Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM

72 posts, read 123,829 times

Advertisements

Am I supposed to pat your dog when he suddenly Rush at me?I have phobia about dogs after I was grasping injured by a dog when I was 5.

I respect your pet, but please also respect other's feelings.

When I walk around neighborhood, A unleashed dog always rush at me and touch aroud my legs.

I was so scared and I told them I am afraid of dogs.

And, would you believe, she didn't even apologize! She looked so angry at me!

Was I expected by the dog owners in colorado to squat down, kiss their dogs and give their dogs a hug when their dogs come to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 AM

Should I prepare some dog food to distract dog's attention when it is close to me? I feel extremely extremely scared when a dog come charging up to me.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM

345 posts, read 915,791 times
No you do not have to love other people's dogs just like I do not have to love other people's screaming misbehaving kids in stores, pools and etc.

When dogs run at you, ignore them, do not make eye contact or try to push them away, just turn or step to the side and keep going. If the dog follows you or starts hauling ass toward you tell people you are Very allergic and need them to get their dog before you break out in hives. Some people have no concept that Fluffy is something to be feared, so allergy may be the way to go.
Do not feed them or try to distract them, some dogs are not taught to take food nicely and may snatch it out of your hand. Ignore and avoid.

I take one of my dogs hiking, I always keep him on a leash, I wish I could say the same for others, then their dog runs up to mine who is at a disadvantage since he is leashed and I ask them to get their dog since mine is not friendly and does not appreciate other dogs getting into his face. He really does get along with other dogs but the point is leash your darn dog!!

I think there are Dog Whisperer episodes that show you how to deal with dogs, I think it was mail carriers and he showed them how to avoid the dogs or get bit.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,708,733 times
No.

Carry a stun gun. That's what I do. I do not tolerate unleashed dogs, under any circumstances, period.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Thank you for your information,gmm 24.
I really appreciate you always keeping him on a leash when hiking.
Some people don't, they just keep talking to you. "Don't be afraid, he is a nice boy"

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,708,733 times
When someone has an unleashed dog and they say it's not aggressive, I say, "Oh, but I AM aggressive, and so will Animal Control be when they get here to issue you a minimum $177 ticket" (that's the minimum in my city).

I'm elderly, weigh under 100 lbs, and am on blood thinner meds. I can guarantee you I will knock the holy hell out of a dog that runs up on me. Too bad because it's not the fault of the dog, but owners are brainless idiots who don't learn when given gentle suggestions.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,081,143 times
No you are not supposed to love their dogs. I love dogs. I foster dogs for a rescue. I have dogs. I do not love it when an unleashed dog comes charging up to me. Whenever I see an unleashed dog I call ahead to ask them to leash their dog. Most will. Some don't, usually because they can't get the dog to come to them. I do not continue walking toward an unleashed dog. I stand still or move away.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Thank you for your support, Dale Cooper.

Could you tell me where I can find information such as "a minimum $177 ticket in my city?" Is it included in animal control?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
No you are not supposed to love their dogs. I love dogs. I foster dogs for a rescue. I have dogs. I do not love it when an unleashed dog comes charging up to me. Whenever I see an unleashed dog I call ahead to ask them to leash their dog. Most will. Some don't, usually because they can't get the dog to come to them. I do not continue walking toward an unleashed dog. I stand still or move away.
I love animals. I always donate food to them. but I am just scared about unleashed dog towarding me.
Sometime I stand still, the dog still try to touch me which make me even scared. Thank you for your input.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,396,553 times
No one but you has to love your own pet but as a responsible adult it is always wise to control your animals at all times. It is unfortunate you are afraid of dogs, not all of them are like the dog that attacked you when you were a child. I have a dog named Walter who is 65 pounds and he is the biggest, sweetest, pile of mush on the planet. He loves everyone and most everyone loves him because he is so sweet and gentle. That being said I would never allo Walter to run up to you because he is always under my control and he does mind very well all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver