the minute they are caught.We dont need for him to be on TV acting like hes a celebrity and important.The news medai would give him his own talk show if they could. Lets play down who the killer is. Lets keep his mouth shut and his face out of sight. Decent people dont even want to see his face...Get rid of him. Let others know that they will not be famous but DEAD if they do this.

The problem with this line of thinking is twofold:

1 - Cops indiscriminately acting like judge, jury, and executioner violate due process, the very underpinning of our judicial system. Without it we are no better than the North Koreas and Syrias of the world.

2 - If the suspect is killed/kills himself without being brought to justice it robs many of the victims' families of closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver